R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Mini-T Questions (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/43392-mini-t-questions.html)

Nrctc3 06-22-2004 09:28 AM

Mini-T Questions

I have a Mini-T on the way & I have a few questions...

1) What are some of the most recomended hop-ups? I already have aluminum chassis, bearings, batteries & stock Trinity motor.

2) What pitch is the spur gear? Can I use my pinions from my 1/10 cars?

raving-monkey 06-22-2004 10:28 AM

best hop ups are probably a servo (you will need an esc and an rx if you get a servo) and a motor

i currently use the graupner speed 300 motor...it is really good for its price. (you can use the speed 300 with standard esc)

they are the first things i got for it.

Nrctc3 06-22-2004 10:39 AM

Well, I was gonna get a hitec 81MG servo anyways.

Aaron Waldron 06-22-2004 11:18 AM

Losi's oil shocks are the FIRST thing to buy for your Mini-T. They make the truck much more stable on any uneven surface.

I wouldn't add anything aluminum. It will make the truck heavier and more prone to breaking parts. If you add anything aluminum, I'd go for pivot blocks and hubs, but not the chassis.

ChrisP 06-22-2004 11:36 AM

The Aluminum steering rack also helps take ouot a lot of the slop in the front end..

you may want to look into the Ti turnbuckles as well..I've mangled my original steel ones pretty bad....

The Hitec HS-81MG may not be the best servo choice...Hitec tech support told me directly that it's not intended for car use..that the vibration is too hard on the potentiometer as it's mounted directly to the main spline. They recommended using the HS-85MG instead for car applications.

raving-monkey 06-22-2004 12:10 PM

1) i wouldnt get losi shocks...they leak more than bottle of water with a hole in it:lol: :p

i use the 3 racing shocks and they are sooooo smooth and dont leak at all...they are threaded to:nod:

2)i use the hitec hs55 and its a really cool servo..great price to. Losi have just brought out )or are bringing out) a servo saver that fits the hs55 (with the splines, not hexagon crappy thing).

3)alluminium is a tiny bit heavier than plastic...if any heavier at all.

alluminium is extremely light....another thing to go for would be proper turnbuckles..the tie rods tend to bend fairly easily.

Nrctc3 06-23-2004 09:31 AM

So what pitch are the gears on the Mini-T? Also, which motor is better, the Trinity stock or the stock Losi one? Also, how does the Mini-T jump compared to a stadium truck? Will I be able to run it on a racetrack?

j240z 06-23-2004 09:51 AM

Here's what I've got. I love this set-up:
GPM oil shocks
Full ball bearings
Thunder power 11.1v 3 cell li-po pack
GPM Ti turnbucles ( yes they still break )
81mg servo
xxtra rx
Mamba 25 6800k comp brushless

oh yeah, and a wheelie bar!

The speed 300 motor is great too. I have a brand new one if you're interested.

Aaron Waldron 06-23-2004 11:08 AM

The Losi shocks hold up ok, I'm having great luck using two of the seals on each shock.

I believe Airtronics is making a servo for the Mini-T as well, as well as a servo saver for other mini servos.

I would use the Trinity pinion gears; they have a set screw to hold the gear onto the motor, and the teeth are the same size as the spur gear.

nrctc3 - The Mini-T is a pretty good jumper, but don't expect it to be as stable as a 1/10 scale truck. I have jumped mine on 1/10 scale jumps before and it handled it very well for the size of the truck.

Nrctc3 06-23-2004 05:31 PM

Do you think it'll jump the same size jumps as my 1/10 stadium truck with a stock motor? Also, are you able to control it in the air like a 1/10 truck? What kind of speeds can I expect to see from it with ball bearings & a Trinity Micro Monster stock motor in it?

Aaron Waldron 06-23-2004 11:53 PM

You can't control them in the air as much as your "full-size" truck, but it should jump some, if not most, of the jumps a stock truck can clear.

With a 6-cell pack and a Trinity motor, you can expect speeds in the 15-20 mph range.

Nrctc3 06-24-2004 05:53 AM

Alright Aaron, thanks for all your help. My Mini-T should be arriving today.

Nrctc3 06-24-2004 12:56 PM

Just got my Mini-T. How do I set pre-load on the shocks? There's no pre-load clips. Also, what servo would you recomend, cause the stock one is junk!

mattyk6 06-24-2004 04:20 PM

I bought my Mini-T used and it already had pre-load clips on it. Maybe the guy got them from another car. I don't know.

sosidge 06-25-2004 12:29 AM

There are pre-load clips with a Mini-T - they're on a couple of sprues in the kit.

Servo change - bit of a minefield.

Extreme - I have heard that people are using a Hitec HS55 servo, and actually going into it, and replacing the 3-wire circuit board with the 4-wire Mini-T board. Big job. You can probably find out more with a search at www.minioffroaders.com

Intermediate step is to swap the Mini-T electronics for real electronics, and use a HS55 (or pretty much any sub-micro servo). With the HS55 you can do a mod to fit the standard hex servo saver and servo gear - see it at my personal site http://www.sosidge.pwp.blueyonder.co...ex-page49.html

Easiest step is to buy a servo with a proper servo saver. I'm not sure about availability yet, but Airtronics have a servo that is designed to fit the Mini-T, with a servo saver. Losi are also working on a saver for the HS55.

HTH