Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traxxas to Deans adapter in rc car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 12:26 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Traxxas to Deans adapter in rc car?

Would anything be wrong with using one of these adapters inside the car itself ? Would the connection be weaker or will it use more energy or anything? Is it safe... i guess thats the main question to ask. I have deans on all my other cars and figured i could get an adapter and use it with all my deans batterys in my slash that has a traxxas connector on the esc. Just trying to avoid pulling the traxxas connector off of the esc itself if i don't have to. The battery i have with deans is a 3s lipo i want to put in the slash w/ the adapter since the lipo has a deans already on it and i want to use it in my other cars as well. Also how about for charging? I've had no problems with adapters on nimh and nicd packs but never used one for lipo always a direct connection (just curious even though i wont be doing it)

Last edited by Xyan2661; 09-08-2010 at 12:36 PM.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

for over a year, my sons 2x4 slash has had a traxxas to deans adapter that i made for him to be able to use multiple batteries.
i have since changed everything to deans but if its soldered right, an adapter shouldnt be any kind of issue for round the house bashing
Old 09-08-2010, 02:15 PM
Tech Adept

Using an adapter will increase resistance since you have 2 plugs instead of 1. You will get higher performance in both top speed and run time by going direct without an adapter.

This is not a big deal if you are just bashing around. It is also not a safety concern as long as the adapter is soldered well.

-Austin
Old 09-08-2010, 09:57 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by austinelse
Using an adapter will increase resistance since you have 2 plugs instead of 1. You will get higher performance in both top speed and run time by going direct without an adapter.

This is not a big deal if you are just bashing around. It is also not a safety concern as long as the adapter is soldered well.

-Austin
Both are a good connector, the above is correct but the resistance and power loss would be so small you will never notice, unless your name is Ryan or Tebo.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:20 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racer1812
Both are a good connector, the above is correct but the resistance and power loss would be so small you will never notice, unless your name is Ryan or Tebo.
and they'd probably be more concerned about the weight.

like racer said, both are very good connectors and the power loss would be unnoticeable.
Old 09-09-2010, 03:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (99%+)

As far as I know its recommended only for charging not for running. Im shure you can run safely and wont knotice any difference in you RCs performance. I suggest buying a soildering gun and just using one type of plug. Either one would be fine. Being a Traxxas guy I just use Traxxas plugs. Once you cut the Trx plugs off you void there lifetime warrenty.
Old 09-09-2010, 05:29 AM
Bus
Tech Master

Originally Posted by RCaddict0
As far as I know its recommended only for charging not for running. Im shure you can run safely and wont knotice any difference in you RCs performance. I suggest buying a soildering gun and just using one type of plug. Either one would be fine. Being a Traxxas guy I just use Traxxas plugs. Once you cut the Trx plugs off you void there lifetime warrenty.
Agreed. Cut the end $45 for new ESC. $20 bucks if leads are original. Just make the adapter. But dont cut the leads off. I learned the hard way
Old 09-09-2010, 06:30 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Bus
Agreed. Cut the end $45 for new ESC. $20 bucks if leads are original. Just make the adapter. But dont cut the leads off. I learned the hard way
I kept my traxxas connector and soldered it back on before I sent the esc in for warranty
Old 09-09-2010, 07:49 AM
Bus
Tech Master

Originally Posted by horseteeth
I kept my traxxas connector and soldered it back on before I sent the esc in for warranty

why didnt I think of that?????
Old 11-23-2010, 05:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (99%+)

I think they would notice. If you check out TRX factory soilder you'll see the wire goes inside of a small loop and then soilered. I havent seen these types other than on there ESCs. The ones I buy from retailers arent like that.
But it might work.