R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 09-03-2010, 05:30 AM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default Getting back into hobby with son - need some advice

I'm looking to get back in to the RC hobby with my 8yr old son. I built and raced cars back in the late 80's. I had a few Tamiya products and then got one of the early editions of the RC10. Well 20yrs later I'd like to get back into it with my son since it would be something we could do together and he really likes running his little toy cars.
I'd like to build my own but it seems those cars are now geared more for the more advanced racers and RTR is the thing now for the hobbiest. I've been looking at the RC10T4.1 and the Traxxas Rustler.

What do folk recommend as a starter truck for me and my 8yr old? If he likes it as much as I think he will we'll probably do a build your own as a second project.

Thanks.
mjgarw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 05:50 AM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

If you plan on "racing" at all, look into the current generation on "Short Course" trucks.

Slash = durable
SC10 = good all arround
Kyosho USC = pure race bred
Losi Strike = DO NOT BUY ever

For an 8year old new comer I'm goting to say Slash or SC10 with RPM upgrades.

If Stadium trucks are still popular locally then the T4 with RPM arm upgrades would be almost as durable as a Rustler & 10x more tuneable.

If you both have the same cars/parts, then there is less spares to keep on hand.

my 0.02
GLwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 05:56 AM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLwagon View Post
If you plan on "racing" at all, look into the current generation on "Short Course" trucks.

Slash = durable
SC10 = good all arround
Kyosho USC = pure race bred
Losi Strike = DO NOT BUY ever

For an 8year old new comer I'm goting to say Slash or SC10 with RPM upgrades.

If Stadium trucks are still popular locally then the T4 with RPM arm upgrades would be almost as durable as a Rustler & 10x more tuneable.

If you both have the same cars/parts, then there is less spares to keep on hand.

my 0.02
i agree with this 100%.

we sell so many slashes it is crazy. I also returned to the hobby 3 years ago. I started in the early 80's. i hated traxxas from the late 80's and swore never to buy their stuff. but it was the main reason i am back in the sport. i bought my son a slash and now we are a hobbies shop, track and even manufacture cars.

that is what a simple slash has done to inspire me.
Team T2C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 06:13 AM   #4
Bus
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Yes Slash is the way to go! I bought my two boys some last x-mas. Great trucks and cant tell you how many times they should have broken but didnt.

BTW I sneak them Slashes to the track sometimes and race them myself! FUN!

Get a high C rated lipo and never look back!
John 3:16, Losi 2.0, Losi 2.0 T, B4.1, B44.1
Sponsored by Wife
Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 06:19 AM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I agree that Short Course is popular most places and a very fun class. The only thing about BOTH of you running same class is 1)I don't like racing AGAINST my son 2)If your son breaks or has technical difficulties during a race you either have to stop and fix his(which is what I would do) or let him sit there disappointed. I recommend running 2 different classes. My 2 cents worth.

Losi 810/Slash 4x4
brofroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 06:26 AM   #6
Bus
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by brofroe View Post
I agree that Short Course is popular most places and a very fun class. The only thing about BOTH of you running same class is 1)I don't like racing AGAINST my son 2)If your son breaks or has technical difficulties during a race you either have to stop and fix his(which is what I would do) or let him sit there disappointed. I recommend running 2 different classes. My 2 cents worth.
I must disagree, what other sport can you think of to race with your kids? Heck I put my stuff on the shelf and go down to the track on Wed. night just to race Slash have fun with my kids. Second, It should always be a track rule that if you break you cannot leave the driver's stand in the middle of the race. And wow how do you break a Slash?
Sponsored by Wife
Old 09-03-2010, 06:28 AM   #7
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I have to agree on separate classes. I turn marshal for my sons class that way I am on the track if he has issues.
He runs 4X4 SC and I run 2WD SC. There are times they will throw us all together and we run against each other. Spend more time messing with each other in those cases but we have fun. I have tought my son that when its broke its broke. No point in getting upset or disapointed, there will be another race.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:38 AM   #8
Bus
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattozx6rr View Post
I have to agree on separate classes. I turn marshal for my sons class that way I am on the track if he has issues.
He runs 4X4 SC and I run 2WD SC. There are times they will throw us all together and we run against each other. Spend more time messing with each other in those cases but we have fun. I have tought my son that when its broke its broke. No point in getting upset or disapointed, there will be another race.
Thats part of racing. Heck we all had to do it. It makes us think twice next time to turn or hit some brakes! Instead of go full blast into a wall!
Sponsored by Wife
Old 09-03-2010, 06:49 AM   #9
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

OH I dfinately agree. I turn marshal anytime a class is short on them. My son is the same way. You will see both of us out there most of the night and for all classes but ours. If something breaks then I get out of it for a bit until its fixed but my son is a dedicated turn marshal.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:12 AM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

I prefer racing with my two grandsons. On dirt we all run stock Slashes. When they aren't there I also have a Mod Slash. On carpet we run our controlled class 1/12th scale street stock class.
nutz4rcyktw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 07:24 AM   #11
Tech Apprentice

I race and bash slashes with my 9 y/o son. Great father son time.

Our open slash class is big enough that I can run in different race than my son. He's enough faster than me that we only overlap in the mains part of the time. I always marshal his race. I like running the same trucks from a parts and repair standpoint. If he breaks really bad, we just put his body on my truck.
jeff hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 07:49 AM   #12
Tech Apprentice

Well I guess I need to find out what we have locally (Raleigh, NC) in terms of tracks and see what they're racing and maybe base our decision on that. Are there any upgraded parts that you would recommend for either the SC10 brushless RTR or RC10T brushless RTR that would make them more durable?

Update- Looks like there's a track not far from my house that races 1/10SC. Looks like they have to be RTR. Based on these rules what could I add to a SC10 to make it more durable?

This class is for all 1/10 2WD Ready-To-Run (SPEC) Short Course Trucks. All manufacturers are welcome in this class, with the following restrictions:
Chassis:

* The chassis must remain in stock form. No aftermarket chassis may be used.

Body:

* The body used must be a full-fender truck body that is specifically made for short course trucks.
* The body must completely cover the tires when viewed from above.
* No add-on spoilers or wings allowed.

Suspension - All suspension parts must remain stock, with the following exceptions:

* Traxxas Slash shocks are allowed to have aluminum caps and bodies.
* Any shocks from any RTR kit may be used on another brand of RTR kit, so long as the suspension arms do not have to be modified in any way.
* Springs must remain stock.

Last edited by mjgarw; 09-03-2010 at 08:03 AM.
mjgarw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 08:28 AM   #13
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

No matter what you decide on, the most important thing is spending time & having fun with your son.
flyintrtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 08:48 AM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 121 (100%+)

You'd better check out the motor requirements. Don't get the SC10 Brushless RTR unless they allow that motor. The SC10 Brushed RTR is pretty good, but the ESC is a weak link. I haven't broken any part on my SC10, but I smoked two of the ESCs. You can get the Slash RTR esc cheap second hand and they are supposed to be more robust.

If you buy the SC10 download the Factory Team setup ( http://www.teamassociated.com/pdf/ca..._edit_2010.pdf). It is much easier to drive than the original RTR or kit setup was.

You can get SC10s fairly cheap off the for sale forum here. I've picked up two for around $175 shipped. One of those included a LiPo.

Another option that hasn't been mentioned is the Blitz. They are suppose to be a better racer than the Slash, but more robust than the SC10.

My 7 yo son and I are having a blast with the SC10s since he got his. We spend 15-20 minutes 3-4 times a week after dinner running them in front of our house. It's good bonding time.
ChrisAttebery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:18 AM   #15
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjgarw View Post
I'm looking to get back in to the RC hobby with my 8yr old son. I built and raced cars back in the late 80's. I had a few Tamiya products and then got one of the early editions of the RC10. Well 20yrs later I'd like to get back into it with my son since it would be something we could do together and he really likes running his little toy cars.
I'd like to build my own but it seems those cars are now geared more for the more advanced racers and RTR is the thing now for the hobbiest. I've been looking at the RC10T4.1 and the Traxxas Rustler.

What do folk recommend as a starter truck for me and my 8yr old? If he likes it as much as I think he will we'll probably do a build your own as a second project.

Thanks.
Welcome back to the hobby. A T4.1 is great truck to get, but for your 8yr old a Slash would be preferable over a Rustler. Rustlers are good, but the Slash is a better truck. Not only is it an indestructible basher, it's also a pretty capable racer. Parts are cheap, plentiful and the truck is super easy to work on. It's also completely waterproof. I wouldn't recommend the SC10 for a inexperienced driver. It is an aggressive all out racer that can be handful and need a lot of tuning to get it drivable. For you though, you would probably like the SC10 if Short Course is your interest. The Blitz is also a good SCT and it's more durable than the SC10, IMHO. Don't know much about the Kyosho except others seem happy with it. It's more expensive as are the parts and you will have to get most of those online. Ignore the Losi Strike.
Remember, above all else, to have fun.
Associated FT T4.2
blade329 is offline   Reply With Quote