Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
How long before this technology can be used at a track? >

How long before this technology can be used at a track?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How long before this technology can be used at a track?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 03:30 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Davidka
Lithium is the most energy dense battery chemistry available (anywhere).
Technically no, unless you are referring to the "anywhere" as only anywhere in the rc industry presently.

Sodium batteries are probably gonna be better, as well as flourine batteries, but probably the technology most likely to make it to rc use is the new zinc batteries. Zinc is going to be a lot safer too it looks like, more energy dense, and not as bad on the enviroment. None will be displacing lipo in rc for a while though I am sure.

It is even more unstable but I think unless things have changed just recently the most energy dense battery chemistry is Metallized xenon difluoride (XeF2). Unfortunately it becoming something we can buy is way off given it is entirely too much like a bomb presently. I have read some stuff claiming it to be the next most potentially energy dense material to nuclear. Neat stuff, some cool stuff is coming in our lifetime.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:56 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Just read up on these. By "available" I also meant "usable" because if a battery technology is not applicable/usable then it has to be assumed that it is not available.

Soduim sulphur cells run @ 300-350*C so that's not gonna work. Flourine/Graphite and Lithium/flourine sound like they're not even developed into a usable technology yet. In the few minutes I searched I couldn't find a Silver-zinc battery that had high discharge capability so that's not available either unless I'm missing something, which is certainly possible.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:46 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by thunderdesigns
i predict a cancer risk, please keep it away from kids until 20 years go by.
Mahhh...my kid gets me some smokes and Jack...Whats gonna be the difference?...I tell you ..nooone
Old 10-02-2010, 02:18 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by racer1812
Get real, go back to the early 90's when you payed $80 for a 1200mah battery that you could run once a day if you wanted it to live, meaning you had to have 4 packs to get through the day if planned to practice at all. Then run zero practice laps before the race because you were lucky to make a 4 min. main with a mod motor that would be as fast as a modern day 27t. Still gonna tell me lipos are crappy.. you must be young......
I've started at the end of the 80's, and I do really agree with you !

LiPo is a massive improvement, massive.
Old 10-02-2010, 03:17 AM
Tech Elite

Wifi signals contains energy. In a few years, we'll be able to charge our mobile's wireless in places where they have wifi. This is enough to charge our mobile's, but not enough to pull 100 amps lol.
Old 10-02-2010, 05:50 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Djioul
I've started at the end of the 80's, and I do really agree with you !

LiPo is a massive improvement, massive.
You are absolutely right. Remember charging the NiCd's for 14 to 16 hours to run the car about 5 to 10 minutes, then put it all away again, because batteries were not affordable then!

Lipo's are a huge improvement for the R/C industry just like it has for brushless motors and 2.4Ghz radio systems with NO MORE DARN Crystals. When you think about it, this hobby has gone a long way.
Old 10-02-2010, 04:15 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Davidka
Just read up on these. By "available" I also meant "usable" because if a battery technology is not applicable/usable then it has to be assumed that it is not available.

Soduim sulphur cells run @ 300-350*C so that's not gonna work. Flourine/Graphite and Lithium/flourine sound like they're not even developed into a usable technology yet. In the few minutes I searched I couldn't find a Silver-zinc battery that had high discharge capability so that's not available either unless I'm missing something, which is certainly possible.

I knew what you meant, I was just being annoying and pinpointing "anywhere".

If I had a point to make it is that only a few years ago lipo did not exist to the rc industry and most of the first ones I am not sure I would have taken for free. These are all fledgling technologies not ready for primetime (some may never be) but they do exist and who knows what the future holds for them as far as the rc industry goes.

It could be a very long time before we get past lipo and that would be fine as long as I never have to go back to nicd/nimh ever again but given lipo and li-ion's many and varied problems you can't fault a guy for wishing.
Old 10-02-2010, 05:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 104 (100%+)

I am quite impressed with how far rc has come. Cars that can go over 100, and run for 20 mins short charging times. I am very please. No more overnight charges. Crystals or not radios def better now than on am.
Old 10-03-2010, 12:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JMYBFFT
I am sure many have seen this, but I thought it was pretty amazing and would share with those that have not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgBYQh4zC2Y

Wow, wireless electricity. Never thought it was possible.
But I think those were battery powered were they not..
Old 10-03-2010, 02:04 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

With the oil companies squashing , buying up "ALL" electric car technologies the pace will be slower yet.
Old 10-03-2010, 02:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I thought Speed Passion was suppose revolutionize the industry with the technology last year?
Old 10-04-2010, 10:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I used to race in 95 before Sanyo switched over and started relabeling 1700scr cell to RC-1700 with a nifty new cell cover

I had 10 Ni cad packs I used for practice and racing in those days, charging race packs once a week and practice packs 2-3 times a week. My race pack got better (voltage/resistance) over time b/c of proper care.

I know Lipo is great, especially when speedo's can deliver the power they can. But I agree its F-N 2010 for crying out loud. You can obviously tell the release technology to the masses has been hindered b/c of intellectual property rights (aka Monetary Greed)!

I saw my first Lipo go up and it was like trying to put out Napalm

and plus i want an full size electric car that will be able to run for at least 200mi on a charge.

Next batt tech will be:
-4 to 5 time capcity
-1/3 to 1/2 the size lipo
-possible NOT made from a volatile high temp liquid
-made from a abundant resource to keep it cheap
-atleast 1000 recharges
-High discharge rate
Old 10-05-2010, 07:54 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Metla
Personally I just want better battery tech, Lipo is pretty crappy.
personally I want better banter, this statement is really stupid.

I've been running an average of 2 race nites a week, with about 1.5 hrs total run time per race day with 2 lipo batteries I bought 2 years ago with no loss in performance. no waste, nothing thrown in the trash.
they provide more power than 80% of racers can handle and last 2-3 times longer than any rc race ever is.
that sounds pretty crappy doesn't it.
silly rabbit.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

the good old days of nicad, i still remember when 1200mah was king
well thats all there was,but one day a guy turns up at the race track with a 1400mah pack and we were blown away at such a marvel
i have to agree with its not really the lipo thats the problem but our systems energy demands, imo thats were we need to look, but not sure if thats possable,how can a motor produce the same watts at the same voltage but draw less amps
Old 10-06-2010, 05:51 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 82 (99%+)

i have seen a coffee table that had a computer built into it, and all you had to do is set a camera on it, and it would dl all the pics automatically.

Kinda Neat what we can do now adays!