Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
1/8 Brushless sensored or non? >

1/8 Brushless sensored or non?

1/8 Brushless sensored or non?

Old 09-15-2010, 08:08 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default 1/8 Brushless sensored or non?

I'm trying to get going in 1/8 Brushless, and have acquired (thanks RCTech) a Mamba Monster ESC and a Tekin 2650kv motor. However the motor is a sensored, and the MM seems to be non-sensored.

Am I correct in that? Castle's web-site is great for getting you hyped up, but short on detail information.

Do I need to sell the Tekin motor and get a non-sensored (or sell the Mamba Monster and get a Tekin ESC)?

I'm real familiar with 1/10 brushless technology, but this is my first foray into 1/8th.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

It will run just fine. Jusy hook up the 3 motor wires and run it. If it goes backwards just swap 2 of the wires.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:49 AM
Tech Addict

I tried that Saturday. It ran backwards, so I swapped the red and black. Ran forward but had 3 times as much speed in reverse as it did in forward. Non-raceable. I swapped back to my 3000kv non-sensored motor, so I could run, but it gets too hot, and is too much for our track.

The Mamba Monster doesn't use a sensor at all?
Old 09-15-2010, 09:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by markd469
I tried that Saturday. It ran backwards, so I swapped the red and black. Ran forward but had 3 times as much speed in reverse as it did in forward. Non-raceable. I swapped back to my 3000kv non-sensored motor, so I could run, but it gets too hot, and is too much for our track.

You have something backwards. The mamba motor does not have sensors at all but you shouldn't need them. What type of radio do you use? If it is a Futaba, you may have to reverse the throttle channel and then recalibrate the controller. The motor running faster in reverse it not a motor problem. You probably don't notice it with the 3000Kv motor because it spins way too fast in both directions. It sounds like you have the throttle channel backwards and when you pull the trigger the controller is actually going into reverse(but the motor spins the correct direction due to the wire swap). The controller settings probably have the reverse strength limited to something less than 100%.

Last edited by kufman; 09-15-2010 at 10:14 AM. Reason: added more detail
Old 09-15-2010, 11:34 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

If you're using a Futaba controller, they have to have the throttle channel reversed before you even get started.

The MMM is totally unsensored.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:12 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by badassrevo
It will run just fine. Jusy hook up the 3 motor wires and run it. If it goes backwards just swap 2 of the wires.
Or hook it up to castlelink and set the motor to run in the opposite direction if you dont want to change the wires
Old 09-15-2010, 01:48 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by markd469

Then your wires were good, but you have to reverse your throttle channel.
Tekin and MMM runs fine. I just bought a Tekin motor for my MMM.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:09 AM
Tech Addict

Thanks for all the input.

I thought I had it wired right the first time, but I'll rework it again.

I'll start with transmitter throttle set for normal (not reversed).
I'll rewire A to A, B-B, C-C
I'll re-program the ESC as if it were a new install
If it is still reversed, I'll try to reverse the transmitter setting first.

If none of that works, I'll hook-up the field-card and see if I can do anything with that. If not, its Castle-link time, I guess.

I just never had any problems with this and non-sensored motors (ran a 1900 and a 3000 without issue, except one was too hot and the other not fast enough). All my 1/10 stuff is sensored, so I'm leaning as I go.

Thanks again.