Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Which Motor Do You Prefer and Why?? LRP, Tekin, Novak, Murfdogg, Orion, Ect... >

Which Motor Do You Prefer and Why?? LRP, Tekin, Novak, Murfdogg, Orion, Ect...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Motor Do You Prefer and Why?? LRP, Tekin, Novak, Murfdogg, Orion, Ect...

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 09:41 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Krio
I'm more surprised it took Novak so long to catch up.

Just messin.
Well worth the wait. You can mess all you want Krio. LOL.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:50 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Matt Ward
I also believe it was user error! I run a Novak Ballistic 17.5 with NO complaints.
Originally Posted by iadevil
Just because you run them with NO complaints doesn't mean its user error. Defective products are out there.
I'm with Matt, as it seems there has to be way more cases of user error than there are cases of defective products. Everyone seems pretty quick to blame the manufacturer.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Personally, I prefer and currently race with Murfdogg Synergy Motors, (www.murfdogg.com). I raced each (Novak, Tekin, Orion and LRP motors) with each companies recommended ESC's, timing and gearing setups earlier this season to determine which one performed the best for myself. I chose Murfdogg for its overall power, smooth power band and reacts exceptionally well with ESC timing adjustments. Hands down, the Murfdogg Motor has best results in my opinion (both for stock and Modified applications). The bonus to choosing Murfdogg Motorworks, was the professional level of support and customer service provided by its owner, Matt Murphy. For ESC purposes, I chose the Tekin RS Pro... again for its level of performance, abilities to run Stock and Mod profiles in one ESC, updateability and outstanding customer service. You would not be dissapointed in choosing Murfdogg Motors, recommend visiting the RCTech thread and reading true user feedback. Hope this helps with your future decisions and gets you up and racing soon!
Old 12-10-2010, 10:42 AM
Company Representative

This motor shouldn't be racing in Stock if it can keep up with a 10.5 ? My 17.5 Ballistic Melted down after 2 months and was geared correctly with NO added timing or Boost ! I would not buy a Ballistic - I like my Novak 17.5 SS Pro very much. It has been ran every Wednesday Night for a year and still Strong !
Stock SC10 FDR 7.8 on a dry dirt track Motor Temps where never over 140 until it decieded to stop working and melt 3 coils - I believe the motor was NOT missused ! Go buy your cheap motors t0p_sh0tta
Did they warrenty your Motor or make you pay $55 to get a RMF ? Novak told me that I was inexperienced and they didnt cover it. I passed on spendin another $55 when I spend $100 2 months earlier -
I was running that same motor with the ceramic bearings and better materials with no added timing and it melted 3 coils - so then it was a faulity motor that Novak should of Warrenty but did NOT
you must of been lucky w your Ballistic 17.5 - why did my motor all of a sudden short coils when it ran perfectly fine the race before ? I did NOT change anything - It was never over 140 degrees until the run it decided to quit-
Your motor has been sitting in our Customer Service department for three months awaiting your response. Instead, you post your complaints here and on the other thread. Our motor warranty explicitly does not cover motors with all three coils burnt up (and hasn't for several years).

Motors that perform well for 2 months are not defective from the factory in materials or workmanship (things over which the factory has control). We have no control over the environment, nor the interfacing of other products, in which these motors are raced.

In addition, I have already told you that we could replace your Ballistic with the SS Pro 17.5 which you said that you prefer.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Tekin . Have been dead nuts reliable and I can run alot more gear without melt down.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:53 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Novaktwo, I called customer service I did not want to pay for another Balistic and said they could keep it and left it at that. I did contact them and told them what I wanted to do on 9/30/2010 - So I have responded ! My motor has been sitting there for 3 MONTHS because i told them to keep it - end of story. I have just comment on what others have experienced as well - I didn't create the threads
Old 12-10-2010, 11:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

novak takes care of its customers.

i get a kick out of people complaining about brushless motors blowing up, remember when you had to cut old brushed motors??
Old 12-10-2010, 11:08 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by NovakTwo
Your motor has been sitting in our Customer Service department for three months awaiting your response. Instead, you post your complaints here and on the other thread. Our motor warranty explicitly does not cover motors with all three coils burnt up (and hasn't for several years).

Motors that perform well for 2 months are not defective from the factory in materials or workmanship (things over which the factory has control). We have no control over the environment, nor the interfacing of other products, in which these motors are raced.
Originally Posted by Alex.Eklund
Novaktwo, I called customer service I did not want to pay for another Balistic and said they could keep it and left it at that. I did contact them and told them what I wanted to do on 9/30/2010 - So I have responded ! My motor has been sitting there for 3 MONTHS because i told them to keep it - end of story. I have just comment on what others have experienced as well - I didn't create the threads
So you're saying that unless Novak replaces the motor you burnt up for nothing that you'll just keep posting more lies and rumors?
Old 12-10-2010, 11:11 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by SmItH_aLeX
i get a kick out of people complaining about brushless motors blowing up, remember when you had to cut old brushed motors??
You can spot the newbies a mile away, they're the ones that think BL motors (or any motor) should last forever. Probably started out racing slashes, and think you can beat a car to death and run them into the ground.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:18 AM
Tech Apprentice

Scooters Motorworks hands down. Stronger, faster and more efficeint then any other brand I have run. Best in the biz!
Old 12-10-2010, 11:44 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Novak -

I've had a few different now motors (Novak, Castle, Speed Passion, others) and I have never had any issue with a Novak motor -
I did melt a couple ESC in the past but that was my fault (the snow run was too tempting for the E-Savage) - they were non-warranty replaced
Old 12-10-2010, 11:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chunkyb
I'm with Matt, as it seems there has to be way more cases of user error than there are cases of defective products. Everyone seems pretty quick to blame the manufacturer.
I didn't say all the cases are defective product, just the one that Matt singled out and said user error. I know more often than not its user error. In this case it wasn't.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:56 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chunkyb
So you're saying that unless Novak replaces the motor you burnt up for nothing that you'll just keep posting more lies and rumors?
The motor was still within the 120 day warranty (and last I checked 2 months is less than 120 days) therefore he felt it should've been replaced. He wasn't abusing the motor or doing anything against the recommended running instructions. Just because it took 2 months to break doesn't mean it wasn't defective. I understand that these things wear out, but a $90 motor should last more than 2 months. It would be like buying a new car and 2 months down the road the engine blows then the car manufacturer says "oh well, if it was defective, it wouldn't have lasted 2 months." What a crock. Everything he has said is the truth and not rumor. I guess this line of the warranty lets them get out of all replacements as its their word against the users... "This warranty does not cover incorrect installation, incorrect use of product, components worn by use, tampering, or damage caused by a crash, flooding or natural disaster."
Old 12-10-2010, 11:59 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by iadevil
I didn't say all the cases are defective product, just the one that Matt singled out and said user error. I know more often than not its user error. In this case it wasn't.
I think NovakTwo also pointed out that the one Matt singled out as user error was just that, being as "motors that perform well for 2 months are not defective." We can't blame Novak for every motor somebody burns up.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I like how some of you think that burnt coils are always the customer's fault. If it ran fine several times then blows up suddenly (assuming that gearing and all other factors are OK) that normally means bad workmanship or parts. Yes motors don't last forever but we also expect them to last longer then a handful of runs. How do you guys prove who/what caused the failure of a stator when a customer returns a motor for repair? It seems that it's Novak's opinion that every burnt stator is the customer's fault, which is why I never bothered to contact customer support for an issue I had. I have a Novak 13.5 SS system and it runs flawlessly and I really like it. It just seems there is a higher failure rate on the Ballistic line. I've used Novak products for many years and used them as the base to compare others to, but I'm just not impressed right now. At least I can rebuild a Ballistic motor. It's cheaper for me to replace the parts on my own than to use their trade in program.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.