Wiki Posts
Search

pros and cons of 1/8 electric

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 06:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kufman
Electric 1/8th drivers are not well received by nitro guys.
Sad but true. They'd rather have fewer race entries than deal with electric guys.

When I first got my e-buggy, I raced at big outdoor nitro tracks and I was definitely disappointed with the attitudes and with the traction. Now I'm racing it indoors at my favorite 1:10 offroad tracks and having a pretty good time with the new class. The nitro guys could blow this class up if they decided to use electric conversions during the winter instead of huffing nitro fumes indoors, but I don't see that happening in the near future.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Leodis
Sad but true. They'd rather have fewer race entries than deal with electric guys.

When I first got my e-buggy, I raced at big outdoor nitro tracks and I was definitely disappointed with the attitudes and with the traction. Now I'm racing it indoors at my favorite 1:10 offroad tracks and having a pretty good time with the new class. The nitro guys could blow this class up if they decided to use electric conversions during the winter instead of huffing nitro fumes indoors, but I don't see that happening in the near future.
I can remember when electric racers refused to run with nitro.
Old 09-05-2010, 11:08 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

why would nitro guys have issues with an electic conversion?
seems absolutely stupid
Old 09-05-2010, 12:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by SpEEdyBL
Pros:

Reliable
Easy to drive
Lower cost in the long run
Can run non stop w/ the current lipos and charging methods.

Cons:
Requires you to pay close attention to detail
Requires sufficient research and common sense
Higher initial cost

Reasons why you might blow and esc:
1. You didn't mount it with enough cushion. This is especially problematic with the mamba monster and the tekin rx8, because of their weight and case design. Some mounting locations such as the one at the end of the losi 8ight-E conversion battery tray aren't directly supported underneath - sort of like a diving board, which is what you want.
2. Your soldering connections are poor or you are running batteries with an insufficient amp rating.
3. Your motor is way to fast causing you to turn the EPA down to an unreasonable level. Do not exceed 2,100kv for 4s, 1700 for 5s, and 1400 on 6s unless you are bashing in the street.

EXACTLY!! the main reason why the 1/8 blows up is due to the fact that there is no cushion under the speedo!! i put the foam that was in the box of the mmm 1/8 system....and loads of it!! also in the reciever box as well.. then i used the erevo mount to push it down. screwed them into the batt tray with lock nuts. so far so good!! gotta invest in some good cells too and balance EVERY TIME YOU CHARGE!! i leave the stock settings on mine due to the fact that when you start altering things will go wrong. after 15 min my rc8be comes off the track at around 160-165! PERFECT nitro is a massive headache and in the long run you will spend 3 times the money!!
Old 09-05-2010, 12:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

You can get into 1/8 electric on a budget and have reliable electronics and a killer car. Hotbodies ve8 with rear aluminum skid $250 from tower with code. Mmpro speed control with external bec $120 with tower code. Tekin 1900 or 2050 motor $130. 3 x turnigy 4500 hard case lipos $150 shipped from hk. Throw in any decent 200 oz. Steering servo and go race. Not too bad, $700 for a race ready 1/8 scale. No exhaust mess, quiet, and you can do a battery swap fairly quickly if you want to run with the nitros.

I realize I'm leaving a couple of small things out like an aluminum servo horn and a couple of pinions but you get the point. Mmpro is about as bulletproof an esc as you can get. There are some firmware versions that can cause issues but it's a great esc.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:12 AM
Tech Adept

I feel most burn up there junk trying to run wit da nitros let the class grow into it's own.
Ep does not work running for 20 min. from what i have been reading they will not run wit nitro.
It seems to be a no win trying to make one run for 20 min.
I'm building an VE8 know and can not afford to be burning up my electronics evey run i'll wiat for it's own class to race it.
Old 09-06-2010, 12:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I agree. If u gear your car to come off at 8 minutes with the
esc or motor hot trying to run a 25 or 30 minute nitro main is begging for trouble. I gear my car conservatively and have ran many 25 minute mains with no issues.
Old 09-06-2010, 12:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jrxt
I feel most burn up there junk trying to run wit da nitros let the class grow into it's own.
Ep does not work running for 20 min. from what i have been reading they will not run wit nitro.
It seems to be a no win trying to make one run for 20 min.
I'm building an VE8 know and can not afford to be burning up my electronics evey run i'll wiat for it's own class to race it.
Please I've been racing against nitro's (Including up to 5 pro's) for 2+ years now WEEKLY with my 8ight-e 1.0 and I'm still using the SAME MMM ESC! LOL people screw their crap up, don't treat it properly or have other issues and blame the ESC all the time. (5min heats 12-30min mains)

The issues that cause MOST esc failures...

#1 Bad ESC mounts (not enough padding or the case comes part and the ESC bops around until destroyed) and the driver doesn't notice or stop
#2 Gearing issues (over typically) causing heat issues and the driver doesn't pay attention and change or stop to cool
#3 Motor issues, demagnetized rotor or thrown bearings etc causing abnormal conditions/workload and the driver doesn't stop
#4 drive train issues (lockups) and the driver doesn't stop
#5 excessive water during use or compressed air w/ water while cleaning (done by the driver)
#7 Being an idiot (yes by the driver) LOL
#8 bad wiring or bad solder joints (also owner/driver issue) *power switch may need to be bypassed as they don't hold up over time

Notice most issues are caused by the owner! LOL If you are unlucky enough to get a bad ESC, it will most likely fail in the first few minutes of use... anything longer has a LOT to do if not ALL to do with the owner!!
Old 09-06-2010, 06:19 PM
Tech Adept

I'm glad you have it worked out.
New to EP 1/8 can you please give some key tips to avoid burning up my junk?
Thanks.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:19 PM
Tech Master

Brushless Tuning- set it & forget it
Nitro Tuning- plugs die, tunes fall out, even the ambient weather plays a part in tuning a nitro

Mechanical braking is a major plus imo.. increases the motors lifespan by taking the stress of that job away from the motor
Old 09-06-2010, 11:16 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

My track time tends to go like this:
Get the nitro out and spend 30minutes or more tuning then get frustrated due to some strange mechanical issue (sticking carb slider last weekend) give up and get the electric going. Have a great time driving the electric for a few packs until landing in a puddle, burning something up, etc. Get frustrated and get the nitro going, spend a while tuning it again and find the perfect tune just as it's time to go home.

It's great to have both, I really couldn't decide between them if I could only have 1. I'll only race electric though. Just too much hassle with nitro and too much to go wrong.