Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Having problems with my Lipos. Can anybody tell me if they are bad. >

Having problems with my Lipos. Can anybody tell me if they are bad.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Having problems with my Lipos. Can anybody tell me if they are bad.

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 06:41 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Anthony.L
Cody, buy quality batteries and you can expect quality results.

I've owned Turnigy packs but always had the mentality they are "disposable". You get what you pay for!
+1 I have some that have lasted me forever but my last few packs have been losing an unacceptable amount of punch halfway through the pack after only about 10 cycles.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:07 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Try to charge them as Nimh for a few min. I had a battery that would not take a charge and said it was charged kinda what you have going on, my buddy threw it on his charger as a nimh and it has worked great since.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:30 PM
Tech Regular

Cody, have you actually tested the voltage of each of the cells?
Old 10-15-2010, 09:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by KniteWulfe
Cody, have you actually tested the voltage of each of the cells?
I'm not sure how to do that. I have an Onyx 230 and a blinky balancer. I don't think I'm hi-tech enough for all that. I switched the ESC over to NImh mode and they still shut down after like 5 seconds. Not like low voltage cutoff though. It shuts the ESC completely off. I guess I will play around with them on the charger outside and see what happens. For along time one of them wouldn't even balance according to the blinky but has been lately.
Old 10-16-2010, 02:14 AM
Tech Regular

Yo really need to test the cells from the balance plug to diagnose this. You could have a bad connection too causing this. Re-solder or at least check the battery plug from the esc.
Old 10-16-2010, 06:22 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by KniteWulfe
Yo really need to test the cells from the balance plug to diagnose this. You could have a bad connection too causing this. Re-solder or at least check the battery plug from the esc.
I checked that plus both packs developed this problem at exactly the same time.
Old 10-16-2010, 08:07 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

im not sure about where you live but here in idaho everything is very wet and covered with dew in the mornings. any chance that they sat there wet all night?
Old 10-16-2010, 11:53 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by thaghost
im not sure about where you live but here in idaho everything is very wet and covered with dew in the mornings. any chance that they sat there wet all night?
Yes it gets dewy here too. Didn't consider that. Alittle dampness would smoke them huh? I''m just used to Nimh, you treat them any way ou want and they keep working.
Old 10-16-2010, 04:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

As posted before you need to get a volt meter and check the voltage of each cell in each batt. If that isn't possible try this. Set your charger to NIMH or NICAD, set charge rate very low (half amp or less) start the charger, if the pack starts to charge allow it to come up slightly, watch for heat, if no heating occurs, cancel the charge, and then try a Lipo charge.

If they still don't charge then I would say they are done.

I did this last week because I left one plugged in for several days (brain fade). The process brought it back and it is now balance and charges normally.

Also to clarify, water is a Lipos enemy.
Old 10-16-2010, 05:15 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by nutz4rcyktw
As posted before you need to get a volt meter and check the voltage of each cell in each batt. If that isn't possible try this. Set your charger to NIMH or NICAD, set charge rate very low (half amp or less) start the charger, if the pack starts to charge allow it to come up slightly, watch for heat, if no heating occurs, cancel the charge, and then try a Lipo charge.

If they still don't charge then I would say they are done.

I did this last week because I left one plugged in for several days (brain fade). The process brought it back and it is now balance and charges normally.

Also to clarify, water is a Lipos enemy.
OK, doing that now. Voltage is showing high like peaked range but mah shows low low.
Old 10-16-2010, 07:07 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Cody01
Yes it gets dewy here too. Didn't consider that. Alittle dampness would smoke them huh? I''m just used to Nimh, you treat them any way ou want and they keep working.
Lipos are not waterproof like nimh are. The shrinkwrap or hardcase would protect the cells from any light splashing, but dew or condensation would get into every nook and cranny.