Search
Like Tree48Likes

Hyper TT 4wd 1/10th Truggy Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 11:43 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 146 (100%+)

Originally Posted by heavyjeffd
You may need a higher C rating for that SC setup.

I'm running 25c on a 1/10th scale setup (RSPro/6.5) and it's perfect.

I know my buddies that race SCT's are running the 4.5's, RX8's and 40-50c batteries.
yes, i would try to sort this out by borrowing a 30C+ or higher battery and then check temps.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:08 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

So my TT has always been a little rough in the drivetrain, especially noticeable when rolling it back and forth by hand. Seems like its skipping a tooth between one of the diff gears and main gears(although fine when theres engine load applied). And my buddys TT rolls smooth as silk. So im curious, what the hells going on with mine? Do i need to shim the drive gears? And, whats everybody using in their diff cases, as far as grease? Ive done diff oil in all the diffs, but its the noise from the diff gear and main gear im working on now!
Old 02-23-2011, 12:56 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by heavyjeffd
You may need a higher C rating for that SC setup.

I'm running 25c on a 1/10th scale setup (RSPro/6.5) and it's perfect.

I know my buddies that race SCT's are running the 4.5's, RX8's and 40-50c batteries.
Time for you to get with the times and get a better battery!!

I am running a 40C in mine.

As far as the making the drivetrain more quite is concerned, I have no shimming in mine and i am running 3K Front 5K center and 1K in the rear on the diffs and I have the STRC Delrin main(crown) gear in my TT and I would have to say it is the quietest TT at our local track. Quite, as in just a hair louder than my XXX-4 which is a belt drive. it is super sneaky on the back straight...
Old 02-23-2011, 01:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Sounds like he has his gear mesh too tight.

John: I ordered that spur, I liked how quiet yours was.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

I have a Delrin STRC spur. and my TT sounds like a tank coming down the straight. mesh is far from tight. must be the frt/rear diffs... It runs great just loud!
I wonder if its dragging on me.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:10 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by XB8emUP
Time for you to get with the times and get a better battery!!

I am running a 40C in mine.

As far as the making the drivetrain more quite is concerned, I have no shimming in mine and i am running 3K Front 5K center and 1K in the rear on the diffs and I have the STRC Delrin main(crown) gear in my TT and I would have to say it is the quietest TT at our local track. Quite, as in just a hair louder than my XXX-4 which is a belt drive. it is super sneaky on the back straight...

ha Im afraid you all may be right about the battery situation and maybe higher gearing And as for drivetrain noise my rig is loud as hell and im running 1-3-1 with the stock spur. Is the Derlin spur the answer to a quieter ride??
Old 02-23-2011, 01:15 PM
Tech Elite

He's got the Delrin spur in his and that thing is silent.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:45 PM
Tech Regular

Heavier fluid in the diff would help a bit too. Seems like you are running a bit light in the front and center. Maybe step it up to 3K in the front and 5 or 7K in the center. The heavier fluid not only changes the steering and traction characteristics but will also dampen some of the mesh noise in the diffs.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:46 PM
Tech Elite

I'm running 3-7-1. Only noise I really have is the spur.
Old 02-23-2011, 02:30 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by 1Fastpede
I have a Delrin STRC spur. and my TT sounds like a tank coming down the straight. mesh is far from tight. must be the frt/rear diffs... It runs great just loud!
I wonder if its dragging on me.

Loose is going to be just as loud as running it tight...just a different sound. Rapid fire click as opposed to a bit of squeeze and high temps. I just use the paper trick for pinion mesh and go. But seriously...my rig is super quiet.

Oh yeah...I use just a dab of Lucas Red Stuff, gear lube on the front and rear pinions for the mesh inside the diff cases. I mean just a dab...enough to lube but not so much to drag. That may be part of the reason it is quieter than the other rides at The Clay Pit.... Man...should not be giving away my secret recipes...
Old 02-23-2011, 05:27 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Loose is going to be just as loud as running it tight...just a different sound. Rapid fire click as opposed to a bit of squeeze and high temps. I just use the paper trick for pinion mesh and go. But seriously...my rig is super quiet.

Oh yeah...I use just a dab of Lucas Red Stuff, gear lube on the front and rear pinions for the mesh inside the diff cases. I mean just a dab...enough to lube but not so much to drag. That may be part of the reason it is quieter than the other rides at The Clay Pit.... Man...should not be giving away my secret recipes...
Lucas Red Stuff ehhh, I just might have to try this out

Also what is this paper trick I keep hearing people talk about?
Old 02-23-2011, 05:28 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally Posted by macnkitty2002
Hey Scott,
Ya I looked in both bags last night and the only gears I found were the blue spur gear and the 5mm 14t pinion (no set screw). If you have 3mm pinion that'd be great.
I looked and can't find one anywhere so not sure what would have happened to it. If you didn't already get one let me know and I will PP some money to cover one. Again Sorry about that.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DirtyCookieX
Also what is this paper trick I keep hearing people talk about?
Get a piece of standard printer paper, stick it between your pinion and spur gear, push your pinion against the spur so the paper meshes between the two gears, and tighten your motor. Remove the paper and your gear mesh should now be perfect (the thickness of the paper provides the perfect amount of spacing between the gears).
Old 02-23-2011, 05:41 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by macnkitty2002
Get a piece of standard printer paper, stick it between your pinion and spur gear, push your pinion against the spur so the paper meshes between the two gears, and tighten your motor. Remove the paper and your gear mesh should now be perfect (the thickness of the paper provides the perfect amount of spacing between the gears).

Spoken like a true professional...exactly what I was going to say.

Just put enough pressure to crimp the paper....do not jam them together. Should be able to pull the paper out long ways with the gear mesh. If you look real close, you should be able to hold the pinion still and roll back and forth on the main gear to have just the slightest amount of "tick". Then just drop it and rock the shiz out of that little truggy!!!
Old 02-23-2011, 05:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Spoken like a true professional...exactly what I was going to say.
Why thank you I've been doing it the last 11 years, used to think I was the only person doing it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.