Wiki Posts
Search

HELP ME CHOOSE 2WD BUGGY

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 06:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)
Default HELP ME CHOOSE 2WD BUGGY

Ok, so costs aside, I'm trying to decide on my next move. Hoping to hear from those that have tried all 3 of my choices but value all opinions.
Option 1: Buy the PSI LMX conversion for my XXX-CR
Option 2: Buy a new FT B4.1 and sell the XXX-CR
Option 3: Buy a Cougar SV Pro and sell the XXX-CR

My Losi is a little outdated and seems to be lacking compared to newer models. I know the B4 is really popular and most say to get what's popular and what you can get parts for. But with shops like Amain, parts aren't an issue and being popular is overrated. lol What would you do? Thanks!
Old 10-31-2010, 06:43 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Your xxxcr isn't outdated, you may just be itching for something new. Option #4 could be change your setup and keep running the XXXcr. Do you have the rear end setup everyone is running now?
Old 10-31-2010, 06:48 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Davidka
Your xxxcr isn't outdated, you may just be itching for something new. Option #4 could be change your setup and keep running the XXXcr. Do you have the rear end setup everyone is running now?
Yes I kinda have the itch for something new..No I'm not. I'll have to read more of the xxx-cr thread. I must of missed that.
Old 10-31-2010, 06:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 104 (100%+)

I hear the cougars are sick, but nothing wrong with a b4 at all. Really just a personal choice and if you wreck a parts supply thing.
Old 10-31-2010, 06:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

The Tamiya is super awesome and very easy/stable to drive....
Old 10-31-2010, 06:57 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 2fst2c
Yes I kinda have the itch for something new..No I'm not. I'll have to read more of the xxx-cr thread. I must of missed that.
XXXcr is still a top-notch car but I get the want for something new. The toys are half the fun in this hobby.

That new Tamiya does look nice, like a B4 done better.

Edit: while people are talking about the Cougar, it looks neat but #1. there's very little setup help (as JamesMeyer states below) and #2 PArts support. The PSI conversion uses readily available Losi parts everywhere you could break it. It doesn't get much more convenient than that.
Old 10-31-2010, 06:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

The PSI conversion is nice and if your good at figuring out set-ups then take the leap. It will scratch the itch for something new and save you a few bucks. The cougar is nice but I think the Losi conversion feels better to me on our style of tracks. I run the PSI conversion.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:01 AM
Tech Master

Thanks for the feedback guys..I'm not really concerned with parts support. I'll look at the Tamiya also. The conversion look like a nice kit. I haven't seen anyone around here running one. Actually not too many guys run Losi cars period. Seems everyone is an associated fan here. I like the amount of tuning options on the SV. Price wise most options asides from the chassis conversion are going to be in the same range. James, you said you like the Losi Conversion better on the tracks you run on. You have driven a SV? What didn't you like about it? What are your tracks like there? Around here they are usually hard packed dirt, mostly smooth and run barcodes or double D's. Thanks again for your input.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:07 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Go with what the house car at your track, that way you can probably get parts
Easy, and learn setups from the other drivers. Just My 2cents
Old 11-01-2010, 07:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I was in the same boat you are. Felt my xxxcr was out dated and wanted a new toy. I looked at everything out there and decided on the tamiya. Haven't received it yet but reading the trf 201 thread seems everyone is running just about the same lap times right out of the box
. Just tells me the car is stable and easy to drive. Parts support like you said isn't a big deal just order a bunch of spares. The setup is the only thing I see as a disadvantage. Good luck and just get whatever you like.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Cougar SV is an awesome car. As far as quality materials (CF, aluminum, huge big bore shocks, etc) I dot think there's another buggy that touches it. Parts support hasn't been a problem. My local track stocks them and they're really easy to get online. Setup support is about the same as any other kit out there. Just check petiterc and the Cougar thread on this site.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I have ran the cougar and the X-6 and liked the feel of the LMX better. To be fair the Couger was set up for hard packed indoor clay track. Our track is an outdoor clay track that gets rutted and loose. The LMX eats the bumps up.

Originally Posted by 2fst2c
Thanks for the feedback guys..I'm not really concerned with parts support. I'll look at the Tamiya also. The conversion look like a nice kit. I haven't seen anyone around here running one. Actually not too many guys run Losi cars period. Seems everyone is an associated fan here. I like the amount of tuning options on the SV. Price wise most options asides from the chassis conversion are going to be in the same range. James, you said you like the Losi Conversion better on the tracks you run on. You have driven a SV? What didn't you like about it? What are your tracks like there? Around here they are usually hard packed dirt, mostly smooth and run barcodes or double D's. Thanks again for your input.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

Nothing wrong with the Losi. Personally I'd keep it. It is Roar champ...just seen a guy at CRCRC smoke the competition with one in mod class.
I just got rid of a B4 (pretty much a FT4.1) and a Cougar. The B4 always felt inconsistent in the rough. The Cougar has major quality contol issues and flaws. Gearbox isn't up to par of the rest of the kit. It needs diff/spare parts to resolve and make handle well making it really expensive on top of kit price.. I feel really good about the SP2. Wish I never sold off my SP to go to the others. If your really want to get rid of the Losi don't pass up thinking about the Kcar.