R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 07-20-2004, 03:45 PM   #1
Tech Initiate
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default what brushless system is better?

hey, i'm thinking of going brushless in my xxx buggy or xxx-t, any suggestions of which one to get? i've been hearing the novak system has some problems with thermal shutdown. also, for those of you that have them, what has been your experience.

Seedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 08:33 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Hey Seedy

If your Racing the ONLY one thats legal is the Novak... If its just local Racing Hacker is coming out with a New Mod motor and controller. But I'm not sure if Hacker is Making the Controller or just re-covering someone elses ...

Great Racing!!!

Brad Gotori
bgotori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 08:41 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

ive had the novak 5800 for about 8 mo now and cant say enough good things about it. there customer support is great. on the other hand the hacker is a little more powerful but if it goes south youll be waiting on it for 2-3 months vs novaks 1-2 weeks good luck!!
www.rchr.biz / www.pinshophobbies.com/www.wolcotthobby.com/STL Custom Hobbies
thedoc329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 08:58 PM   #4
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Seedy: I highly recommend the Novak 5800 Brushless! Practically maintenance free plus it's got great amounts of torque! Novak customer Sefvice is 2nd to None! Charlie S. over there will always take care of you! The thermal shutdown problems have been addressed and fixed. If anything, my best advice is to avoid overgearing. The 5800 is probably equvalent to about 12 Double so it's great for a Buggy or Stadium Truck and an absolute missle for Off-Road 4wd! I now own 6 of the them for use in my off-road racing kits! Best of Luck!

STEALTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 03:55 AM   #5
Tech Legend
Trader Rating: 205 (100%+)

Alot of guys at my LHS track run the Novak Brushless and love it. Also, the customer service they get is a plus.

Since Roar has approved the novak brushless, if you want somethhing that is considered ROAR legal, the brushless is a good way to go.

Power is about a 12 turn from what I can tell, offroad can be alittle more decieving though.
< Team Associated RC10B6D>
< Durango DESC410V2, DEX410V5>
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 05:24 AM   #6
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

The Novak is good for a descent amount of power and good customer service. Mine has been sent back 3 times and it has always been taken care of. The other companies like Hacker, Lehner, Kontronik and Aveox offer much more power but at a higher price. Right now there aren't too many good controllers for these systems. Schulze probably has the best with the U-Force 75 controller. It can run brushed or brushless motors, is splash proof and programmable. The schulze controller is more than the whole novak system, but can handle about 5 time the power of the novak controller and it is sensorless. I think novak needs to work on this even to power their own motor. The super sport controller gets quite hot without a fan. In my T3 I gear it around 87/17 and I probably need to go down on the pinion about 1 or 2 teeth still. The T3's gearbox ratio is 2.4 same as XXXT.

Systems that I own:

Aveox RC7 with L160 controller
Lehner Basic 4200 with Hacker Car sport controller
Novak Super sport 5800

The aveox has the most brute power, but the throttle response is weird for cars, go figure for an airplane company. The RC7 is only a 3800 rpm/v motor so it has to be geared high 87/22 to get speed. Motor is slightly oversized and uses 4-40 screws instead of 3mm.

The Lehner/Hacker combo was awesome, but my controller died last October and I am still waiting to get it back from Hacker. There are redesigning their stuff and someday the new ones will come out.

The Novak is more like running a brushed motor in terms of total power. Very smooth, but kind of lacks torque from mid-range to high end. Has to be geared low for anything but a huge track. 13:1 to 13.5:1 seems to be a good range to keep the controller temps under control (<170 F). Since I got my system back this time, it seems to run good. I have had more success on the offroad than onroad with it. It is also the cheapest system out there.

For now I would have to say that the Novak is the way to go since it is backed well by Novak and is an easy system to get running. For truely hardcore people with lots of money and the need for speed, other brushless systems will offer what novak doesn't.
Brushes? We don't need no stinking brushes!!!
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 08:21 PM   #7
Tech Addict

I'm currently running Novak 5800 in my XXX-T MF and have found it great. It doesn't have the top end of the quicker brushless (ie Hacker 8T or similar) but for offroad, you'll have trouble using more than it's got anyway.

I race with guys that use 10T brushed etc and it has no trouble keeping up. The advantage of the Novak is that it has great bottom end torque and the power delivery feels very linear. Sometimes feels a little boring due to being so linear, but mine wins races no problems.

A friend of mine has the Hacker 8T and it's crazy fast, looks spectacular but difficult to get around the track with. The power delivery is very mild at first, almost dull, then kicks in with great gusto and lights up or wheelies. It doesn't feel linear like the Novak. The sensorless brushless are also more difficult to get off the line with (cogging).
Andrew_XXXs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 08:15 PM   #8
Tech Adept

What gearing are you running in your XXX-T Andrew??
Gutter Ball is offline   Reply With Quote