Wiki Posts
Search

Bar Code SC vs. Suburb SC

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 08:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Bar Code SC vs. Suburb SC

Hey for anyone interested I comparison tested the new JConcepts Bar Codes, green compound & Pro-Line Suburb SC, M4 at Turtle Trax indoor clay track tonight.
The track is a small high bite clay track.
It was a very expense test!
I set the parameters of test around the same battery, New motor, set-up, & time.
I found both tires a have a good over all feel, both putting SCT in the low 12sec range on my average laps. But the differences I guessing are in the details while both tire have amazing forward grip the Suburb's had noticeably more side bite, maybe it's the inserts Pro-line supplies.
My fastest lap with the Bar Codes was 11.77 while my fastest lap with the Suburbs was 11.63.
Now here is the part I need help with.
I ran the truck for 11min with the Bar Codes and the motor came off the track at 168* acceptable for the 17.5 motor I was testing with, while the truck only ran for 9min with Suburbs and motor failed, temped at 300*!!!
Simply put the Suburbs had more grip!!!!
Now how do I adjust my gearing to for the increase in grip?!?
The test did cost me a new motor, but least I can share the positive finds of the test....
Old 10-20-2010, 08:45 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Could try slipping the diff a little more. Smaller pinion will give you less top end but more accelleration (torque).
What ESC? Are you using punch control and/or advancing timing?

I compared Suburbs and Holeshots (supersoft) last time out. Although the Holeshots stuck quite a bit better I didn't notice an increase in motor temps (redline 13.5/MMP 8 degrees timing).

Maybe the overheat was unrelated to the tires and was a coincidence?
Best improvement for me was getting the front to stick on the fast sweepers. Calibers up front were the ticket for me.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jaggededge
Could try slipping the diff a little more. Smaller pinion will give you less top end but more accelleration (torque).
What ESC? Are you using punch control and/or advancing timing?

I compared Suburbs and Holeshots (supersoft) last time out. Although the Holeshots stuck quite a bit better I didn't notice an increase in motor temps (redline 13.5/MMP 8 degrees timing).

Maybe the overheat was unrelated to the tires and was a coincidence?
Best improvement for me was getting the front to stick on the fast sweepers. Calibers up front were the ticket for me.
I agree... The tires are not going to grip that much more to cause that much heat increase. Your motor failed during your test. Try it again with a new motor.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:21 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by SaladFork
I agree... The tires are not going to grip that much more to cause that much heat increase. Your motor failed during your test. Try it again with a new motor.
It was a brand new motor! The speed control is a Tekin, but the setting were not changed for the test...
Old 10-20-2010, 09:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rctouringracer
It was a brand new motor! The speed control is a Tekin, but the setting were not changed for the test...
It happens... Two weeks ago I watched my friend install his new Havok ESC. It fried while we where at the track, had three packs through it. Pissed, he went and bought another one. He plugged that speedo in and poof! I have had 3 MMP's fail this summer and watched a Novak Ballistic 4.5 die the first day. Not saying Novak sucks either, just coincidence that it was Novaks. I also had a RS Pro fail earlier this summer during a new install (wasn't even mine).

I used suburbs a few races this summer, never saw any rise in temp. Was about the same when using Enduros and Calibers.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:29 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

In order to get a truly scientific answer you need to eliminate all variables except one. In your case the tires are the one variable, I notice that you said that the inserts that came with the Suburbs may have been what caused the Suburbs to have more grip. That leads me to believe that you used the inserts that came with the Bar Codes? That right there is another variable that could have contributed to your heat problem. You would have got much more accurate data if you used the same insert and wheel for each tire. Also you need to test them back to back (a few laps with one then a few laps with the other) this will eliminate track condition as a variable (incase the moisture level of the track is a factor in how much traction you have). You need to realize there may have been many factors that contributed to the increase in heat. In order to get good data from test sessions you need to make sure everything is well sorted out before you start making changes. First get your new motor geared right, run it a bunch of times to make sure you have it working perfectly, then start making changes, and when you do, check the temps on stuff every couple of laps (or untill the temps level off). Who knows what caused your motor to let the magic smoke out, but I really doubt it was just the difference in traction between those two tires. I think the only way that would be the case is if you went from running bald tires with blown out foams, to brand new tires with brand new foams.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:43 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

To be fair the JConcepts green compound is most comparable to a M3. Green is not as soft as the M4. IMO the M4 is too be used for when it is extremely cold and the M3 is no longer soft enough.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:46 PM
Tech Master

The track was the same for runs. In fact both run were done with in 40min of each other. Even the ambient temperature was the same. The wheels were the same the differences were the tires & the inserts. As for the motor it may have had a problem don't know. What I can tell you was that it was brand new , pulled straight out of the package, it was a motor was I familiar with, having raced one all summer. I am no scientist and did my best to make the testing as equalize possible. I could have spent a whole day changing my set up to cater to each tire, but I wanted a heads up test with truck going un-changed to see what was up.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:47 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ultragraffics
To be fair the JConcepts green compound is most comparable to a M3. Green is not as soft as the M4. IMO the M4 is too be used for when it is extremely cold and the M3 is no longer soft enough.
I agree...
Old 10-21-2010, 02:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

If you handle JC green compound it feels much closer to M4 then M3. I would say that JC Blue is closer to M3. IMO anyplace a bar code or suburb work, wishbones are better. Just my opinions through my own testing.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:20 AM
Tech Master

I was surprised that the M4 was used at all. I have Suburb MC SCT tires for hard clay and they work really well. I would love to see Barcodes in a clay compound. I have run the Wishbone supersoft and they worked fantastic for about 3 race days and now they are almost slicks. When our clay track is wet or sticky I use the worn Wishbones onmy Jammin SCRT10.

I really like the JC tires and use the Subculture a lot on my Jammin. It has good grip on hard clay.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:20 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

From my experiences on the track (not that I'm that good), I've found that when I have LESS traction is when my motor gets hot. It could be my driving style, but when using the SAME tires on a high traction track and a low traction track, the temps go up with less traction. More tire spin and less forward motion get more heat for me.