R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree4Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-23-2011, 11:43 AM   #2281
Tech Elite
 
RC*PHREAK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 4,426
Trader Rating: 119 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyjeffd View Post
You may need a higher C rating for that SC setup.

I'm running 25c on a 1/10th scale setup (RSPro/6.5) and it's perfect.

I know my buddies that race SCT's are running the 4.5's, RX8's and 40-50c batteries.
yes, i would try to sort this out by borrowing a 30C+ or higher battery and then check temps.
RC*PHREAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 12:08 PM   #2282
Tech Adept
 
LDOstrem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Seattle, Washington
Posts: 120
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

So my TT has always been a little rough in the drivetrain, especially noticeable when rolling it back and forth by hand. Seems like its skipping a tooth between one of the diff gears and main gears(although fine when theres engine load applied). And my buddys TT rolls smooth as silk. So im curious, what the hells going on with mine? Do i need to shim the drive gears? And, whats everybody using in their diff cases, as far as grease? Ive done diff oil in all the diffs, but its the noise from the diff gear and main gear im working on now!
__________________
Why doesnt anyone makeing desert buggy cage/body's or do I have to fab my own :/
LDOstrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 12:56 PM   #2283
Tech Regular
 
J. Schwarz's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Leander, TX
Posts: 369
Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyjeffd View Post
You may need a higher C rating for that SC setup.

I'm running 25c on a 1/10th scale setup (RSPro/6.5) and it's perfect.

I know my buddies that race SCT's are running the 4.5's, RX8's and 40-50c batteries.
Time for you to get with the times and get a better battery!!

I am running a 40C in mine.


As far as the making the drivetrain more quite is concerned, I have no shimming in mine and i am running 3K Front 5K center and 1K in the rear on the diffs and I have the STRC Delrin main(crown) gear in my TT and I would have to say it is the quietest TT at our local track. Quite, as in just a hair louder than my XXX-4 which is a belt drive. it is super sneaky on the back straight...
J. Schwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 01:06 PM   #2284
Tech Elite
 
heavyjeffd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,796
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

Sounds like he has his gear mesh too tight.

John: I ordered that spur, I liked how quiet yours was.
heavyjeffd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 01:10 PM   #2285
Tech Master
 
1Fastpede's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: McKinney,TX
Posts: 1,642
Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)
Default

I have a Delrin STRC spur. and my TT sounds like a tank coming down the straight. mesh is far from tight. must be the frt/rear diffs... It runs great just loud!
I wonder if its dragging on me.
__________________
--
1Fastpede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 01:10 PM   #2286
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Orange County
Posts: 194
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB8emUP View Post
Time for you to get with the times and get a better battery!!

I am running a 40C in mine.


As far as the making the drivetrain more quite is concerned, I have no shimming in mine and i am running 3K Front 5K center and 1K in the rear on the diffs and I have the STRC Delrin main(crown) gear in my TT and I would have to say it is the quietest TT at our local track. Quite, as in just a hair louder than my XXX-4 which is a belt drive. it is super sneaky on the back straight...

ha Im afraid you all may be right about the battery situation and maybe higher gearing And as for drivetrain noise my rig is loud as hell and im running 1-3-1 with the stock spur. Is the Derlin spur the answer to a quieter ride??
__________________
HB Ve8 HHH
DirtyCookieX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 01:15 PM   #2287
Tech Elite
 
heavyjeffd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,796
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

He's got the Delrin spur in his and that thing is silent.
heavyjeffd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 01:45 PM   #2288
Tech Regular
 
J. Schwarz's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Leander, TX
Posts: 369
Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)
Default

Heavier fluid in the diff would help a bit too. Seems like you are running a bit light in the front and center. Maybe step it up to 3K in the front and 5 or 7K in the center. The heavier fluid not only changes the steering and traction characteristics but will also dampen some of the mesh noise in the diffs.
J. Schwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 01:46 PM   #2289
Tech Elite
 
heavyjeffd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,796
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

I'm running 3-7-1. Only noise I really have is the spur.
heavyjeffd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 02:30 PM   #2290
Tech Regular
 
J. Schwarz's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Leander, TX
Posts: 369
Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Fastpede View Post
I have a Delrin STRC spur. and my TT sounds like a tank coming down the straight. mesh is far from tight. must be the frt/rear diffs... It runs great just loud!
I wonder if its dragging on me.

Loose is going to be just as loud as running it tight...just a different sound. Rapid fire click as opposed to a bit of squeeze and high temps. I just use the paper trick for pinion mesh and go. But seriously...my rig is super quiet.

Oh yeah...I use just a dab of Lucas Red Stuff, gear lube on the front and rear pinions for the mesh inside the diff cases. I mean just a dab...enough to lube but not so much to drag. That may be part of the reason it is quieter than the other rides at The Clay Pit.... Man...should not be giving away my secret recipes...
J. Schwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:27 PM   #2291
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Orange County
Posts: 194
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB8emUP View Post
Loose is going to be just as loud as running it tight...just a different sound. Rapid fire click as opposed to a bit of squeeze and high temps. I just use the paper trick for pinion mesh and go. But seriously...my rig is super quiet.

Oh yeah...I use just a dab of Lucas Red Stuff, gear lube on the front and rear pinions for the mesh inside the diff cases. I mean just a dab...enough to lube but not so much to drag. That may be part of the reason it is quieter than the other rides at The Clay Pit.... Man...should not be giving away my secret recipes...
Lucas Red Stuff ehhh, I just might have to try this out

Also what is this paper trick I keep hearing people talk about?
__________________
HB Ve8 HHH
DirtyCookieX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:28 PM   #2292
Tech Addict
 
hogmansp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Berrien Springs MI
Posts: 648
Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnkitty2002 View Post
Hey Scott,
Ya I looked in both bags last night and the only gears I found were the blue spur gear and the 5mm 14t pinion (no set screw). If you have 3mm pinion that'd be great.
I looked and can't find one anywhere so not sure what would have happened to it. If you didn't already get one let me know and I will PP some money to cover one. Again Sorry about that.
__________________
Losi 22 revtech
Kyosho SC-R Big Bores revtech
hogmansp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:32 PM   #2293
Tech Elite
 
macnkitty2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Montgomery, AL
Posts: 4,923
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyCookieX View Post
Also what is this paper trick I keep hearing people talk about?
Get a piece of standard printer paper, stick it between your pinion and spur gear, push your pinion against the spur so the paper meshes between the two gears, and tighten your motor. Remove the paper and your gear mesh should now be perfect (the thickness of the paper provides the perfect amount of spacing between the gears).
__________________
Team Associated RC10B4.2
Losi Rock Rey
macnkitty2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:41 PM   #2294
Tech Regular
 
J. Schwarz's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Leander, TX
Posts: 369
Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnkitty2002 View Post
Get a piece of standard printer paper, stick it between your pinion and spur gear, push your pinion against the spur so the paper meshes between the two gears, and tighten your motor. Remove the paper and your gear mesh should now be perfect (the thickness of the paper provides the perfect amount of spacing between the gears).

Spoken like a true professional...exactly what I was going to say.

Just put enough pressure to crimp the paper....do not jam them together. Should be able to pull the paper out long ways with the gear mesh. If you look real close, you should be able to hold the pinion still and roll back and forth on the main gear to have just the slightest amount of "tick". Then just drop it and rock the shiz out of that little truggy!!!
J. Schwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:45 PM   #2295
Tech Elite
 
macnkitty2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Montgomery, AL
Posts: 4,923
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB8emUP View Post
Spoken like a true professional...exactly what I was going to say.
Why thank you I've been doing it the last 11 years, used to think I was the only person doing it.
__________________
Team Associated RC10B4.2
Losi Rock Rey
macnkitty2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 02:55 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net