Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Advice on upgrading equipment - Brushless, LiPo, 2.4 Radio, etc. >

Advice on upgrading equipment - Brushless, LiPo, 2.4 Radio, etc.

Advice on upgrading equipment - Brushless, LiPo, 2.4 Radio, etc.

Old 11-22-2010, 08:21 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Advice on upgrading equipment - Brushless, LiPo, 2.4 Radio, etc.

Hey guys,

I would love some expertise on upgrading my equipment. There is so much new technology out there since I was actively involved years ago that I was hoping to hear what you guys like.

My backstory:

I raced competitively back in the days when the hottest technology was built around the RC10T platform... I currently use an old Airtronics CS2P, NiCD batteries, Novak ESC and Novak's Digipeak charger.

I have recently unpacked my old RC10T as well as the gear and am restoring it to play with...

However, I am looking to pick up a factory RC10T4.1 to begin racing again. What I am looking for is advice on good Brushless motors, LiPo batteris & chargers, speed controllers, and 2.4 radios. What do you guys like? I'd like to be as cost effective as possible, but I would also like to purchase quality gear that I wont be looking to upgrade right away.

Any thoughts on your setups & what you would recommend would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 11-22-2010, 08:48 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Restoring the RC10T is fine as long as you can get the necessary parts to fix it. But the T.4.1 would be the way to go for a new truck. Also if you plan on going with Lipo batteries you will need a lipo specific charger. Don't charge them on a NIMH charger as they can damage or catch fire. Airtronics does make nice 2.4ghz radio to. I think it is the new MX3 if Im not mistaken.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Any of the high-end radios work very well and most use the 2.4 technology now (Futaba, Spektrum, Airtronics, etc.), you'll be very pleased to see where the hobby tech has evolved! I'd recommend a Name-brand battery pack (hardcase) for racing and longevity (Associated, SMC, Protek, Orion, and the list goes on). You'll definitely need a Lipo specific charger capable of properly charging battery, I'd recommend the Hyperion as a top contender, but there are several top of line chargers all comparable to each other. I'd attempt to get one with a battery storage mode program, to better care for your battery investment. Many of the Brushless motors are fantastic and after recently purchasing many of the top brands and testing, I chose Murfdogg Synergy Motors (www.murfdogg.com) as it clearly performed better on the track than all the others, both on bottom and top ends of the power bands. Many conversations on ESC's and which one is better...I also bought and tried several top brands recently and chose the Tekin RS Pro (www.teamtekin.com) for its ability to be multi usable & upgradeable without buying a new ESc when technology advanced. The same ESC can also be used & maximize both stock and Modified motors all within itself to include custome tunability in every perameter with a Hotwire-computer plug in. Hope this assists you in your return to the hobby and getting back to racing!
Old 11-22-2010, 10:01 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Cost effictive, yet good stuff...

Radio: Spektrum DX3R
motor esc: Tekin rs and Tekin motor.
Battery: diggitydesign.com a good 50c 2s for $59
Charger: Hyperion

Some of this stuff you can get used, like the Radio...

Originally Posted by jlund
Hey guys,

I would love some expertise on upgrading my equipment. There is so much new technology out there since I was actively involved years ago that I was hoping to hear what you guys like.

My backstory:

I raced competitively back in the days when the hottest technology was built around the RC10T platform... I currently use an old Airtronics CS2P, NiCD batteries, Novak ESC and Novak's Digipeak charger.

I have recently unpacked my old RC10T as well as the gear and am restoring it to play with...

However, I am looking to pick up a factory RC10T4.1 to begin racing again. What I am looking for is advice on good Brushless motors, LiPo batteris & chargers, speed controllers, and 2.4 radios. What do you guys like? I'd like to be as cost effective as possible, but I would also like to purchase quality gear that I wont be looking to upgrade right away.

Any thoughts on your setups & what you would recommend would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 11-22-2010, 11:37 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the advice so far guys.

Should I be looking at 5500mAh 7.4V LiPo batteries? Also, how many turns for the engine? I'll be looking to race in stock classes with my RC10T/T4.1..

13.5??
Old 11-22-2010, 11:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jlund
Thanks for the advice so far guys.

Should I be looking at 5500mAh 7.4V LiPo batteries? Also, how many turns for the engine? I'll be looking to race in stock classes with my RC10T/T4.1..

13.5??
Most stock 2WD classes are limited to a 17.5T motor. I'd again recommend a Murfdogg Synergy Motor. If you have time and want real feedback from users, check out the forum thread here in RCTech. Looks like your definitely getting alot of good advice from forum users/racers.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:48 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by teeforb
Cost effictive, yet good stuff...

Radio: Spektrum DX3R
motor esc: Tekin rs and Tekin motor.
Battery: diggitydesign.com a good 50c 2s for $59
Charger: Hyperion

Some of this stuff you can get used, like the Radio...
Originally Posted by rangerjkb
Most stock 2WD classes are limited to a 17.5T motor. I'd again recommend a Murfdogg Synergy Motor. If you have time and want real feedback from users, check out the forum thread here in RCTech. Looks like your definitely getting alot of good advice from forum users/racers.
Glad I asked that. I will take a look at the Murfdogg site. Thanks!