Wiki Posts
Search

Looking to buy a small car that's super-quick

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 07:58 AM
Tech Adept

Default Looking to buy a 1/10 that's super-quick

Hey guys,

Basically i might be looking to get a small car, I dont really have a lot of space around here as I'm at uni, so id just be driving it in the street etc, so i dont want anything bigger really.

I need it to be fast cos all i'll probably be doing is full throttle runs, so i'd like to manage at least 65-70 without burning out the motor or something catching fire.

Back home I own a HPI Vorza running the 2650kv motor on 6s, and I've GPS'd that at around 65mph, so I'd like to get at least that.

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Last edited by ReV:-O; 11-20-2010 at 09:59 AM.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:06 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

A local guy out here was running a exotek rc18t with a castle 9000kv on it not sure which speedo and was pulling 65-70mph speed runs on 3s and 10th scale touring tires. Its crazy to see something that small go that fast lol.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:20 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

wow that is a lot of power in an 1/8th scale buggy.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Traxxas has that new little rally car based off of the mini revo. It looks to be about the size of 1/12 scale

But why do you need such a small car? Isn't 65mph in a 1/16 the same as an 1/8 at 65mph??: To me it seems that if you want to go that fast at least have a car that will handle the speed.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ReV:-O
Hey guys,

Basically i might be looking to get a small car, something like a 1/16, maybe a 1/12 or something like that. I dont really have a lot of space around here as I'm at uni, so id just be driving it in the street etc, so i dont want anything bigger really.

I need it to be fast cos all i'll probably be doing is full throttle runs, so i'd like to manage at least 65-70 without burning out the motor or something catching fire.

Back home I own a HPI Vorza running the 2650kv motor on 6s, and I've GPS'd that at around 65mph, so I'd like to get at least that.

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers
If its the castle i'm surprised you didn't burn that motor up yet. They are only rated for 4s
Old 11-18-2010, 01:32 PM
Tech Adept

get a touring car if you keep only to streets, easier to go way faster.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:36 PM
Tech Master

stick a 2s 4000 Lipo w/mamba 7700 in a Tamiya Mini Cooper;it'll do 50+ easily.
Old 11-18-2010, 04:27 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

1/10 VXL setup in a 1/16 MERV with tenbol motor mount on 3S will get you to 75mph under $450 You will be on your lid more than the tires though!
Old 11-19-2010, 07:24 AM
Tech Adept

Reubster24 yes it's the Castle motor, it can handle 6s just fine. Never seen temps over 140F.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I'm not really looking for an on-road car since i'll be driving it on uneven terrain. I think that means I'd probably be looking for a 1/10, rather than a 1/16.

What I'm really looking for is just something really cheap, with a really light, simple chassis but that can handle the power. Maybe something like the Ansmann Macnum or Madrat. I know Ansmann arn't a great make but they are cheap, which is what I'm looking for. Theres also others like the Traxxas Rustler/Bandit, Losi Speed-T, Associated RC10B/T4.1, HPI E-Firestorm, and I'm sure there are loads more.

Idealy I'd want to buy a roller so I could stick in my own motor, esc and lipo; that way I could choose the fastest option, like choosing a 4800kv motor and running it on 3s, then upping it to 4s for speed runs. I don't really want to convert a nitro chassis because it will probably work out too expensive.

Also, being waterproof is a fairly important factor for me. I'd like to be able to take it to the beach and not have to worry about it getting wet etc. With my Vorza I have to be careful where I drive it so as not to get the electronics wet.

Just as a side-note, some of the battery compartments such as that of the Rustler/Bandit look extremely small, and I'm not sure if I'd even be able to fit a decent 3s or 4s lipo in there without squashing it to pieces!
Old 11-19-2010, 07:51 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I have Kyosho half eight brushless, ..... 2s 20c 2000mah with a Castle 9000kv and Excelerion ESC. It's mosstly just a parking lot basher, but it is very fast. Maybe not 60 mph but I am sure it goes 40 mph. Which in that little car is fast enough.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:11 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Dual brushless mini LST2

I have a mini LST2 limited that I just purchased used it one run then pulled all the electrics out and replaced it with a 60A esc with fan and dual 4400k brushless motors on 3S. If you want fast this is it, I think I am going to sell it because I have to many. I did the same setup with a mini itsy bitsy spider 4x4 and as soon as I gave it full throttle it did a back flip and snapped the axles and twisted the dogbones. So I have not used the mini LST2 much for fear that I am going to break it. If any is interested I will let it go for $300 plus you can have the original motors to. Like new with no scratches,it is the limited edition so it has the black body. I just got a brushless E-Revo roller that I can use the money on for a motor and esc.

Last edited by animal91; 11-19-2010 at 08:23 AM.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:45 AM
Tech Rookie

Hay ReV:-O you got me thinking and I just remembered I have some others that I am looking to get rid of and they are all in good shape. I have the Losi mini T, and the brushless Trinity itsy bitsy spider and the dual brushless mini LST2 that I told you about. I also have a Kyosho Ultima buggy that is now a stadium truck, you can have to parts to change it back if you want, I also have a HPI RS4x4 which is a street car but I figured I would put it our there just in case. My son has a Traxxas Rustler which has not moved in a while and all these are in good shape . I also have a Kyosho nitro Pro if any is looking for nitro. It is like new, I used it once and had problems with the motor coming loose so it sat for 10 years and last month I went to try it and the motor was seized so I replaced it with a Traxxas 15 but it needs a pull start or you can use the auto start and relocate the tank. If anyone is interested, if not they will be on there way to ebay.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:06 AM
Tech Adept

A few people have told me to go for either a Rustler or a Bandit, but I have a few questions regarding them. They also told me that since the battery tray is so small, I would not be able to run 4s. Also, they said the Traxxas esc wouldn't be able to handle it unless i got an external BEC, and even then it would likely end up in flames.

If I got a Rustler/Bandit, I wouldn't want the 3500kv motor, I'd wanna get something with a higher kv, maybe around 4800kv if I'm only gonna be running 3s.

Traxxas claim it to be waterproof, but how can this be when the motor and lipo are exposed? Are brushless motors waterproof? I know lipo's arn't!
Old 11-19-2010, 05:09 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

MaxAmps has new Waterproof Lipos ! !

http://www.maxamps.com/proddetail.ph...1-Pack&cat=194