Search

E-Maxx 3906 Suggestions...

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 12:04 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (92%+)
Default E-Maxx 3906 Suggestions...

Good afternoon,
So I have an E-Maxx 3906 on it's way and will be here Tuesday. Due to how old it is and the parts used what should I upgrade first. Don't really care about the looks but really want to make it an all around solid truck. They guy it is coming from just put in a brand new waterproof(16.8v) ESC. That is the only upgraded item on the truck. I've heard about purchasing the FLM tranny case($70) but asided from that, what else should be upgraded? RRP slipper?

Any help would be awesome and much appreciated.

Thank you too all...

Also, I'm new to this site and this truck.

I have a stampede VXL I would sell to upgrade/trade to make my emaxx better if anyone wants to help out in that area!

Again, thank you much.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:43 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I bought a used 3906, but mine still has the orig evx esc. The first thing I had issues with was the slipper. I tried upgrading to 12 pegs in the stock slipper, but that didn't help. An RRP slipper and steel spur was needed before I stopped having issues.

Soon as you try and put more power thru the drive train, the wheel drive shafts will twist. When they twist, they won't move in and out like they're supposed to so that freezes the suspension on the wheel where the twisted axle is. 3906 comes with the narrow suspension and makes rolling it over in a turn very easy especially with the weight of the batteries carried as high as it is. I went to eBay and bought new 3.3 drive axles, full set of suspension arms, bulks, turnbuckles and steering knuckles. Once I got that installed, it was like having a diff truck! Widemaxx suspension really makes a difference.

I leave the trans in 2nd and haven't had too much probs with that. When I got mine you could still get the hardened idlers gears for the trans which I did after the nylon idlers stripped. I think there's some way to convert the ones from teh 3905 - just have to reduce the thickness so they fit. I wouldn't worry about that til it causes probs though.
Old 11-24-2010, 05:08 PM
Tech Regular

Great!
So, pretty much if I purchase 3.3 drive axles, 3.3 full set of suspension arms(top bottom/front & rear,3.3 bulks, 3.3turnbuckles and 3.3 steering knuckles I would be good to go besides my drive train correct?

What would you recommend for the differentials? I'm not going brushless anytime soon with this truck. So would I possibly be okay staying stock or should I at least upgrade a little?

I really appreciate your help. That one post helps a lot.

Thank you!

Last edited by TCA999; 11-24-2010 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Incorrect grammar
Old 11-24-2010, 05:40 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TCA999
Great!
So, pretty much if I purchase 3.3 drive axles, 3.3 full set of suspension arms(top bottom/front & rear,3.3 bulks, 3.3turnbuckles and 3.3 steering knuckles I would be good to go besides my drive train correct?

What would you recommend for the differentials? I'm not going brushless anytime soon with this truck. So would I possibly be okay staying stock or should I at least upgrade a little?

I really appreciate your help. That one post helps a lot.

Thank you!
Thats right. I had a time trying to install the drive axles but I was trying to use the stock bulks - once I realized that was the prob, mine went together slick. I found one guy, a chop shop and got most of it thru him to save on shipping.

I would run it stock with the diffs as they are and wait until you hear them start to make clicking noises. I started with a 2.5 Tmaxx and got a real schooling about diffs when I installed a FR18 engine. I was worried about having to do the kind of things I had to do to get decent life from my Tmaxx diffs (alum diff cases, alum diff cups etc), but I've been happily surprised. I bought a set of 16.8 diffs on eBay and I didn't even open them up to check shimiming, I just installed them. So far, they've been good.

My stock diffs were making noise shortly after I got mine and I wanted to go brushless (did for a while). I had to do something
Old 11-25-2010, 07:21 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Duster_360
Thats right. I had a time trying to install the drive axles but I was trying to use the stock bulks - once I realized that was the prob, mine went together slick. I found one guy, a chop shop and got most of it thru him to save on shipping.

I would run it stock with the diffs as they are and wait until you hear them start to make clicking noises. I started with a 2.5 Tmaxx and got a real schooling about diffs when I installed a FR18 engine. I was worried about having to do the kind of things I had to do to get decent life from my Tmaxx diffs (alum diff cases, alum diff cups etc), but I've been happily surprised. I bought a set of 16.8 diffs on eBay and I didn't even open them up to check shimiming, I just installed them. So far, they've been good.

My stock diffs were making noise shortly after I got mine and I wanted to go brushless (did for a while). I had to do something
Awesome, thank you very much. I guess I will drive it until the differentials start going out then upgrade.

I really appreciate your help.

Happy Thanksgiving!!