Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Balancing tires.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 03:44 PM
Tech Adept

Default Balancing tires.....

After finding the "heavy spot" How do you balance it?

I tried search but it came up with everything NOT about balancing tires....
Old 10-09-2010, 04:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Place your weight directly across from it.
Old 10-09-2010, 05:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)

You can buy lead tape from a golf store and it works great.
Old 10-09-2010, 10:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (83%+)

How much lead tape do you add? How do you know when its balanced? Yoi find the heavy spot by spinning it and the part the stops on the bottom is heaviest right?
Old 10-09-2010, 10:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

The heaviest part of the tire will stop at the bottom each time. You add weight directly across from it. You add just enough that when the tire stops spinning on the balancer that it will hold its position and not rock back to the same spot over and over. I personally use non-drying modeling clay for about $2 from the craft store. I think it's easier to fine tune.
Old 10-09-2010, 10:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...e-balance.html
Old 10-09-2010, 10:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

Originally Posted by klaymon
The heaviest part of the tire will stop at the bottom each time. You add weight directly across from it. You add just enough that when the tire stops spinning on the balancer that it will hold its position and not rock back to the same spot over and over. I personally use non-drying modeling clay for about $2 from the craft store. I think it's easier to fine tune.
+1 I tried lead tape and was a PITA to get exactly right . With clay you can just add a little or scrape a little away .

Reminds me , I have some new sets that need balanced
Old 10-09-2010, 11:33 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Briguy
+1 I tried lead tape and was a PITA to get exactly right . With clay you can just add a little or scrape a little away .

Reminds me , I have some new sets that need balanced
I use blu tac, mark the spot, remove the blu tac, weigh it and replace it with tape
Old 10-10-2010, 08:21 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

I used the weight tape with no issues. Worked like a charm.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:11 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Shoe goo and whatever crap you can stick in it. I save all my used diff balls. Those work really well for fine tuning the balance.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:50 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Does balancing RC wheels make that big of a difference? There are so many imperfections in the track, I doubt you would notice the effect of a slightly unbalanced tire. I think people worry too much about this..that is my personal opinion
Old 10-10-2010, 01:07 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bjholz
Does balancing RC wheels make that big of a difference? There are so many imperfections in the track, I doubt you would notice the effect of a slightly unbalanced tire. I think people worry too much about this..that is my personal opinion
Try it, you will notice how much of a difference it can make. The imperfections on the track are easier for the suspension to handle without the constant wobble from unbalanced wheels and tires. I've had people try my truck and all comment on how smooth it feels.

I use non drying modeling clay. Spin the wheel and when it stops, make a mark on the rim, spin it again and see if it stops in the same place. If it stops in the same place again take a small piece of clay and put it on the inside top of the rim and spin it again. Keep doing this till the wheel stops in random spots, that's how you will know it's balanced.
Old 10-10-2010, 02:01 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Justin B
Try it, you will notice how much of a difference it can make. The imperfections on the track are easier for the suspension to handle without the constant wobble from unbalanced wheels and tires. I've had people try my truck and all comment on how smooth it feels.

I use non drying modeling clay. Spin the wheel and when it stops, make a mark on the rim, spin it again and see if it stops in the same place. If it stops in the same place again take a small piece of clay and put it on the inside top of the rim and spin it again. Keep doing this till the wheel stops in random spots, that's how you will know it's balanced.
+1

Never thought it would make a difference until I balanced a few sets .
Old 10-10-2010, 02:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 60 (100%+)

I had some Slash tires/wheels that were so out of balance that they would shake and jump at full speed in a parking lot. I put the blue stuff that holds posters to the wall in the inside of the wheel spokes. It stays in there nice.
Old 10-10-2010, 05:45 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Just try putting your car or truck on a stand and spin the front wheels (2wd only) and see how much the front of the truck shakes from the unbalanced wheels.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.