Search

Possessed SC10 FT...Help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 10:56 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Default Possessed SC10 FT...Help!

Guys,

Raced the Hemet Competition Raceway 2d Annual Turkey Shoot yesterday and had a blast! Signed up for two classes, but only go to run one!

I had some serious prolems with the electronics in my SC10 FT and was wondering what ideas you guys might have. Below is my problem and current setup:

Setup: AE DS1015 servo
LRP SXX v2 ESC
LRP X12 8.5T motor
Airtronics 9744 2.4GHz receiver
Airtronics M11X radio

Problem: Possessed vehicle. I got one qualifying session out of it before it went pale side up during my second qualifier and main. It seemed as soon as I got around other cars on the track or made a little contact with whatever it would just pin the throttle, lock the servo in one direction or the other and just spin out completely out of control. It would not stop until a turn marshall turned the car off!

Here is the really weird part. Put it back on the bench and test everything and it worked fine. Take it into the parking lot and it worked fine.

I checked all of the wiring and there was nothing loose or broken. I have no idea what it could be.

I am fairly new to sensored steups and the only thing I could suggest might have been a sensor wire, but would a bad sensor wire cause the car to spaz out like that?

I have no problem paying good money to race and not being able to finish cause of a broken vehicle, but when I cant explain it and dont even know where to start...chaps de ass!

Thanks Guys,

Jim
Old 11-28-2010, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Sensor wire won't cause that, not that I've ever seen or heard anyway. my money is on antena routing/location. Picks would be nice but maybe not needed..
Old 11-28-2010, 11:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Have you tried to rebind the radio? Might be worth a shot... and free!

Double/triple check all your other wires.

What do you have set for failsafes? maybe some kind of glitch going on and couldnt "see" the radio? Along with that, you might want to check on your battery connectors/wires in your transmitter. Ive seen this before, the system will just turn on/off as wires move and gain/lose contact.

Other than radio gear, you could have something going crazy internally somewhere in a servo or the esc and it glitches the system from the inside? You may have gear that conflicts with one another?

not sure what else i could think of rite now...
Old 11-29-2010, 09:33 AM
Tech Elite

Sounds like your failsafe is kicking in when the receiver loses the radio signal.Check your car's wiring and your radio battery connections.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:55 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

As crazy as it sounds I would check and replace the transmitter batteries... if they are marginal it would cause intermittent loss of signal which could nail your failsafe... sounds like your failsafe isnt set right though either... should turn.. but go to neutral...
Old 11-29-2010, 10:00 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I would have to agree with attempting to rebind the radio first. I had a similar problem a couple of weeks ago and it turned out the the "binding" just did not take. Was a first for me. Definitely an easy solution for you to try. Good luck and keep us posted on your findings!!
Old 11-29-2010, 10:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

or try running a glitch buster/power cap on your receiver... this worked for me but I'm still using 75mhz fm radio... I was also using LRP sxx with an 8.5t X12 and my airtronics servo was wanting just way too much amps so the signal would get weak but with the cap its awesome now
Old 11-29-2010, 11:52 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Justin33
or try running a glitch buster/power cap on your receiver... this worked for me but I'm still using 75mhz fm radio... I was also using LRP sxx with an 8.5t X12 and my airtronics servo was wanting just way too much amps so the signal would get weak but with the cap its awesome now
I think its either this, or you might have a slightly weak battery. If its voltage drops just enough to trigger the Rx to reset, it will do crazy stuff like that... like a runaway kicking into failsafe.