R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 04-15-2002, 11:27 AM   #1
Tech Rookie
Exclamation Servo Saver Maintenance

I just thought I would share a point that I was reminded about this weekend. Servo Saver Maintenance. I got a used buggy from ebay on Friday and stripped it down and rebuilt it Saturday. Everything looked pretty good and though worn, looked fairly well maintained. So I added my own servo, ESC, radio, motor, and battery and took it out and let a friend 12 year old try it. 2 minutes later the servo stripped. One set of plastic gears are trashed. Three gears with broken teeth.

Post mortom was that there was some binding in the at the ends of the servo throw because of a ball end I use that has too long a threaded bolt. But I think the bigger problem was the servo saver was locked solid. It is an Associated B3, and the sliding V has a spring adjustment. But what happens with these is on a hard landing when the servo saver twists open to absorb the shock it is also open to dirt. When sand gets in there in does not slide very well. And after enough dirt and wear, it stops sliding at all. I had to pry it open.

So after a few minutes of stripping it down and cleaning the surfaces, I heat burnished them. This is a trick with many plastics that when the are fuzzy like after a sanding, you flash heat them with a very breaf exposure to a high heat. Then the thin threads of plastic that make up the fuzzy apperance melt, but not enough to cause the large solid piece to bubble. This is a trick that is best to skip if you aren't sure about what you are doing.

I used a Silicon grease to help restore the slip. Though I plan to clean that off and use a dry silicon spray before exposing it to dirt. The grease will hold more dirt then you want.

So beside sharing my experience in the attempt to save someone else the $15 leason, I have a question. What is best to use on a plastic surface like that? Graphite power? Silicon spray? or Some other dry lube?
GNiessen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002, 06:24 AM   #2
Tech Rookie

Team Associated suggests using black grease that comes in the kit. This is on their website. I used this method and have not had any problems collecting dirt. I also sanded the V down so it doesn't fit in the other piece so deep. I have not stripped a set of gears since doing this.
RayD is offline   Reply With Quote