Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RC manufacturers: who owns whom?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 03:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Hong Nor makes the plastic for 98% of the cars out there... So when it comes to higher quality plastic there's only a difference between a couple of the brands.
Old 11-19-2010, 04:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

This question sort of fits in this thread. Can anyone tell me how Losi ended up being bought by Horizon? I quit the hobby in the mid 90s and started back in it a couple of years ago. I think I read in an RC mag that Ernie P of Trinity bought half of Losi at one point. Hell, I dont even know what happend to Trinity.
Old 11-19-2010, 04:21 PM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by Momo5
This question sort of fits in this thread. Can anyone tell me how Losi ended up being bought by Horizon? I quit the hobby in the mid 90s and started back in it a couple of years ago. I think I read in an RC mag that Ernie P of Trinity bought half of Losi at one point. Hell, I dont even know what happend to Trinity.

Pops sold Losi to Horizon
Old 11-19-2010, 04:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dave H
Yeah, I didn't realize it from the rear view at first, then after I posted....yikes, ya got me!

My future brother in law had one, it was fun on the right road. Is that one yours? Recent picture?
No ThunderbirdJunkie would love to have one, but anymore they're all rotted out or cost more than a decent RC car, sooooo, no dice
Old 11-19-2010, 05:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cody01
OK who has actually manufactured in U.S. kits? CEN I think, anyone else. Alot of companies are U.S. owned but outsource the building. Also which electronics are made in the U.S. I update cars pretty regual and wouldn't mind supporting our own people instead those who would like to see us dead. I know China hates us and thats where most of our stuff comes from. Funny they hate us so bad because if we weren't buying their products they would be living in sage grass huts and eating white rice raw with their fingers. I'm not sure why they hate us so much but I say F*ckum. In RC its hard to avoid buying Chinese but for the rest of my stuff I try to stick to American even if it cost more.
Dude where do u get your info from? I know u live in bfe but is it from the pony express? As usual you probably think WWII is still raging on. I would like to buy American too. But why do u think they hate us? Things are not the same as in the 50's which is where u think u still are. Lol! China will always make things cheaper and sometimes better then us. Knock yourself out buy American cool. But if you think China hates us your dumb! Maybe politically they do but I've met some nice guys from China that are just trying to make a living just like us. Why dont you go buy a edsel and eat jiffy pop cuz your living in the past fool!
Old 11-19-2010, 05:17 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cody01
OK who has actually manufactured in U.S. kits? CEN I think, anyone else. Alot of companies are U.S. owned but outsource the building. Also which electronics are made in the U.S. I update cars pretty regual and wouldn't mind supporting our own people instead those who would like to see us dead. I know China hates us and thats where most of our stuff comes from. Funny they hate us so bad because if we weren't buying their products they would be living in sage grass huts and eating white rice raw with their fingers. I'm not sure why they hate us so much but I say F*ckum. In RC its hard to avoid buying Chinese but for the rest of my stuff I try to stick to American even if it cost more.
China hates us? You're either severely ignorant or just 10 years old.

China is currently emulating American culture in so many ways its not even funny. They COPY us because they like us. Theres 3 story pizza huts and Mcdonalds everywhere.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:30 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Bubonic-X
Dude where do u get your info from? I know u live in bfe but is it from the pony express? As usual you probably think WWII is still raging on. I would like to buy American too. But why do u think they hate us? Things are not the same as in the 50's which is where u think u still are. Lol! China will always make things cheaper and sometimes better then us. Knock yourself out buy American cool. But if you think China hates us your dumb! Maybe politically they do but I've met some nice guys from China that are just trying to make a living just like us. Why dont you go buy a edsel and eat jiffy pop cuz your living in the past fool!
Haha, he lives in the middle of the desert and thinks MT is BFE.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:44 PM
Tech Master

China has started outsourcing manufacturing to Africa. This stuff is an evolution. Poor countries can provide cheaper labor so they get the business. Over time that business ideally leads to them not being poor anymore (China) so their rates go up. In turn, prosperous countries figure out ways to reduce the costs of production and that trickles down.

The only reason manufacturing jobs in the US have shipped overseas is because the US has become the most prosperous country in the world. It's simply too expensive to do production here. The last big American manufacturers standing are the automotive companies and we all know how well they're doing.

Anyways... Thanks for all of the info on manufacturers. I was just trying to learn more about the industry as it appeared more diverse and competitive on the surface than it really is.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:07 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hakmazter
I know. That is why I preceeded it with "pretend it is a few years ago" Very few people know what an Opel or a Holden is and there are none in the US. Well, technically there are a few Sky owners who did conversions.
Well, you did originally mention being "popular outside of the U.S." as a quality shared between Saab and Caster...and only until recently did anyone in the U.S. really know about Caster as an R/C manufacturer.

While we don't have Opels or Holdens badged as such here in the U.S., their platforms underpin a number of recognizable U.S. GM vehicles, such as the aforementioned Holden Monaro/Commodore for the erstwhile Pontiac GTO (basically a left-hand-drive Monaro with a Corvette engine), the Kappa platform for the Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky you mentioned, and the Opel-developed Epsilon platform as the basis for the Chevrolet Malibu, Saturn Aura, Pontiac G6, Buick Lacrosse & Regal......and the Saab 9-5 Aero.

Interestingly enough, the Holden Commodore was an enlarged version of the Opel Omega, which itself was sold in the U.S. as the Cadillac Catera. There's some globalization for you.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:31 PM
Tech Elite

My son Paul posted a couple of page ago, and I want to expand a bit on what he said. In fact there are several new, little, racer-oriented companies operating in the U.S., some with very different business models. I can speak only for X Factory.

As Paul says, we are 100% family-owned right here in N.W. Ohio. Some of our plastic molds and parts are produced here in N.W. Ohio, all the rest are from one of the very top R/C molding shops in California, with over 25 years' experience making R/C cars. All the plastic material is produced in the U.S. Our CF parts are also U.S.-made from U.S. CF by an experienced R/C company which sells R/C stuff under their own brand. As a result, we believe X Factory is the very top quality manufacturer.

We also buy parts from top U.S. brands, like Lunsford and M.I.P. and all these parts are made here in the States.

All X Factory parts are shipped from the Supplier Family to our warehouse in N.W. Ohio where Paul and I assemble everything individually by hand. If you get an X-Kit that's missing a part, it's probably my screw-up. I don't know of another R/C company where the owner can or will come on here and tell you that.

We distribute in the U.S. and throughout the world mostly ourselves, selling direct to the Dealer Family and to the Family through our web sites. We have wonderful relationships with importer/distributors in Japan (Team AJ) and U.K. (X Factory U,K.), both of which are owned by dedicated experienced
R/C racers.

If you are willing to pay for the very top quality U.S. made stuff with cutting edge design from top racers who are actively racing today, you want X Factory.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:14 PM
Tech Addict

Well said Chazz!
Old 11-19-2010, 08:39 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by YoungChazz
If you are willing to pay for the very top quality U.S. made stuff with cutting edge design from top racers who are actively racing today, you want X Factory.
Impressive. You just moved X Factory to the top of my "next kit purchase" list.

I for one would be very interested in hearing more of the story of X Factory. I'm sure it's hard for you guys to say too much about your business considering the competition, trade secrets, etc. But I know a lot of people like me would love to start up an operation like your some day. I'd love to hear more about how you did it and whether it's been worth all the trouble.

I'm headed over to your website now.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Wink

Originally Posted by mdowney
Impressive. You just moved X Factory to the top of my "next kit purchase" list.

I for one would be very interested in hearing more of the story of X Factory. I'm sure it's hard for you guys to say too much about your business considering the competition, trade secrets, etc. But I know a lot of people like me would love to start up an operation like your some day. I'd love to hear more about how you did it and whether it's been worth all the trouble.

I'm headed over to your website now.
I've been slowly teaching myself Solidworks for this very reason.

And Mike I will be out at Bremerton on Sunday if you are interested in meeting up let me know.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:48 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

very top quality? Why did my truck come with a cracked chassis? I really liked how you sent me a née one put no problem but still. Also chi town shoot out my friend and I broke a your 4 mill shock tower! 4 mill dude! My friend was told that he doesn't know how to set up a truck then.

Originally Posted by YoungChazz
My son Paul posted a couple of page ago, and I want to expand a bit on what he said. In fact there are several new, little, racer-oriented companies operating in the U.S., some with very different business models. I can speak only for X Factory.

As Paul says, we are 100% family-owned right here in N.W. Ohio. Some of our plastic molds and parts are produced here in N.W. Ohio, all the rest are from one of the very top R/C molding shops in California, with over 25 years' experience making R/C cars. All the plastic material is produced in the U.S. Our CF parts are also U.S.-made from U.S. CF by an experienced R/C company which sells R/C stuff under their own brand. As a result, we believe X Factory is the very top quality manufacturer.

We also buy parts from top U.S. brands, like Lunsford and M.I.P. and all these parts are made here in the States.

All X Factory parts are shipped from the Supplier Family to our warehouse in N.W. Ohio where Paul and I assemble everything individually by hand. If you get an X-Kit that's missing a part, it's probably my screw-up. I don't know of another R/C company where the owner can or will come on here and tell you that.

We distribute in the U.S. and throughout the world mostly ourselves, selling direct to the Dealer Family and to the Family through our web sites. We have wonderful relationships with importer/distributors in Japan (Team AJ) and U.K. (X Factory U,K.), both of which are owned by dedicated experienced
R/C racers.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:59 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by x60Driver
very top quality? Why did my truck come with a cracked chassis? I really liked how you sent me a née one put no problem but still. Also chi town shoot out my friend and I broke a your 4 mill shock tower! 4 mill dude! My friend was told that he doesn't know how to set up a truck then.
How did it break?

Just magically? No impacts right?

One of those "I was just driving along and had my throttle EPA set to 30%, and all of a sudden..."

Where did the shock tower break? At the shock mount, or lower?

You understand what over-tightening fasteners does to stiff parts, right?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.