Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
What are the best quality hex wrenches? Losi 8-in1 has no warranty. >

What are the best quality hex wrenches? Losi 8-in1 has no warranty.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What are the best quality hex wrenches? Losi 8-in1 has no warranty.

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 02:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default What are the best quality hex wrenches? Losi 8-in1 has no warranty.

I've just broken the tip off of the 1/16" bit for my Losi 8-in-1 hex wrench after some very mild tightening of a small flathead. I emailed Horizon Hobby support and they replied that their wrenches do not include warranties. Are any of you aware of a company that makes higher quality all-in-one wrenches and will replace a tip if it breaks? I had a tip break on a wrench from T.O.P. and they replaced it free of charge but they don't appear to make an all-in-one.

I know, I know, tips break - get over it. I'm just asking if there's anyone out there selling wrenches that will get replaced if they break. Perhaps not but if there is - I'd like to buy their product. This Losi wrench was expensive and they don't sell replacement tips so I'm rather screwed. The only 1/16" bit I can find anywhere is made by Integy and I'm not sure how durable it will be.

Here's my correspondance with Horizon in case you're interested. He was friendly in his email so this isn't meant to be a negative about him. Horizon chose to follow policy and tell me "sorry", T.O.P. hooked me up with a replacement for free. Guess which one I'll buy more products from.

Mike

Thank you for contacting Horizon Hobby Product Support.

I am sorry but there is no warranty on this item. The warranty is as follows below.

Exclusive Warranty- Horizon Hobby, Inc., (Horizon) warranties that the Products purchased (the "Product") will be free from defects in materials and workmanship at the date of purchase by the Purchaser.
If you should need further assistance regarding this issue please reply to this e-mail for additional support.

If you need assistance in the future, please feel free to e-mail us at [email protected] or you may also contact us toll-free at 1-877-504-0233.

Make sure to visit our web site at http://www.horizonhobby.com to see all of our newest products!

Thank You,

Scott
(contact info removed)
My original email to them, which I think was quite friendly. I should also admit that I'm actually not much of a Losi fan but I thought saying so might grease the skids a bit. I do own a XXX-CR that sits on my shelf though.

Hello -

I am a big Losi fan and have been using your 8-in-1 hex wrench (Part #LOSA99120) for several months. It's a great wrench but I just snapped the tip off of the 1/16" bit when I was screwing a flat head into my XXX-CR chassis. I'm always careful not to over-tighten and stress the wrench but this one just popped right off. Could you please send me a replacement?

(my address here...)

Many thanks in advance!

Warm regards,
Mike
Old 10-15-2010, 02:38 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

MIP make hex bits that would work with that 8 in 1 handle. They are the best wrenches. Here they are.
Old 10-15-2010, 02:39 PM
Tech Master

Oh awesome! Thanks for the tip! (no pun intended)
Old 10-15-2010, 02:45 PM
Tech Regular

EDS, Hudy, MIP - all good, just make sure the nut isnt screwing the driver
Old 10-15-2010, 02:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

MIP/Thorp are hands down the best RC wrenches. Pricey with no warranty that I know of but they are the best.
Old 10-15-2010, 03:20 PM
Tech Lord

I was just on MIP's site reading "they stand behind every wrench" just send $15 in along with the wrench and they'll replace it......duh. Tower sells them for less than that. You're right, there's no warranty.

I bought a set of Thorps long before MIP acquired them. I've never had a prob and mine have done a lot of wrenching, still sharp as new. Never needed a warranty.
Old 10-15-2010, 03:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

EDS or Hudy...

EDS-the guy who owns the company used to work for Hudy... so... you put his tools right next to a Hudy... you wouldnt know the difference in quality... and the price is PERFECT!
Old 10-15-2010, 03:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

The yellow handled Thorp hex wrenches which are now MIP have always been referred to as being the best. I still have mine now going on 20 years with no problem. I also recommend the HUDY hex wrenches...not the aluminum handled "pro" version but the "profi" wrenches. These are the ones with the plastic handle. You get a better grip with the larger handle versus the thinner handled pro wrenches. The tips are the same for the pro and profi wrenches.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:00 PM
Tech Master

I was tempted to buy a set of Hudy's because they make such great products but they're just so expensive. Of course if they last forever they probably end up cheaper in the long run. I'll check out EDS first though - if they're basically the same thing at a lower price.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:38 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mdowney
I was tempted to buy a set of Hudy's because they make such great products but they're just so expensive. Of course if they last forever they probably end up cheaper in the long run. I'll check out EDS first though - if they're basically the same thing at a lower price.
Yes the Hudy stuff is always bank!! I only have a set because they came with my Xray XB8 along time ago... I like the plastic handles since they're bigger so you get more torque. I think the EDS wrenches are like the Hudy Pro version wrenches, aluminum handle but kinda small in my opinion.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I own a complete set of Hudy tools in both metric and SAE. I've had them for over 4 years, each and every tool still looks brand new as the day I bought it. The tips are all original, not a single broken one (even the smallest sizes), and they still fit perfectly snug in brand new screw heads.

Did the Hudy set cost me an arm and leg? Yes. But ask a professional mechanic sometime why they spend tens of thousands of dollars on Snap-On tools.

Buy a quality tool once, or buy a low quality tool several times. Your choice!
Old 10-15-2010, 04:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ifuonlyknew
MIP make hex bits that would work with that 8 in 1 handle. They are the best wrenches.
MIP/Thorp wrenches come with no warranty. You break the tip and you are sending the wrench back to the factory to be reground. At least they offer that service, and last I heard it's around $5-7 per tip plus shipping.

Personally I like Hudy since their tips are removable and user replaceable. Albeit the price for the replacement tip is higher, around $11-12 per tip plus shipping.

With that said, I have three replacement Hudy tips waiting...still not have been needed in 4 years of constant use.
Old 10-15-2010, 05:58 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

+1 on the mip/thorp! Been in my pit bag for over 20 years now and seen about 25 kits and all the use racing requires. i just bought a full set of metric about a year ago and yes it was pricy, but you get what you pay for.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

EDS tools and HUDY tools are the best on the market.The wrench have hardened spring steel tips so they never wear out.Plus EDS can custom engrave your name into the beautiful red and silver red handles so noone steals your wrench.Buy some eds tools for 60 bucks and never buy another tool again.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:50 PM
Tech Elite

I'm sure I'll get flame for this, but the TiN coated Integy wrenches last forever.. I replaced the tip on my 3.0mm AE wrench and have used the snot of it, and it still looks near new.. I also have the power driver Integy set that is TiN coated, and it has very little wear for the use it has seen.. If you get Integy MAKE SURE TO GET THE COATED tips..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.