Wiki Posts
Search

Losi 810E - The Ultra Lightweight Electric 1/8

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 10:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default Losi 810E - The Ultra Lightweight Electric 1/8

So FedEx dropped off my brand new Losi 810 today. Within 15 minutes of the truck driver ringing my door bell, I had all that nitro stuff ripped out of the car.

My goal with this project is to build an ultra lightweight electric 8th scale for the indoor season. I thought the 810 would be the perfect platform since the car is already super light. Box stock in nitro RTR form, it is sub 6lbs with the tires. I want to build an electric version that weights no more than 6.25lbs. My Xray 808 is the lightest box stock car on the market and with a relatively naked conversion and a small 6s 2650 pack, it weighs in right about 7.25lbs. This Losi could be a full pound lighter which would yield significant gains in efficiency/run time. Basically, I am thinking of this car as an 8th scale in durability, but really more 10th scale in weight and size. Kind of the best of both worlds.

The 810 is definitely a RTR platform. The diffs had vaseline in them! LOL. The shock towers are stamped aluminum. However, I think with a little TLC and hop ups, the car can be a race machine. It will have to be broken down completely.

I'm planning to use an Elite RC motor mount and battery tray. I picked up the rc-monster center diff spur. I will probably run it on 6s 2650/T8 1400 or a 3s setup with a Novak/Tekin motor. Not really sure yet.

Here are a few pictures and simulated weights showing the 810 next to my 808.

Old 11-27-2010, 10:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Man that is light. I've been thinking of picking one of these up to run on 2s being that I kept thinking that it can't be heavier than my SLASH converted and your pics confirmed my hunch was right. My only thing would be to use the 8 center spur diff gear instead to help get the speed up again. I see that esc needs more room maybe that chassis from elite will make that room, but those are just my thoughts. Thanks for posting the pics of the weight.
Old 11-27-2010, 10:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

A set of cf shock towers and cf top diff plate, plus some other bits would get it under 6lbs fully converted and track ready.
Old 11-27-2010, 11:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Very nice good job on the conversion. That is quite light for an 1/8th scale buggy. Let us know how it works on the track. Post up a vid if you can.
Old 11-27-2010, 11:29 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jzemaxx
A set of cf shock towers and cf top diff plate, plus some other bits would get it under 6lbs fully converted and track ready.
Yeah, I am hoping Losi or someone else comes out with some race spec parts for it. I think it will be sub 6lbs with some good quality hop ups. There was a good 2 or 3 extra ounces in the picture as the Tekin motor is a 1515 sized can instead of the 1512. I think the new Tekin SC motor would probably be perfect for it.
Old 11-27-2010, 11:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Ya but sometime if it is to light it can to hard to drive.
Old 11-28-2010, 01:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Here's a video of the Losi 810-E in action. Nick Black (co-owner of OCRC) is driving one, it's the Yellow buggy. You can see how much smaller it is than the normal 1/8th buggies. He drove it VERY well and led the majority of the race and ended up 2nd. The only place that I would think it would be at a slight disadvantage would be the woops due to a slightly shorter wheelbase. I'm very impressed with it so far from what I've seen. Nick was under powered, not sure what motor he was running, but a lot of the other guys had more motor than him but that's easily fixed.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRb812.../9/5iPJnuIt410

BTW, that awesome Turn Marshaling, the guy in front, yeah that's me lol
Old 11-28-2010, 05:20 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

really looks good, cant wait to see how it turns out, was thinking of doing this as a project as well
Old 11-28-2010, 07:57 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

At 6lbs. would alternative power setups be a reasonable possibility? Perhaps a 550 motor on 3s? This would bring weight down even more and with a higher kv/turn motor you could play the timing game more effectively. This presents some interesting possibilities.

Lighter cars are only harder to drive it power output hasn't been adjusted accordingly in my opinion. This was discussed at length when we began running lipo in 1/10th cars (and guys would add 6oz to get weight back) but we eventually figured it out and now most guys are running down near legal weight.
Old 11-28-2010, 08:41 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Davidka
At 6lbs. would alternative power setups be a reasonable possibility? Perhaps a 550 motor on 3s? This would bring weight down even more and with a higher kv/turn motor you could play the timing game more effectively. This presents some interesting possibilities.

Lighter cars are only harder to drive it power output hasn't been adjusted accordingly in my opinion. This was discussed at length when we began running lipo in 1/10th cars (and guys would add 6oz to get weight back) but we eventually figured it out and now most guys are running down near legal weight.
My buddy is converting an 810 too and will use a Novak 550 motor. I'm thinking those motors will be perfect from a power standpoint. Also considering the 1410 Castle SC motor as well. The standard 1512 sized cans are going to have too much power (already have too much in a standard 1/8 buggy). I believe 3s is the right voltage for this car.

All the parts on the car look exactly like a regular 8 except they are about 20% smaller.
Old 11-28-2010, 08:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I am also working on the same kind of idea at OutFrontFrames. This is my converted '10 spec 808 that I raced at the RC Pro Finals. The car in this photo weighs in at 7lbs rtr. However over the winter there will be some major changes to drop the weight even further. My goal is a little under 6lbs rtr.. if not less..
I want to use a long can '550' size motor, Tekin R1 Pro and possibly a 2s battery. Lightweight cars just need a different outlook on setup. Traditional tactics don't apply as well.
Old 11-28-2010, 11:34 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default how much

How much...looks really nice.
Old 11-28-2010, 12:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

What class will these "light" 1/8ths run in? The idea is neat, but it appears to be even farther from an accepted class than E-1/8th already is (not sure about anyone else, but I tend to feel like the red-headed, stepchild when I try running E-1/8th).

In terms of weight. The Sc 550 motors will save about 1 ounce over the 1512 series motors. The biggest gains will probably be running the 3S battery and smaller 1/10th controllers (MMP?).
Old 11-28-2010, 12:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)

What is roar minimum weight? Not that I care but. I assume this would end up a ways under whatever the number is. I think its a great idea for indoors.
Old 11-28-2010, 12:20 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by kufman
What class will these "light" 1/8ths run in? The idea is neat, but it appears to be even farther from an accepted class than E-1/8th already is (not sure about anyone else, but I tend to feel like the red-headed, stepchild when I try running E-1/8th).

In terms of weight. The Sc 550 motors will save about 1 ounce over the 1512 series motors. The biggest gains will probably be running the 3S battery and smaller 1/10th controllers (MMP?).
Locally, I am going to run it like any other electric 1/8th... with the nitros. LOL. Weight wise, it is definitely under the limit, but I highly doubt anyone cares. ROAR obviously is a bit behind the times when it come sto this class and I don't see them allowing it at the Nationals, but I would surprised if anyone else actually cared.

I think this type of car is perfect for indoor racing. A little smaller and lighter. Not really sure if it would stand up to the larger outdoor tracks we race one.

I am going to use the MMPro, but mine is getting repaired.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.