Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
RPM bearing blaster. >

RPM bearing blaster.

RPM bearing blaster.

Old 10-25-2010, 11:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default RPM bearing blaster.

Have you used this? What do you think of it? Do you use a different method to clean your bearings? What is it?

I have a set of ceramic bearings that I want to clean and I'm interested in how some of you go about getting dirt out of your bearings. I contacted ACER and was told to use the RPM bearing blaster. Before I do so, as mentioned, i;m just curious how some of you go about it.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

some guys use works but they maintain all bearing but for me i don't have the time i just replace with Rev Avid but if I was running expensive bearing might consider.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

I have one and it works OK but, like said above, it's easier to just throw a $1 Avid RC bearing in it and be done. You'll burn up more than a dollar's worth of time and cleaner/oil trying to maintain. I keep it around in case I run into a situation where I think one needs dealt with but I don't have a replacement on hand. My opinion is put your cash elsewhere.

Edit: I missed that you have ceramics. Maybe look at it then. If we're talking about regular bearings, replace.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:33 PM
Tech Elite

Thank you guys for the input, but please do note I'm not just gonna replace ceramic bearings every time one gets dirty. I know many of you don't bother cleaning your bearings and just replace them, but I want to clean them. So I'm asking those that do, to inform me on their methods.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:44 AM
Tech Regular

G'Day marooko,

I use an RPM bearing blaster - all you do is stick your bearing over the little cone on the base, put the top and, insert the tube from your engine cleaner in the hole in the middle and spray away. After the cleaner has evaporated, I put in a drop of hudy bearing oil (any light oil will do) and install them in the car.

I don't use ceramics, and I toss my bearings after they start feeling gritty, but I do this with all my new bearings, they last longer and work better.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:59 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

I used to spend big on ceramics and use the rpm cleaner, never got them smooth again, I tried everything. Now I only buy $1 bearings and toss them as soon as they get gritty.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:11 AM
Tech Elite

Considering I got them for less than 2 bucks a piece, I wasn't too concerned. I wanted to try them out, and I have. After cleaning we'll see what I decide to do next. As for now, I'm looking to clean these, not replace them.