Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone else in my boat?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 07:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

people usually dont like what they suck at!

I much rather 2wd buggy. tires and bodies are cheaper.

One real positive about SC is that they have been a huge contributor to gaining new racers. RTR and in kit form the LHS can sell these all day long. Much easier then a 300$ buggy in a small box.... We have grown our offroad club alot because of this easy to get into class. We spec at 13.5bl to keep things under control.. what i have seen happen is these new guys get hooked and then usually want a second class and grab a buggy..
Old 11-26-2010, 07:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

I got an SC in trade a few months back and drove it for 1/2 battery..........

As others have said, it's not for everyone and there are plenty of other vehicles to run.
Old 11-26-2010, 07:38 AM
Tech Adept

Short course is still hot at our local track. It's what got me back into the hobby after many years removed. I love it! I'm lucky enough to race at a facility with many national champions and factory drivers who get those trucks around the track in times as quick as other 1/10th classes. When I got into it, pro2 was all the rage - 10.5 motor limit made for some fun times, but now we run pro mod (unlimited 2wd sc) or pro lite(13.5 2wd sc). Pro lite is such close racing, one or two seconds in a race could mean second or 10th place. As far as dirty racing goes, I ran the JC States last weekend and SC was as clean as any other class running. Now if I was going from 1/8 buggy to SC, maybe my opinion would be similar, but I love SC for what it is.
Old 11-26-2010, 07:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

There was two deciding factors for me to get out of SC. #1 we get alot of wind and when you go off a jump the big body gets grabbed by the wind and you are often thrown 2 or 3 feet off course in the midst of a jump. #2 our large outdoor track is so rough and ungroomed that those size tires allow the trucks to get tossed arounf like a rag doll without any real control. On an indoor track that is smooth I'd love to get back in to them but thats about the only way. 1/8 truggy on large rough poor condition tracks is the best way to go.
Old 11-26-2010, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Joel Lagace
people usually dont like what they suck at!

I much rather 2wd buggy. tires and bodies are cheaper.

One real positive about SC is that they have been a huge contributor to gaining new racers. RTR and in kit form the LHS can sell these all day long. Much easier then a 300$ buggy in a small box.... We have grown our offroad club alot because of this easy to get into class. We spec at 13.5bl to keep things under control.. what i have seen happen is these new guys get hooked and then usually want a second class and grab a buggy..
Love em' or hate em' they have saved 1/10th scale racing IMO. And some of the new racers will move on to other classes building the car count for the classes that you DO like. IMO if you're a 1/8th scale nitro guy you're not gonna like them and they really don't belong on a 1/8th scale track anyway, mod 4x4 maybe but not 2wd. If your track is an outdoor 1/8th anything 1/10th scale is gonna suck, again IMO.
Old 11-26-2010, 11:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Interesting topic. I started with 1/8 electric buggy and recently picked up stock truck which I really enjoy. Was considering a third class and trying to decide between SC and 2wd buggy. I was already leaning towards buggy but looks like this thread helped make that decision.

FYI, my local track is trying to get a Hyper TT 1/10 4wd truggy class going. That looks way more interesting than SC...
Old 11-26-2010, 11:10 AM
Tech Fanatic

The thing I have noticed is that the hugely popular SC trucks get the people starting out to the track. Cheap, easy to drive, very forgiving, and plenty of options to upgrade. Once they start racing (myself included - and get better; myself not included), they are looking on to something else.

Our track started with a huge SC showing. While the SCs (2 and 4wd) are still the largest class. More and more people are transitioning to the 1/8 buggies for the speed and precision, and there is tons of talk about 1/10 2 and 4wd buggies for next season. Both of those sound/look like a blast. But I do love the SC racing.
Old 11-26-2010, 11:51 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I bought a 2wd slash to play around with. I just think they handle like crap, and it's like a big slow turtle going around the track. I'll stick to 1/8th scale.
Old 11-26-2010, 01:41 PM
Tech Adept

At our track they rent sc's, a few came with slashes in 2x4 and 4x4 version as 1st cars but immediately switched to buggies, so no class is going, everybody loving 2 and 4wd buggy. I got very bored with my sc10ft, may sell but prob keep it, maybe someday there will be a class in aclub race event.
Old 11-26-2010, 02:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)

Originally Posted by t0p_sh0tta
They're damn near indestructible, easy to drive and usually have the largest classes. I think SC is a BLAST! After driving 2wd buggy, SC is a walk in the park. There's a little rubbing/bumping involved, but it's an awesome time. It's the most fun class that I run in. 2wd buggy is the most rewarding.
on the sc part and 2wd buggy.
Old 11-26-2010, 02:24 PM
Tech Elite

we run an indoor track and they look very cool on the track. They suck outdoors. Our LHS built a track with very large jumps. Once these trucks got in the air you needed wings to keep them under control. IT got to the point where even though you could do the tripple you had to single double just to avoid letting air get under the body...

Here a vid of our B-main last weekend. Excuse the hacking we had some Quebec'rs out LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXvLOgz7yCM
Old 11-26-2010, 02:37 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Nice track. Been a while since I've seen indoor dirt that requires knobs on the tires.
Old 11-26-2010, 03:34 PM
Tech Master

i have tried sc and after several years of racing truck and buggy i just didn't like the feel...
Old 11-26-2010, 03:45 PM
Tech Addict

I loved SC when it was brand new and a bunch of the fast guys got them just to screw around with and take each other (atleast at our track) but then people started taking it really seriously. That's what killed it for me. I ran it because it was a step back from Nitro and it was more of a "fun" class. While Nitro is still really fun, it is wayyyy more competitive than SC.

Just my opinion, it's a good idea, but I think it is hurting 1/8 racing. It may be helping the hobby, but until the SC guys start graduating to the other classes, 1/8 racing will continue to struggle. Same thing goes for the other 1/10 classes (2wd, Truck, 4wd).

Just my $.02
Old 11-27-2010, 04:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (99%+)
Default Me!

Originally Posted by RC8daBOMB
Hey guys,

I got a question. Has anyone else tried short course and just not enjoy it? I have tried 2wd SCT and 4wd SCT and didn't "love" either one.
Ive tried several SCTs amd really don't "feel" the craze. I am a basher and there wheels are much to little for clearing terrain. They dont handle all that well. I know everyone loves them, but there really not for me. I would rather STs and MTs
But yes..They did gain the hobby alot of new people and helped out the industry. I spent my share on them!

Last edited by RCaddict0; 11-28-2010 at 03:20 PM.