Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Having problems with my Lipos. Can anybody tell me if they are bad. >

Having problems with my Lipos. Can anybody tell me if they are bad.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Having problems with my Lipos. Can anybody tell me if they are bad.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 06:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Default Having problems with my Lipos. Can anybody tell me if they are bad.

I have some Turnigy 5200 2s lipos that were great up until I left them out in the back of the truck one night and it got down to about 36 degrees. Ever since then they both shut the ESC completely off(not low voltage flash). The charger says they are peaked but I get about 5-10 seconds and it shuts down completely. Before when they got low after running the truck the ESC would flash letting know low voltage had kicked in. I wouldn't think one night at 36 degrees would ruin them but its looking that way. Any ideas? Does lower temps hurt them that much?
Old 10-14-2010, 06:59 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Did you leave them plugged into the esc?
Old 10-14-2010, 07:00 PM
Tech Rookie

If you're running them at that temperature (I'm guessing Fahrenheit here), you want to warm them up before running them. When they're done, charge them up indoors at room temperature. Lipos can't charge to their full capacity when they're in the cold.

If you do try and charge them at normal rates in the cold, the cells will be damaged significantly.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:54 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by The Cook
If you're running them at that temperature (I'm guessing Fahrenheit here), you want to warm them up before running them. When they're done, charge them up indoors at room temperature. Lipos can't charge to their full capacity when they're in the cold.

If you do try and charge them at normal rates in the cold, the cells will be damaged significantly.
I'm not charging them in the cold. It was cold one night and they got left outside. I have since braught them in, charged them(inside) multiple times and they still are failing. Both equally. I tried a differant ESC and the same thing happens.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:06 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Sounds like they are shot to me, ....sounds bad but a night in 36deg temp's is pretty cold. Plus Turnigy is not known for being the highest quality battery.

You may try to warm them in a heating blanket then check the voltage, ..... or try to balance them at that point.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:12 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

dont they say to store lipos in the freezer or fridge ? I thought cold storage was good for them ??
Old 10-14-2010, 08:18 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by gottabaja
Sounds like they are shot to me, ....sounds bad but a night in 36deg temp's is pretty cold. Plus Turnigy is not known for being the highest quality battery.

You may try to warm them in a heating blanket then check the voltage, ..... or try to balance them at that point.
It was almost 80 degrees today. I peaked and balanced them before going to the track. I guess they are f*cked.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:53 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

try discharging them a bit and see if the work after that i have had lipo batts that where stored with a full charge and did a similar thing and that brought them back to life
Old 10-15-2010, 08:14 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I've been storing the lipos I don't use in a refrigerator for a while now, its ~40F. I let them sit a full 24hrs in a heated room before I do anything with them. They work like they're brand new.

If you didn't let them warm up and the lipo media was still pretty cold when you charged them, that could explain why they've gone bad.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:16 PM
Tech Master

I want to get some good 3s packs but shit like this is whar stopping me. I've had extremely good luck with nimh but I can't get the power or run time. I treat them like shit and they charge great every time for 2 years.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

One of the local heli fliers told me that lipos only have 70-80 capacity when they're cold. If they get near freezing while fully charged, you've essentially overcharged them by 20%. That's bad news for Cody.

Cold storage is fine if you have them at 60% 'storage'charge when you chill them
Old 10-15-2010, 01:43 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cody01
I want to get some good 3s packs but shit like this is whar stopping me. I've had extremely good luck with nimh but I can't get the power or run time. I treat them like shit and they charge great every time for 2 years.
Try Venom or Max Amp's, Max Amp's has lowered their price;s to

It was almost 80 degrees today. I peaked and balanced them before going to the track. I guess they are f*cked.
They are F----ck

Originally Posted by RC Dad
One of the local heli fliers told me that lipos only have 70-80 capacity when they're cold. If they get near freezing while fully charged, you've essentially overcharged them by 20%. That's bad news for Cody.
Correct 100% they are over charged by at least 20% or more,

Cold storage is fine if you have them at 60% 'storage'charge when you chill them
Even at 60% you run the risk of runninr the cell's since as it warms up they can gain in charge, and agian you will be over cell limit.
Old 10-15-2010, 02:17 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

That is your problem right there. If you take care of your stuff it will take care of you.

Originally Posted by gottabaja
They are F----ck
Are you related to the tourettes guy?
Old 10-15-2010, 04:03 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ifuonlyknew
That is your problem right there. If you take care of your stuff it will take care of you.
I didn't know I had done anything wrong. I never read anywhere that temps around 40 degrees would kill lipos. Seems kind delicate to me. 40ish is a pretty common temp anywhere. Maybe they could just start making better ones.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Cody, buy quality batteries and you can expect quality results.

I've owned Turnigy packs but always had the mentality they are "disposable". You get what you pay for!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.