Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Which Motor Do You Prefer and Why?? LRP, Tekin, Novak, Murfdogg, Orion, Ect... >

Which Motor Do You Prefer and Why?? LRP, Tekin, Novak, Murfdogg, Orion, Ect...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Motor Do You Prefer and Why?? LRP, Tekin, Novak, Murfdogg, Orion, Ect...

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 02:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I've only been racing electric this year and so far I have 2 Novak Balistic(8.5 and a 13.5) Kinetic ESC.
B4 has the 8.5 and the T4 has the 13.5.
The one think I first noticed about this set up is that they are very smooth!
Old 12-10-2010, 03:05 PM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by DarthRacer
Uhh. No. I never said that. What I would like is if I sent in a defective motor within the warranty period that they at least take a look at it and tell me if it's under warranty or I broke it. If I broke it I'll gladly pay the $55 replacement.
Our technicians thoroughly evaluate each product returned to us claiming warranty. How else could we make a decision?
Old 12-10-2010, 03:58 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

LRP: rear bearing too deep inside, exposed to way too much heat no matter how much you maintain.

Tekin: sensor failures very common

Novak: haven't killed one yet, after the above issues with lrp and Tekin in Mod sedan
Old 12-10-2010, 04:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NovakTwo
Our technicians thoroughly evaluate each product returned to us claiming warranty. How else could we make a decision?
That's what I expected. I just see that this doesn't apply to the stator based on your website. If that is not the case and you do evaluate all parts of the motor then I have nothing to argue against concerning CS. You are doing what you should be.

I'm just trying to figure out why my motor shorted out and burned up the stator and then ruined the rotor. I had very few runs on it and the timing turned down from stock, using the Havok Pro ESC. Anything you guys test or look for at the factory that could help me determine that? I'm not looking for a replacement since it's been months now, but I'd like to keep my current rebuild of my 17.5 Ballistic working in top shape.

I'm going to apologize to everyone for helping to derail this thread.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:04 PM
Suspended

Old 12-10-2010, 05:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chunkyb
X2

It would be nice to see the discussion get back on-topic, "Which Motor Do You Prefer and Why??", and become a usefull exchange of opinions and information instead of it having turned into just another manufacturer bashing thread that does nobody any good.
I agree with that . I have been running Orion motors for the past few years and I don't see me changing anytime soon I have had nothing but good luck with them .
Old 12-17-2010, 07:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I personally recommend MurfDogg Motors and Tekin ESC's. Yes I am somewhat impartial on my motor recommendations, but I wouldnt put my name on any product that was not up to my expectations. As far as Speedos go, I have no ties to Tekin at all. I believe they have the best ESC currently.

I will however say I played with some Novak stuff recently and it was also impressive. Unfortunately they arrived to the party a year late and I already own about a dozen Tekins.

Alot of you want to argue about blame when it comes to burning up motors. Here are some facts. We are racing with highly specialized electric motors, in varying and far from ideal conditions. That said, sometimes motors burn up.

Yes even my motors burn up. All motors are succeptible to this. I push my motors much harder than I EVER suggest any of my customers do to their MurfDogg Motors. Why? I want to know the threshhold. I want to see what they can take. I have personally burnt up more MurfDogg Motors than anyone, because I want to see what it takes to kill them. And then I tear down the burnt up motors, and analyze them, and save them with my test data. So If and(invevitably) when a customer burns up a MurfDogg Motor, I can make a good decision as to what the problem was, and whether or not to replace the motor.

Novak is known for the best Customer service in the industry.

I am sorry some of you may feel slighted by Novak. I am certain they are not trying to give anyone the shaft.

I have gotten a motor sent back demanding warranty replacement that was obviously over a year old, beat to hell, and had another brand rotor inside of it. When I refused to replace it for free, and offered a replacement at a very discounted rate(which was not something I should have done) I was told to pound sand and had a keyboard jockey badmouthing my products for months.

Long Story short, reputable companies have procedures they follow when inspecting possible warranty situations. Only buy products from reputable companies, and you are saving yourself headaches.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by The MurfDogg
I personally recommend MurfDogg Motors and Tekin ESC's. Yes I am somewhat impartial on my motor recommendations, but I wouldnt put my name on any product that was not up to my expectations. As far as Speedos go, I have no ties to Tekin at all. I believe they have the best ESC currently.

I will however say I played with some Novak stuff recently and it was also impressive. Unfortunately they arrived to the party a year late and I already own about a dozen Tekins.

Alot of you want to argue about blame when it comes to burning up motors. Here are some facts. We are racing with highly specialized electric motors, in varying and far from ideal conditions. That said, sometimes motors burn up.

Yes even my motors burn up. All motors are succeptible to this. I push my motors much harder than I EVER suggest any of my customers do to their MurfDogg Motors. Why? I want to know the threshhold. I want to see what they can take. I have personally burnt up more MurfDogg Motors than anyone, because I want to see what it takes to kill them. And then I tear down the burnt up motors, and analyze them, and save them with my test data. So If and(invevitably) when a customer burns up a MurfDogg Motor, I can make a good decision as to what the problem was, and whether or not to replace the motor.

Novak is known for the best Customer service in the industry.

I am sorry some of you may feel slighted by Novak. I am certain they are not trying to give anyone the shaft.

I have gotten a motor sent back demanding warranty replacement that was obviously over a year old, beat to hell, and had another brand rotor inside of it. When I refused to replace it for free, and offered a replacement at a very discounted rate(which was not something I should have done) I was told to pound sand and had a keyboard jockey badmouthing my products for months.

Long Story short, reputable companies have procedures they follow when inspecting possible warranty situations. Only buy products from reputable companies, and you are saving yourself headaches.
Wow that's messed up sending a motor that is year old for a warranty if I get a full season out of a motor I'm happy . If half of these guy's ran brushed motors they would lose their minds I was good for at least one a month with those .
Old 12-17-2010, 08:58 PM
Tech Champion

I run Tekin and Trinity Epic DUO motors only, with Tekin RS and RX8 ESC's. No reason other than they work.

I've tried a few other brands and they all failed. The most fustrating for me was the Novak Ballistics, weak sensor output, goofy timing shenanigans etc. I won't touch ESC's that aren't easy to replace wires on. I hate it when a wire gets burned by a gear or pinched.
Old 12-18-2010, 09:20 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

All I known is my next motor will be a murffdog.
Old 12-18-2010, 09:35 AM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Tekin motor sensor board PCB's rarely fail. If anyone would know how common any failure is it would be. I've changed less than 5 at all the races and events I've travelled to, period.
Old 12-18-2010, 09:52 AM
Tech Adept

we run tekin motors because they seem to outlast the rest ..
Old 12-18-2010, 11:06 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I run whatever I want. I am not brand loyal when it comes to motors. I try to get what the fast guys are using at the time. I have a murfdogg in my SC10, and a LRP in my B44 and Novak motors in my other vehicles. All motors are comparible to each other these days.