Wiki Posts
Search

Any car sandrail build

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 10:18 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ifuonlyknew
Pretty cool, but it has been done before. You can buy the one in this pic here.
Wow that sand rail looks so scale. Very nice.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (98%+)

i dont see the need to use solid tubing..also i think brazing would be cleaner and probably stronger than MIG welding...but as it was said,turn up the heat a bit,and dont be afraid to do a series of spot welds instead of a continuos bead.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (97%+)

Originally Posted by bad_b4
i dont see the need to use solid tubing..also i think brazing would be cleaner and probably stronger than MIG welding...but as it was said,turn up the heat a bit,and dont be afraid to do a series of spot welds instead of a continuos bead.
solid tubing is stronger and its is better to weld you dont have to worry about blow throughs. and i do do spot welds the only continuos bead i do is when welding the shock mount plate. and i dont want to braze since my welding is just fine for strength.

I DID NOT SET UP THIS POST TO BE HARPED ON! I mig weld cuz i have it! i am a college student that is trying to make a porduct to fund my rc buying. I do not just have money laying around to spend on my cars since it is all going to school.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (98%+)

not HARPING...just offering friendly advice...but hey,to each their own,good luck with your product.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tq_racing
I DID NOT SET UP THIS POST TO BE HARPED ON! I mig weld cuz i have it! i am a college student that is trying to make a porduct to fund my rc buying. I do not just have money laying around to spend on my cars since it is all going to school.
I think everyone has been pretty reasonable with their comments, and all criticism has been constructive. People are trying to offer help. You can't expect to post something like this and have everyone say it's perfect. You need to have thick skin if you plan to make and market a product, because there will always be criticism.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

The odd thing about welding is that sometimes, a weld can look picture perfect, and fail, whilst at spotty ugly weld, can be very strong.

Just bust out the grinder and get it clean as you can, and from there you can use a body filler like bondo to make everything look nice and seamless. Just apply it with your fingers and sand smooth.

Your frame looks nice.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (98%+)

The frame design, though not to my liking, looks good. But I imagine it ways a pound or so..maybe? Cause solid rod like what you are using adds up quickly, as well as the plate you are using, all combined withe the pound of weld that was on the first frame. It does kinda looked rushed to me, with some layed over welding. Just remember, turn the wire speed down a bit, and slow down. Spot welds can be just as effective as the globs you have on towards the bottom of the chassis.

Tubing would be much better, and force you to take your time so blow throughs wont happen. Also making the buggy a lot lighter. And maybe you could switch out the large plate, for something like fiberglass or carbon fiber, and just make small tabs fixed to the inside of the rails.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:59 PM
Tech Elite

the plates along the bottom is 22 gage sheet metal so that doesnt weigh that much. the only think stuff is like 1/8" and thats where to bulk head and tranny connect. i do it all out of metal for the strength and for the bashers that are buying these.

also for the tubing...i cant find non solid tubing. i have found it at only one place and it was 3x as much as solid and i dont have that kind of money and that would mean the frames would be that much more.

my frames come out to be around $150 and that is made to what you have laying around

me and my brother are starting build #2 tomorrow. should get about half of it done.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:14 PM
Tech Elite

here is the pics from today. we made my brothers rail for his nitro stampede conversion to elec. it is based off a normal 2 seater rail.

the basic plan

main chassie frame

the frame 90% done

Old 12-10-2010, 07:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ifuonlyknew
Pretty cool, but it has been done before. You can buy the one in this pic here.
that car looks like a actual rail,trust me i grew up in glamis and ive been going for 28 years.If i had money to blow that would be a cool project
Old 12-10-2010, 08:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

A bit of advice, i work with fine metals all the time, get a die grinder. Cut a piece of rod, that will fit in the end of the die grinder. Now split the rod vertically about 1 inch down, and slide small strips of sand paper into the cut you made, anywhere from 60-120 grit depending on how smooth you would like. Makes for getting into tight places easy, or use a dremel with small sanding attatchment, although it will take longer. Btw, when your trying to sell something and seem halfway intelligent, use spell check for the love of god. Non solid tubing = tubing. Solid tubing = rod. LOL

Last edited by brickshouse; 12-10-2010 at 08:11 PM. Reason: non soild tubing ...WOW
Old 12-10-2010, 08:10 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by brickshouse
A bit of advice, i work with fine metals all the time, get a die grinder. Cut a piece of rod, that will fit in the end of the die grinder. Now split the rod vertically about 1 inch down, and slide small strips of sand paper into the cut you made, anywhere from 60-120 grit depending on how smooth you would like. Makes for getting into tight places easy, or use a dremel with small sanding attatchment, although it will take longer. Btw, when your trying to sell something and seem halfway intelligent, use spell check for the love of god.
there is still alot of grinding that still needs to be done. that is why i said 90% not 100%
Old 12-19-2010, 09:23 PM
Tech Elite

here is the two rails we made last week. one is like a sandrail the other is like a baja off road truck racer. mad ethe trailer to have the truck pull the rail.

if you would like to buy PM me and we can talk

ill post some more pics tomorrow when my camra is working. these are off my phone
Old 03-11-2012, 07:44 PM
Tech Rookie

Hey TQ, are you still building these rails? I see you are in Sandy, I live in Salem and looking to build a rail like the purple one.