RC8be advice

Old 09-16-2010, 04:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default RC8be advice

hey guys, i have been running my nitro rc8b all summer, and now its time to convert it to electric - i bought the mamba esc and 1800 motor. so here's the question...what BASIC gearing would be SAFE TO START WITH for a small, tight track? obviously i will be spending more time on this once i run it, I JUST DONT WANT TO SMOKE THE ESC within 2 laps around the track like i did on the last 8e i had (although it was a novak HV setup). oh, and the batt is a 4s 40c thunderpower.

thanks in advance for you suggestions!!!
Old 09-16-2010, 04:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

17T should do the trick.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:42 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by ses601
hey guys, i have been running my nitro rc8b all summer, and now its time to convert it to electric - i bought the mamba esc and 1800 motor. so here's the question...what BASIC gearing would be SAFE TO START WITH for a small, tight track? obviously i will be spending more time on this once i run it, I JUST DONT WANT TO SMOKE THE ESC within 2 laps around the track like i did on the last 8e i had (although it was a novak HV setup). oh, and the batt is a 4s 40c thunderpower.

thanks in advance for you suggestions!!!
I typically run somewhere between 18 and 21 depending on the track size, etc with similar batteries. For something small and tight I'd probably start with an 18 or 19. That said, I'm not one that wants to tear the tires off of a car.. my preference is to have as much power as I need to run consistent laps, not so much power that I'm fighting to hold on to it.

With the 1800 unless you do something extreme configuration wise in the ESC or have driveline bind, etc it doesn't generate a ton of heat so as long as you check it here and there you shouldn't have any issues.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

ok guys, sounds good. i know the conversion kit comes with a couple spurs and a 15 and 16, so hopefully i can get in the park with that for now. THANKS
Old 09-17-2010, 07:28 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I'm running the 1.5y 1800/MMM also. I've tried 20, 19 and 18 indoors and I'm running the 19 now. Pretty tight indoor track. Works good for me, all temps are low, good run times. Plenty of punch without being squirrely.