LC Racing PTG-2R Rally Car >

LC Racing PTG-2R Rally Car

Like Tree12Likes

LC Racing PTG-2R Rally Car

Old 09-14-2022, 06:28 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Cool LC Racing PTG-2R Rally Car

I don't see much about this car on this forum so decided to start a thread.
https://www.rcdriver.com/lc-racing-p...rally-car-kit/

I picked up this kit last week after my lhs announced they're going to try a new multi surface rally cross class.
The kit is pretty nice and was a pretty easy build despite some parts not being in the bags that he manual says they're in.
I installed some old electronics and a brushed stock motor (class is starting off brushed stock only, sadly), started out with 40wt oil in the shocks with the middle firmness springs up front and softest in the rear, seem to handle ok, need to tune out some oversteer. but it is a lot of fun. I will have to take it to the track to really shake it down.

Few take-aways so far:

Positives
  • it has droop screws! no having to pull apart the shocks to limit droop
  • kit comes with 3 different sets of springs
  • removable electronics tray for easy clean up
  • sealed drivetrain and undertray along with the wheel wells and mudflaps help keep crud out of the chassis and gears
  • Comes with a bunch of pills for suspension arm adjustments.
  • Supplied tires work well on multiple surfaces.
  • velcro battery hold down is great if you run multiple different sized batteries
  • pretty good ground clearance and travel
  • sealed gear diffs

Negatives
  • If you're trying to run brushed motors in this thing the motor mount isn't counter-bored enough for most brushed motor to sit correctly and requires spacers.
  • Setting gear mesh is kind of a pain since you can't see the side of the pinion and spur with the enclosure around them.
  • no setup sheet provided to record your settings They also just give you a range of wts you should use but no starting recommendations for the shocks or diffs in the manual
  • no oils or grease provided.
  • no included body
  • would prefer the chassis to be slightly thicker.

I'm sure I'll add more insight when I get to race it this Saturday. I definitely look forward to ripping this around more!

Anyone else have one? Any experiences or setup tips?

(I can't believe I got this body for a mere $20!!)
Khan48 and angrymelon like this.
Old 09-16-2022, 09:45 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

if materials on this are similar to there 1/14 - 1/12 lineup, if they offer a graphite top deck that would be an option I'd look into if you are allowed to for your chassis. harder impacts we saw the chassis taco and break the top deck. graphite one took care of that.
RogueIV likes this.
Old 09-17-2022, 09:09 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

good info, I'll have to look into that.
Cain likes this.
Old 09-17-2022, 11:00 AM
Tech Legend

Sounds good. In general the LC Racing lineup of vehicles offer a lot for the money. Years ago when we first started up our indoor club we went with the LC lineup of vehicles as a cheap option to get some indoor racing in a more limited space.
Old 09-18-2022, 02:55 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

So the car managed to survive the day (the body did not) but it was brutal and definitely a learning experience for all of us as it was the first the track did.

The race consisted of 20 laps on asphalt, 20 on turf and 10 on 1/8 scale dirt track. This was done in both directions for each track.

I don't have pics of the dirt track and this pic of the Turf track (as setup for the JC Turf Nationals) doesn't show the 1 way jumps removed but you get the idea.

We all raced as 1 class but it was a mix of various cars, Mostly Traxxas Rally cars, some Tamiyas TT02, an old HPI RS4 rally car, and myself with the PTG2R. The traxxas were limited to basically box stock with stock brushed motors and electronics, the other cars limited to 27 turn stock motors. All cars had to use the same tire type (you could swap to new tires but had to be exact same ones) they started with and had to be Rally car specific to the scale of the car used. Almost everyone used whatever came stock on their car. One thing was definitely apparent, The Traxxas with it's larger size was definitely more suited for this race where the jumps and ruts of the tracks involved were simply huge for a 1/10 scale rally car but it was still doable.

I'll have better advice later one as I clearly need more time with this chassis.but here's a few things I encountered

Stock setup the car exhibits a lot of oversteer, which is fun but not the greatest for lap times. I didn't have much time to deal with car setup between races so it was a constant battle to get more rear traction as we proceeded to looser and looser surfaces definitely suggest dialing out the anti-squat and adding more toe in.

Jumping with this car is a bit challenging, unlike buggies and trucks you don't have enough rotating mass in the wheels to control the car in the air, you have to setup your jumps more carefully. The front bumper/overhang can be an issue too. I ended up removing the foam bumper after the first run on the turf track to improve front clearance. A buggy style front bumper with a nice slope up would be preferred for this to keep the nose of the car from getting stuck on obstacles. I had a particularly bad time with the Turf track where there was a seam in the carpet after a jump that the front bumper of my car would catch on and stop dead. Of course I was the only car out there without reverse so I couldn't right myself (reverse was allowed. Cars were pretty well spaced since we were running this on our own time and not against each other). There was also a few times on the dirt track where the car nosed down after a jump and dug into the dirt instead of sliding out of it.

These tires wear like iron. Despite my almost constant drifting on the Tarmac stages the tires didn't show much signs of wear and traction isn't too bad for being used on multiple different surfaces. After the entire day they are still usable, and this wasn't a short day.

Durability is impressive. I had some pretty spectacular offs including leaving the straight at full speed into the fence and the car didn't once break or come apart. That more than I can say for the budget body I bought, which at the end of the 2nd turf stage actually looked like real Rally car missing a front fender and numerous cracks meaning i had to tape the crap out of it to finish the last couple stages.
angrymelon likes this.

Last edited by RogueIV; 09-19-2022 at 10:05 AM.
Old 09-19-2022, 06:00 AM
Tech Legend

post your setup can see what advice to offer to help.

Also, those tires, are those the stock tires? Are they they same as the other lc sedan-ish tires that they make? Are you able to swap tires at all or glue sidewalls?
Old 09-19-2022, 06:44 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by Cain
post your setup can see what advice to offer to help.

Also, those tires, are those the stock tires? Are they they same as the other lc sedan-ish tires that they make? Are you able to swap tires at all or glue sidewalls?
I've already changed the setup. Need to wait for a new spur gear though apparently i chewed that up pretty bad. the seup issues were mostly due to lack of test time.

As far as tires go these are fairly good i dont have complaints about them. The rules do allow glueing ect but i don't see the need for that. The only stipilations is the tires must be appropriately sized to your cars scale and be rally styled, no running step pins or something like that. It looks like the LC uses 50mm wheels haven't looked into other tires yet.

Old 09-19-2022, 08:29 AM
Tech Legend

Okay. In general the other tires they offer that have a treaded pattern worked well on a variety of surfaces. When ended up gluing the sidewalls of the front when traction was up there a bit more to get them to feel a bit more consistent in turns and it worked well.

Good luck and if you take some vids be cool to see.
Old 09-19-2022, 10:04 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Okay. In general the other tires they offer that have a treaded pattern worked well on a variety of surfaces. When ended up gluing the sidewalls of the front when traction was up there a bit more to get them to feel a bit more consistent in turns and it worked well.

Good luck and if you take some vids be cool to see.
I assume you mean their SC tires? what's the outside diameter of those? The PTG-2R are 68mm.

Further inspection, yes the PTG2 uses standard TC wheels and tire sizes. I might try the Schumacher SST Rally tires.they look like they'd hook up well.

Last edited by RogueIV; 09-19-2022 at 10:41 AM.
Old 09-19-2022, 11:04 AM
Tech Legend

These were the tire that we really liked, not sure if they are made anymore as I don't see them at Warren RC but riptiderc has them. The tread pattern appears to be tighter packed and not as high a side wall.

Those schumacher tires have used them in the past, they worked well enough, especialy as fronts. pins could wear a bit better though. If they have it in green compound I felt the compound at least lasted a bit longer than yellow but still was soft.
RogueIV likes this.
Old 09-19-2022, 02:26 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

These were the tire that we really liked, not sure if they are made anymore as I don't see them at Warren RC but riptiderc has them. The tread pattern appears to be tighter packed and not as high a side wall.

Those schumacher tires have used them in the past, they worked well enough, especialy as fronts. pins could wear a bit better though. If they have it in green compound I felt the compound at least lasted a bit longer than yellow but still was soft.
Looks like those aren't around anymore at least they aren't on the LC site anymore. Also isn't the EMB-WRC a 1/14 scale car? The PTG-2R is 1/10 scale I assume the 1/14 scale tires would be considerably smaller.

edit: looks like the EMB tires are 3mm smaller in diameter (65mm)so i guess those are still usable although not sure how many are left out there.
Old 09-19-2022, 05:45 PM
Tech Legend

These wheels are sedan sized.
Old 09-21-2022, 06:44 PM
Tech Master

LC racing PTG-2 + center diff
stanleyw808 likes this.
Old 09-21-2022, 06:46 PM
Tech Master

stanleyw808, Ragafoo and RogueIV like this.
Old 09-21-2022, 06:48 PM
Tech Master

PTG-2 KIT + center diff parts from LC buggy 1/10 LC10B5.
pastimesteve likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.