R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 10-15-2010, 05:37 AM   #16
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

What you described is what I went through the first 6 months or so of RCing........broken a arms, burned out motors, I even snapped a Chassis in half, but now all I worry about is charging batteries and rebuilding shocks and diffs which I realize is regular maintanence. No matter what car you get things will break when you crash. Good luck.
storytyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 06:46 AM   #17
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by storytyme View Post
What you described is what I went through the first 6 months or so of RCing........broken a arms, burned out motors, I even snapped a Chassis in half, but now all I worry about is charging batteries and rebuilding shocks and diffs which I realize is regular maintanence. No matter what car you get things will break when you crash. Good luck.
An SC10 is a purpose built race vehicle; it wasn't designed to be bashed in the backyard and survive months on end with no broken parts or maintenance. I doubt Associated will make any apologies for that.

I only race my SC10 which means it usually only sees nicely groomed tracks and my goal is not to hit anything or anyone when I go around the track. I may have replaced two front a-arms in the 2 years I've been racing it and that was from coming up short on a big jump or pushing through a turn and hitting a wall at speed.

If you want a vehicle that can take punishment and survive with little to no maintenance, then you should be looking at a Slash. If you want to race seriously, stick with an SC10, Blitz, Ultima SC, etc.

In terms of racing, my SC10 is extremely durable. But, if you took my SC10 to the local BMX track and bashed it, you'd probably break every part on it twice over.

I saw a great quote on here the other day; Cheap, Reliable, Fast --> Pick two.
XRAY 17 XB4
Yokomo YZ-2 CA
Wease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 06:57 AM   #18
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 235 (100%+)

I would have to agree with others here, the SC10 isn't a bashers vehicle in general.

I would think though that it would take a bit better abuse than say a T4 or B4 since its a-arms should be somewhat protected though.

If you continue on with your SC10, you may want to see about any protection parts you can get from RPM.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:51 AM   #19
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by grundor View Post
After buying my sc10 for bashing here in Sydney on the football field and out the front of house i was at first over the moon, now really pissed and truly hate it. Ive broken the front arms, bent turnbuckle, front c hub, rear hub carrier and the on/off switch dislodged and gone missing, the idler gear melted/stripped. Also had to rebuild the shocks due to being faulty on delivery. Now today after replacing the broken rear hub carrier the esc seems to be cactus . Ive had maybe 2 or 3 trouble free days in 2 months where i could run 3 packs in a day. It close to getting thrown off the 4th floor balcony. I haven't abused it at all the breakages are from it rolling over and tumbling not running into anything. Now i have to wait for more shit to come from Overseas to replace this broken esc. I wouldn't be so pissed off if i could walk into my lhs in Sydney but there all way overpriced and carry nothing in stock. end rant
Is this your first hobby-grad R/C car?

If so you're going through every newcomers learning phase.

Granted, like everyone else on here has said out of all the SC trucks the SC10 is geared more toward the racing end of the spectrum than the bashing end.

I have one and out of the box they tend to oversteer like crazy. Just learn to stop tumbling the truck and let off the gas when you corner.

I've tumbled mine quite a few times and haven't had many issues.

The whole shock issue well, that's kinda common with most RTR's.

With the idler gear issue do you keep the throttle pinned when you land a jump? What was your slipper setting when it shredded?

I'm not coming on here trying to place blame on you. But, if in fact you're new to all of this you're going to make mistakes and break things and learn from them and do better next time.
henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 09:52 AM   #20
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-BirdJunkie View Post
Dunno about that, man. There's a reason ThunderbirdJunkie's buddy's Slash breaks more often than ThunderbirdJunkie's SC10.
Quote:
Originally Posted by horseteeth View Post
horseteeth likes how thunderbirdjunkie refers to himself in third person all the time.
I think it makes him look like an idiot and it bugs the SH#T out of me, all the more reason for him to do it I guess, just Racer1812's opinion

Thank you to all of our service men and women!

racer1812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 04:18 PM   #21
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Trade it for a slash one of the sc10 fan boys will scoop it up fast. my son has a slash bashes it daily and still wins at the track but what ever you got have fun with it stuff breaks
brent65622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 04:19 PM   #22
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

o crap forgot thats what brent65622 thinks
brent65622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 04:31 PM   #23
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

thats funny
hyperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 04:39 PM   #24
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 245 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grundor View Post
It close to getting thrown off the 4th floor balcony.
MY first thought was that to break THAT much stuff it was already being thrown off the 4th floor balcony. On a daily basis.

Honestly, stuff doesn't break by itself.

THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE TELEVISED -Gil Scott-Heron (1949-2011)
Scottrik is offline   Reply With Quote