R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 09-04-2010, 06:42 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default novak havoc sc 550 4.5 combo

Just wanted to know how everyone likes this. i just picked it up yesterday and i think its doa. it shuts down ramdomley and wont power back up?? not sure whats wrong and no support cause of the holiday weekend. but when i did get to use it (all of 3 min) it was like night and day from the slash 4x4x stock motor esc. Any one know what the top speed is with the novak in a slash 4x4?
mcop306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 07:43 PM   #2
Tech Master

Send a message via Skype™ to ShortCourseOnly

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcop306 View Post
Just wanted to know how everyone likes this. i just picked it up yesterday and i think its doa. it shuts down ramdomley and wont power back up?? not sure whats wrong and no support cause of the holiday weekend. but when i did get to use it (all of 3 min) it was like night and day from the slash 4x4x stock motor esc. Any one know what the top speed is with the novak in a slash 4x4?
I have the HV4.5 with Havoc Pro and experienced some "glitching". What solved my glitch was a glitch buster capacitor on my receiver. Also make sure your steering servo is not hitting the end stop which draws a lot of current. This impacts the ESC. Lastly make sure your motor sensor wire is free and not under any tension. What receiver, servo, and battery are you using?

Today I had my first big race without any glitching!!! It was so nice to have so much power in my Jammin SCRT10. I qualified 2nd and Finished 4th in the dark!!
Associated SC10 4x4/Havoc Pro SC/Ballistic 550 4.5t
Traxxas Rally Custom Edge/Ballistic 540 10.5t
ShortCourseOnly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 08:36 PM   #3
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to teeforb

The motor is good, esc is garbage. Its fan dependent. No fan, esc will thermal. And the fan never stays on for me.. So if you are an aggressive driver, this is not the esc for you.. I went with MMP
teeforb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 06:18 AM   #4
Company Representative
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

it is important to follow the instructions carefully with these controllers; one issue is failure to properly perform the OneTouch set-up procedure. Also make sure that all harnesses--especially your motor sensor harness---are secure and that your solder connections are properly done. Good idea to re-read the instructions and follow exactly.

Because I am not part of Novak's technical support group, I suggest you email [email protected] with your question, Our regular CS/Tech Support hours can be located here. Before emailing, take a moment to review the instructions (trouble-shooting guide) originally included with your Novak Item:

Novak Instruction Downloads

Trouble-shooting TeamNovak's One Touch™ Speed Controls

Quote:
Please make your initial email as detailed as possible. Include:

~ speed control (brand/model)
~ motor (brand/wind)
~ number/type of cells
~ battery, brand (c rating/capacity
~ rotor (old/new)
~ connectors used
~ servo (brand/model)
~ radio system (receiver/transmitter)
~ vehicle & gearing
~ warranty claim?
~ lipo cut-off, on/off
~ any external modules (BEC/brand, Glitch Buster)
~ other important info: water damage, corrosive chemical sprays, excess heat, etc
The more information you provide in your first email, the more quickly tech support can offer you assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcop306 View Post
NovakTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 11:26 AM   #5
Tech Adept

i will email them tuesday when they are open. I did not have to sodder anything it came ready to install. And i installed it just as teh youtube video from novak said and when i was done it looked exactly like what they had. last night i got it to turn on and once again it went 10 feet and then all teh lights on the esc turned off and now i cant get any of the lights to blink at all. I cant even do the default set up option cause it wont even blink when i hold down teh programming button? but for the fan still comes on and the steering still works...it just wont go lol! I do have to say that the 3 minutes i had with it working it was very very nice and smooth.
Old 09-05-2010, 11:29 AM   #6
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeforb View Post
The motor is good, esc is garbage. Its fan dependent. No fan, esc will thermal. And the fan never stays on for me.. So if you are an aggressive driver, this is not the esc for you.. I went with MMP
lol well for me the fan is the only thing that is working for me! I took it up to the lhs last night where i bought it and of course it worked and turned on? but as soon as i got home it wouldnt even turn on lol. i went to 3 different places last night thinking there might be interfearance somewhere but same result each place.