Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Easy way to unglue tires!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 04:18 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

the trick to acetone is to fill the plastic container so the liquid will touch the rim and in like a day the glue will be gone and peels off like there was never any glue and when you buy tires the come with foams anyways
Old 10-07-2010, 04:24 PM
Tech Initiate

i just use the proline bead locks, no mess no fuss. how come more people don't use them? is it the weight or something else?
Old 10-07-2010, 04:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by grundor
i just use the proline bead locks, no mess no fuss. how come more people don't use them? is it the weight or something else?
Its easier to glue and unglue then to have the Beadlocks IMO.

And i like my DE Racing wheels the Split 6 are played out.

And i also use the Acetone fume method
Old 10-07-2010, 04:41 PM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

'how many more times' zeppelin once said.

the acetone doesnt even need to touch the tire, wheel, or anything u wish to unglue. seal it in an old tupperware or rubbermaid tub u no longer use for cooking. prop the tire(s) up out of the shallow pool of acetone. go get drunk, watch the game, eat dinner, drink some more while ur rebuildin the car, go pass out. wake up next morning eat bfast, watch the weather channel for the gameday forecast, bang your wife/gfriend, make bfast for the kids after they interupted you and the mrs., drive em to teeball or soccer, come home and just before the late games come on open up the tub and they'll be done, fall right off the roundbone.

unless of course you run losi pink or equiv indoors. then u must take brand new #11 blade and flush cut the rear bead and unfurl the tire gettin rid of old foam and reform, reglue sidewall back 2gether (presumin like many indoor tires that the foam dies before the tread).

good luck

R
Old 10-07-2010, 05:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 104 (100%+)

this really works well, I tried it and the tire jst fell off.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:23 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 520 (100%+)

I have used the oven method in the past, and had success with it, but it requires a little cleaning of hardened glue res. I am trying the acetone atm, hoping for a little less mess...?--one question--24hrs the time frame?
Old 10-07-2010, 06:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by flame56mx
I have used the oven method in the past, and had success with it, but it requires a little cleaning of hardened glue res. I am trying the acetone atm, hoping for a little less mess...?--one question--24hrs the time frame?
I find that the time frame really depends on the weather for me personally and also how well the glue job was.
1 to 2 days is average time frame for my tires to come off clean from the wheels.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

i've tried both methods and they both work well. it's just that they come with their own pros & cons. but essentially ..
if you need the tires removed pronto, then use the oven.
if you have a few days to spare, then the acetone fume works <-- how fast this works is dependent on the quantity of acetone.
some info:-
oven - i used to use this method, cos i would get everything out and done within the same evening. just have to wait till wife & kids are asleep
i can't help but think the fume is harmless and will linger in the oven even with the fan switched on so i've stopped doing this especially since i have 2 kids at home.

acetone - remember to ALWAYS use gloves. try to avoid direct contact with it. nasty stuff. even if you don't come into contact with the chemical, the fume will "attack" & sting any open finger cuts/wounds you never knew you had! use a mask & work in a well-ventilated area.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Get a big motor!
Old 10-07-2010, 07:58 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

i just boiled mine off... damn RTR tires came undone on the outsides

my foams do look messed up i figured they would have to dry out...?
Old 10-08-2010, 06:31 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)

Looking to try the acetone trick here. I have quite a few tires to dismount and to be honest, im getting sick of throwing perfectly good wheels and tires away because of the tires wearing out or the wheel getting damaged.

I've done the boiling trick before and while it does work, its messy and burns your hands because you've got to get on breaking the tires loose of the wheels while they're still hot. Plus, it wrecks the foams and the high end 8th scale foams will last through two to three sets of tires easy anymore.

10th scale stuff i don't sweat so much because i can easliy cut them loose for foam or wheel changes and the wheels are cheap enough to just replace when the tires and foams wear out together.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:48 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

This may be a stupid question but, how are you getting the foams out if the tyre' are glued? This is why we need a good race proven Bead lock system ,....
maybe Pro-line or some could get on that. I personally hate the whole idea of having to glue my tyre's. That is what keep's me buying Pre-glued.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:58 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

If you cut under the bead of the tire or do the acetone trick the tires are no longer glued . Remove the old foam , clean up the tire and wheel , insert new foam and glue the tire .
Old 10-08-2010, 07:34 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Does the baking method help fix a wheel that is not true? You know the kind, that will wobble left to right as it is spinning.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:38 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kraig
Does the baking method help fix a wheel that is not true? You know the kind, that will wobble left to right as it is spinning.
Hmmm , I never though about doing that . I had been balancing them to get rid of some of that .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.