R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   engine break in process (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/45538-engine-break-process.html)

GReddy 07-19-2004 06:27 PM

engine break in process

hi im new to nitro and i just ordered a KYOSHO INFERNO MP 7.5

SPORTS RTR

and is there some specific way to break in?

like few tanks while being idle

few tanks while going slowly driving in a figure 8

few tanks while goin a little faster and so on?

thats kinda wut i remember what someone saying

cmain 07-19-2004 07:10 PM

Motor break in
this seems to be the most popular method now days.

Try the "Bess" Method (Credit to Stephen Bess)-

From the very 1st time you start your engine, plop the car on the
ground & begin running it in a parking lot in 2-3 minute intervals,
tuned only *slightly rich* getting the temps up in the 200F range on a normal day. Every 2-3 minutes, shut the engine down & let it cool completely with the piston at BDC , and then fire it back up; continue this cycle until you've run 15 min or so, and then bump up to 3-4 minute intervals. Vary the RPM and don't be afraid to get the temps in the 200's. What you want is heat cycling of the components without the incredible stress that comes with breaking an engine in when it's overly rich & cold. After cycling the engine in this manner for about 20-25 total minutes, it'll be ready for the track and race tuning.

GReddy 07-19-2004 07:31 PM

anything i need to make sure? lik the exhaust that is coming out?

Johnnytc3 07-19-2004 08:32 PM

make sure you have smoke coming out of the exhaust

Aaron Waldron 07-19-2004 09:18 PM

Many of today's fuels don't produce much smoke, so using that as a tuning guideline is outdated.

Just don't let the engine get too hot, and don't keep the engine at the same RPM for any length of time.

cmain 07-20-2004 06:24 AM

also for the gx-21 engine that comes with the sport i use an OS A3 plug and add 6 oz of klotz racing castor oil to a gallon of fuel.

Aaron Waldron 07-20-2004 11:39 AM

I would not add oil to your fuel. It's possible and it will lube your engine, but it will also make the engine run much hotter. Today's top-brand fuels include very effective oil packages that don't require extra oil to protect your engine.

cmain 07-20-2004 08:27 PM

thanks for the warning I will not add oil in the future.

Grindog001 07-21-2004 08:49 AM

is it bad if my engines only seems to want to run at full speed? During break in, the car went crazy and locked on full speed during and now it doesn't seem to want to start?

GReddy 07-26-2004 08:29 AM

wut bout the tuning method where u just increase it by 1/8 of a turn each time? can u give my exact step by steps on how to do this?

cause this is my first time running a nitro plus i never even seen a nitro run b4

Aaron Waldron 07-26-2004 01:36 PM

grindog - Your engine sounds like it may be too rich, and your idle may be too low.

If it was stuck wide open until it shut itself off, you have may ruined the engine.

GReddy - All carb adjustments should be in 1/12 turns, or "hours" (think of the hours on a clock).

Once the engine is broken in, tune the top end for a nice, healthy sound, and good top speed in the environment you are going to be driving your vehicle. Once the top end is set, dial in the low-end needle for crisp acceleration with no studdering or hesitation. Use a good quality temperature gauge or probe to make sure your engine hasn't exceeded 240 degrees (an acceptable range for most engines; some, such as the original TRX .15, will run as hot as 270-290).

Adjust your idle a little on the high side when the engine is first fired up. If your engine is tuned correctly, the idle should drop as the engine heats up.

GReddy 07-27-2004 02:47 PM

i only have a idle and a "needle valve" screw thing

PTP Racing 07-27-2004 05:05 PM

i like the method of break-in mentioned above i do the same thing except i will run through an entire tank at a time

and i tune for 200F i dont want it any colder than that and not much hotter

the needle valve thingy is the high speed needle it may be the only adjustment needle on that carb

you should probably get a temp gun of some sort they have some neat little ones that only cost about $30

for break-in 200F is great after break-in temps between 230-270F are pretty normal for .21 engines

you wanna tune it so it sounds fast and crisp but beware of running overly lean thats why you oughta get a temp gun some engines will just keep getting faster and faster all the way into the 300F range and thats not usually very good for an engine

blue thunder i believe makes a fuel that when run too lean will cause the engine to run poorly letting you know youve got to richen it up

but the best thing you can do is find someone who has experience to come out and help you because experience is priceless when it comes to engine tuning

Aaron Waldron 07-27-2004 06:47 PM

Blue Thunder, nor any fuel, as any built in "warning"..it's not possible.

www.tempgun.com sells very accurate mini temp guns for around $30.

PTP Racing 07-28-2004 06:18 PM

you may be right about the fuel but they have advertised it