Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Can you still be competitive running NIMH? >

Can you still be competitive running NIMH?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can you still be competitive running NIMH?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 11:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ???E-Racer
It's battery discrimination is what it is.
People think LIPO is super cool because I dont have to cycle my cells.
Well...balancing isnt any fun either....have to have that voltage just right...
Or PUFFY PUFF**OR FLAMES DESTROYING YOUR CAR..no thank you
Not to mention being afraid your esc going POP* and smoking...
Seen it happen way too many times...NEW ESC'S right out of the package smoking....when they were not smart enough to figure out it was the pack
that killed the esc, not the esc failing....idiots I swear...=/

I can imagine how much trouble people go through to run a 4 or 5 cell
Lipo in an electric 8th scale...OH GOD ONE OF MY CELLS DIED...the pack
is pretty much ruined.....

They could run dual 7 cell nimh and probably be faster. Thats 14.4 volts.
Or heck maybe even run a 10 cell nimh pack.
Wow ignorance really is bliss.. LOL

PS people go through NO trouble running lipo's in 8th scale, I've never seen anyone dumb enough to try to run 1/8 scale with nimh packs. You don't have to worry about anything, when you charge a lipo on ANY decent charger you plug in the balance tap, the lead and click start (may need to pick your memory for voltage/size of pack if you run several types). These days packs are charged in 15-20min max no matter the size and you don't have to do anything the chargers have built in balancers that do everything for you even monitor everything.. set it and forget it. You can even have an extra heat sensor setup if you are truly paranoid. They are as easy to charge, provided you have any intelligence as your cell phone. Click on your memory setting plug in and in 15 your pack is ready for more abuse. What do you think is in 99.9% of all heli's, airplanes and boats? good lord.

Here are a few tips
#1 you get what you pay for (high end packs (30c+) will last longer, hold voltage better and keep your system cooler) same goes for chargers.
#2 buy as high of "c" rating as you can afford but make sure no matter what your system cannot pull more than your lipo is rated
#3 balance charge on every use (requires nothing other than .00001 seconds to plug in the tap) and your packs will be safe and happy for a VERY long time. PS this cannot be fun or no fun as it is as simple as plugging it in and you are done.. LOL
Old 11-01-2010, 11:39 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 159 (99%+)

The ones that catch fire 99% of the time are those that run it past the low voltage cutoff, it puffs a little, they charge it on nimh mode for 10 minutes to get the voltage back up, the puffing goes down (but the damage doesn't go away),and then continue using the pack as they normally would. The damage is done and its just a matter of time/cycles at that point. I was totally guilty of this when lipo was fresh and expensive and I couldn't afford more than one pack at a time.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Krio
The ones that catch fire 99% of the time are those that run it past the low voltage cutoff, it puffs a little, they charge it on nimh mode for 10 minutes to get the voltage back up, the puffing goes down (but the damage doesn't go away),and then continue using the pack as they normally would. The damage is done and its just a matter of time/cycles at that point. I was totally guilty of this when lipo was fresh and expensive and I couldn't afford more than one pack at a time.
Let me clear that up some.. 99% of ALL lipo fires are from charging at the wrong voltage (accident or on purpose). At best I'd say of that remaining 1% if you have a pack go up it was due to some kind of damage, this could be physical damage or damage from going below the LVC and forcing a charge.

I've had several packs slightly below the level and hit them with a short nimh charge with no ill effect short or long term. I would imagine if you got the pack low enough maybe it would be more of an issue, but again very uncommon.

I would also say 99% of all lipo fire video's are fake or made for your viewing pleasure.. some will admit it. others may play like it wasn’t their intention but typically it was orchestrated.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:00 PM
Tech Champion

I'll clarify my number then; 99% of lipos that go up with the correct settings on the charger (aka without reason. wink wink nudge nudge) are because of physical damage due to over discharge or another 8th scale landing on your car.

I specifically mentioned lipos that "puff" and then you seemingly "save" them. Just going past the voltage cutoff doesn't mean bad things will happen...its just more likely. lol
Old 11-01-2010, 12:08 PM
Tech Addict

I love it when people just make up scenarios to back up their point.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:15 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Metla
I love it when people just make up scenarios to back up their point.
The OP wasn't worried about blatant errors when charging lipos, so I answered according to what I've seen regarding lipo failures that had the correct charger settings. I'm not denying that indeed most failures are charger setting errors as I've seen more than I'd like to go off that way.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:15 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by ifuonlyknew
NO The cell exploded, the guy was walking to the track with his car in his hand, he wasn't even driving it. The story can be read here. Y?
I know many people that have had NiMH cells explode for no reason,in cars,on the bench,walking to the track.

Though just to show you how far off the ball my LHS is, When I was in there the other day he was moaning the fact that the importer would no longer supply him NiMH batteries and they had quoted the stability and safety issues as the reason, Then he told me from now on its LiPo only, whatever the hell they are.

Lmfao.

Of course,In the past he has argued that kits I'm looking to buy parts for don't even exist, even though he carries the brand and I had the part numbers.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:17 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Krio
The OP wasn't worried about blatant errors when charging lipos, so I answered according to what I've seen regarding lipo failures that had the correct charger settings. I'm not denying that indeed most failures are charger setting errors as I've seen more than I'd like to go off that way.
Personally I haven't been there to witness the events and conditions leading up to 99% of Lipo fires so I'll make no claims as to what the cause is,well apart from the fact we push these things hard, and when you push things hard some are guaranteed to fail.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:29 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ???E-Racer
Planes/Copters are tottally different.
When they started making them for cars that's
when the trouble began. I cant see someone trying that...people are nuts!

Planes and coptors go for torque rather then rpms like these cars/trucks are. Same thing with boats and crawlers too, they are looking for torque.
Old 11-01-2010, 02:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Unhappy

I thoght this tread was about beening competitive with NIMH? Some how it's turned in to PSA.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:09 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by SocalSnakeEyes
I thoght this tread was about beening competitive with NIMH? Some how it's turned in to PSA.
Public Service Announcement?
Old 11-01-2010, 10:14 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

"other members of the household" either mom and dad jacked your butt for almost burning the garage down or you're older and the wrong person has the pants on.

Guns don't kill people and Lipos don't just go up in flames, they may puff but the flames are on us.

Last edited by racer1812; 11-02-2010 at 09:53 PM.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:30 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Ei8ht
It's not the cost, it's the fire danger. I had a lipo catch on fire in our garage recently (still unsure why). The other members of my household don't want lipos around and I have to respect that. Unfortunately it's not an option.

I appreciate the responses and yes, its just club level racing. I'm cool with relying on Nimh and a little driver skill as long as its not a ridiculous gap in performance...
Time to revisit the actual question and an actual solution:
  1. Don't charge at home.
  2. Store and transport in military surplus ammo box.
  3. Store indoors in ammo box if acceptable, or store outside -- seriously, ammo box is water proof with lid on, even not latched it will be sitting on rubber. Temperature getting WAY below freezing is the only concern -- I have stored lipos in the freezer for a while and I still run those same packs a year later and they're fine.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Metla
I know many people that have had NiMH cells explode for no reason,in cars,on the bench,walking to the track.

Though just to show you how far off the ball my LHS is, When I was in there the other day he was moaning the fact that the importer would no longer supply him NiMH batteries and they had quoted the stability and safety issues as the reason, Then he told me from now on its LiPo only, whatever the hell they are.

Lmfao.

Of course,In the past he has argued that kits I'm looking to buy parts for don't even exist, even though he carries the brand and I had the part numbers.
That just shows you how stupid some people are that run a hobby shop.
Most of them dont even know what a lexan body or pinon gear is.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SocalSnakeEyes
That question was answered a long time ago.
Yes they still are competitive. I take care of my NIMH packs
and they still take a full charge. Yes I cycle them once a month.

I have 3600 packs that go up to 4000mah.
As long as your running 4000 or higher your in good shape.
You dont have to run brushless either. As long as your running high quality
brushed motors like Team Checkpoint, or Trinity. I still run Speed Gems motors.

I could never get a Venom brushed motor even thou tempting because they are cheap to last very long. They like to run HOT for some reason.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.