Wiki Posts
Search

RC manufacturers: who owns whom?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 09:47 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ScottyM
For America it is esentially one company.. But worldwide they are two very seperate companies. HoBao, being the Hyper line up, and Hong Nor being Jammin.. OFNA does offer some things that they have produced just for them, such as bags and things fo this nature.. I am not sure who makes this stuff for them, but I doubt it is made by OFNA, but rather for OFNA..

What does OFNA stand for? I ask because you never see Ofna, it is always OFNA, so I assume it is an accronym for something??
As far as it seems, nothing.

Straight from their website FAQ: "In California, registering a corporate name under 4 letters in length is nearly impossible. These letters were selected to form the corporate name, with no particular significance given to the name itself. Hence "OFNA" was born."
Old 11-17-2010, 10:13 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

When you buy a Hyper 9 OFNA does not try to hard to rebrand it... a few small stickers on the Ho-bao box is about all, and they toss in some ofna foams for the tires
Old 11-17-2010, 10:17 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by fallguy
When you buy a Hyper 9 OFNA does not try to hard to rebrand it... a few small stickers on the Ho-bao box is about all, and they toss in some ofna foams for the tires
Yeah you're right. My phrasing in that other post wasn't the best about that. When I had a Hyper the decals and everything was all Hobao. OFNA lets you know of their presence but doesn't attempt to truly re-brand the product.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Kinwald edition= blue wheels and plastic stuff

Matt Francis edition= pinkish red plastic parts

Adam Drake edition= yellow signature wheels
Old 11-17-2010, 11:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

I belive Traxxas is the biggest surface R/c company in terms of money making but Kyosho is all around since they make cars, boats, helis, planes and all sorts of other stuff.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 211 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rpmdj1
Hey all
I have a HSP Brontosaurus who is HSP now that were on the topic, also I have gone to "Redcat Racing" and their "Volcano EXP Pro" is identical to mine so does their truck and my truck come from the same place?
Russ
Your HSP is 100% identical to the Redcat Racing vehicles. So is Exceed. These vehicles are made in a Chinese factory somewhere with no labels/stickers/brands at all. Companies purchase them in bulk and are allowed to slap whatever label they choose on them and sell them under any name. They're all generic and all come from the same place with every part being completely interchangeable. You may get different colored wheels or slightly different style of bodies but functions and fitments are exactly the same.

Originally Posted by mdowney
Am I forgetting anyone? I'm trying to figure out how consolidated the industry really is and who has all the power.
Distributor wise, Horizon and Great Planes have ALL the power. They dwarf the next biggest distributor and have many of the proprietary lines.

EFlite, Spektrum, Losi, JR, Futaba, Dynamite, Excelorin, Thunder Power, Zenoah, Sportwerks, Team Checkpoint, Duratrax, Muchmore, Hobbico, OS engines and TONS more are only available through one of those two companies.

There are lots of other distributors and some with their own impressive list of proprietary brands but these 2 companies own or have control of most of the industry.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:12 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kent Beal
I belive Traxxas is the biggest surface R/c company in terms of money making but Kyosho is all around since they make cars, boats, helis, planes and all sorts of other stuff.

I think your wrong on both accounts. Tamiya has always been, and still is MASIVE! They have all the major classes for on road and off road covered, except for the SCT class... and I'm sure that's not to far behind. Tamyia was in the 80's-90's what Traxxas is now. A lot of people that got started in RC before the huge RTR boom has owned a Tamiya one time ot another. Just like the RTR generation now. Most of the younger guys cut their teeth on a Traxxas and stepped up from there.

Just my .02 of course

Jay
Old 11-18-2010, 12:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pyro18t
I think your wrong on both accounts. Tamiya has always been, and still is MASIVE! They have all the major classes for on road and off road covered, except for the SCT class... and I'm sure that's not to far behind. Tamyia was in the 80's-90's what Traxxas is now. A lot of people that got started in RC before the huge RTR boom has owned a Tamiya one time ot another. Just like the RTR generation now. Most of the younger guys cut their teeth on a Traxxas and stepped up from there.

Just my .02 of course

Jay
I forgot all about Tamiya. I will agree will you on them in terms of the hobby industry as a whole. My statement was more on just the R/C side. Which Kyosho has such a large variety of r/c. But I will also give big prop to tamiya for the Clodbuster which I believe is still the longest in production running car ever. Since the 80's easy and no other car has in entire industry built off of it. Rock Crawling.

Now with Traxxas their is not one other r/c manufacture that is doing the numbers that Traxxas doing (dollars or vehicals sold) in the world right now or maybe ever. No company has ever sold 1,000,000 of a single r/c vehical (t-maxx) and they are well on their way of having two (slash).
Old 11-18-2010, 03:51 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Just as a point to a previous post:

TQ Racing is owned by TQ Race Products. While the factory production was quoted correctly. Ownership of the brand is entirely ours, and seperate from any other company.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nikos2002
Just as a point to a previous post:

TQ Racing is owned by TQ Race Products. While the factory production was quoted correctly. Ownership of the brand is entirely ours, and seperate from any other company.
Do you design your products or OEM them?
Old 11-18-2010, 07:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)

Originally Posted by Frozenshades
Yeah you're right. My phrasing in that other post wasn't the best about that. When I had a Hyper the decals and everything was all Hobao. OFNA lets you know of their presence but doesn't attempt to truly re-brand the product.
Hobao only makes the Hyper brands from what I see, thats all thats on there site. And we all know the Hyper line of buggies and are the only race worthy buggies OFNA carries. Im not sure if OFNA actually develops the rest of there line up
Old 11-18-2010, 08:16 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by koopesv
Hobao only makes the Hyper brands from what I see, thats all thats on there site. And we all know the Hyper line of buggies and are the only race worthy buggies OFNA carries. Im not sure if OFNA actually develops the rest of there line up
As someone said earlier they also distribute Hong Nor products as well. They seem to be solely a distribution company, no production.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:54 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by ScottyM

What does OFNA stand for? I ask because you never see Ofna, it is always OFNA, so I assume it is an accronym for something??
O F Not Again
Old 11-18-2010, 10:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SoCalRacerX
O F Not Again
LMAO.. That is funny $hit
Old 11-18-2010, 10:51 AM
Tech Apprentice

I think we are at a turning point in the industry. Much like when the skate board industry went from corporate companies dictating everything, to rider owned brands taking over.

I know some brands started as racer owned, but got lost along the way. Now complaints and issues that should be addressed fall on deaf ears. Thats when the writing is on the wall.

Although not electric, the company thats gonna lead the way for this is JQ Products. We know who owns that and how to get ahold of him.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.