Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ROAR approving brushless for 2005?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2004, 06:31 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)
Default ROAR approving brushless for 2005?

I read on www.rccars.com motor forum that ROAR has some rules for brushless.

what really strikes me is that the stock motor brushless will be allowed to use ball bearings. Maybe we will soon be able to put bearings in our brushed stock motors?
Old 07-02-2004, 06:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Read the specs more closely...the brushless system is basically being defined as....NOVAK...period...end of story...

They looked at the Novak and wrote their specs based on the tech details...right down to the colour coding for the wires
Old 07-02-2004, 10:34 AM
Tech Master

That is because Novak is the only one to submit a brushless motor for aproval.
Old 07-02-2004, 03:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i think going with bearings for all bl is a good idea. the primary drive (as i see it) for bl is lack of maintenance and longevity. removing some metal/metal parts like brushes and comm, but leaving bushings in place just seems to defeat the purpose. i am aware of the 'cost control' aspect of stock, but i'll leave that for another discussion.

in regards to the rules essentially being novak based, it's a double edged sword, but in the end i agree with it. currently novak is the only company, that i am aware of, in roar's region that is developing a .05 brushless targeted at the 1/10 electric car/truck market. certain rules more or less have to be adopted from the existing .05 brushed motor category (can size and diameter, centers on mounting holes, shaft size, etc). other rules need to have standards so that different brands of controllers will be cross compatible (a good thing for the consumer). unless there is a technical disadvantage to the existing novak SS5800 design, i see no reason to not adopt their wiring schematics and harness specs.

if the rules do go into effect for 2005, i wouldn't be suprised to finally see the unlimited novak release for x-mas 04.
Old 07-02-2004, 04:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I haven't found anything good about the way novak does their wiring or anything else they do with their system. The controller is underrated for the motor, and the motor pretty much sucks. That is just my personal opinion after owning 3 novaks and motors from other companies such as Lehner and Aveox.
Old 07-02-2004, 05:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

kufman - i've been looking at picking up another bl setup for one of my cars. since novak has not released a date for their unlimited kit, i'm pretty open as to what to get. do you have any reccomendations on another bl setup with an equivelant controller size (definately not larger and not just shrinkwrap) that is (at least) as smooth and not over $240 USD for motor and controller? i'd like something in the 6600-7200Kv range.
Old 07-02-2004, 07:37 PM
Tech Elite

Actually when I got my Hacker Controller and Lehner motor it cost me about $280. I could have gotten a motor with 5300 rpm/v, but the 4200 that I got has far more performance than Novak's 5800. The controller is bigger, but it doesn't overheat in less than 5 minutes. Brushless controllers that are worth buying will be bigger than novak's since a brushless controller is basically 3 brushed controllers put in one box. If novak builds their "unlimited" motor buy the new ROAR rules (not very unlimited huh?) it will be just as weak as the current motor. Most people disagree, but every test I have done shows the novak 5800 to about as powerfull as a spec 19 turn. not that bad had it been advertised as such, but the 5800 was advertised to be faster than a 10 turn, with more torque than my lehner or my aveox. This I can gurantee is not correct and it isn't all the controlers fault. I tested the 5800 on a hacker controller and it wasn't really any more powerfull. True other motors and controllers are more expensive, but they are also a lot more powerfull. As the American $ continues to fall against the Euro, they will get more expensive. There are also import duties just like there are for novak products to go to Germany. You can hype the novak motors all you want, but not admitting that it is weak in comparison is like living under a rock. My educated and tested opinion, take it or leave it.
Old 07-02-2004, 09:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

the reedy/lrp unit will be out before you know it.
Old 07-03-2004, 05:47 PM
Tech Adept

Kufman, RCCA did a test and the SS was faster than a 10 turn KR, wait no never mind RCCa is just payed to publish what the manufacurs tell them too. but i am willing to bet that you can't use hacker and lenther motors and you have to use Novaks then you will probally see people like Billy Easton still using brushed simplly because they don't mind the work and it is faster.
Old 07-04-2004, 04:21 AM
Tech Addict

It all depends what you're using it for as well. The Novak is great for offroad (especially just club meets) as it is really smooth and you simply don't need the power of the 6-8 turn hackers etc. However if you run onroad...a lot of the guys over here use them and recommend the Schulze U-Force speedy with the hacker 8T motor.

My novak is comparible in performance to about a 12-13T mod, however it's smoother and has a bit more torque which is great in my Truck.

As for cross compatability between controllers and motors, the Novak is the odd one out. Most (if not all) of the controllers these days are sensorless, whereas the Novak is Sensor based, making it the only one that you can't use with other motors.
Old 07-04-2004, 09:52 AM
Tech Elite

I put zero credibility in RCCA's test since it was very simple and not very usefull. All they did was a drag race between two sedans with the different motors. I might be able to make my novak win in that circumstance, but it would not complete a 5 min race with that gearing. The controller would overheat in about 2 minutes with that gearing. Therefore, since 1 element of the system is weak, it drags down the whole system. I currently run my novak in my T3 with 87/17 gearing and a fan on the controller. This is a pretty descent setup as long as you stay out of the grass.

AE Basher, Do you own any brushless systems? Do you own any other than a novak?