Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
My Nitro Evader ST Review >

My Nitro Evader ST Review

My Nitro Evader ST Review

Old 06-18-2004, 07:28 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default My Nitro Evader ST Review

Well this isnt too much of a review as it is a praise.
First let me start by saying I have had more top end r/c cars and trucks then I can count on fingers and toes.

I started with a pancar then went straight to a TC3 factory team with a 13 turn motor and it was fun for a bit.
I dont race or go to any tracks so its mostly local play, I normaly play down the road at the church since its nice smooth blacktop and the TC3 could barely handle my street cause of the cracks in the road.

After playing in the church for a bit I noticed how fun it was to jump the little curbs with the tc3 (real little more like speed bumps curbs) so I bought a truck but it wasnt big enough.
So I bought a USA-1 ( which was a pos and always broke something) so I went all out with a Monster Pirate.
Mind you in between all this there where scattered other r/c's but I am trying to not make this into a novel.

The pirate was fun for about as long as the TC3 but it was so big and heavy it always broke stuff and just all around wasnt that fun because of its huge size.
So I fell in love with the comprimise of the vehicle that when I first got started in r/c's I thought where the dumbest thing STADIUM TRUCKS.

I broke down finally after not having an r/c in about 7 months and bought a brand spankin new ( My 2nd new vehicle) Nitro Evader ST.
With the deals at towerhobbies and the 1 year on parts + 2 year on motor warranty + the payment plan I couldnt say no.

I went for it and was hoping to not be disapointed.
First let me say that break in sux, this is my first new nitro and break in just sux.
I couldnt get the carb right trying to follow the instructions so I set it by feel after the break in and O MY GOD IS THIS THING FAST.

Second let me say that a .18 OS motor on a stadium truck is just plain out stupid, this truck is NOT for newb's.
Its like something someone would do to make the ultimate backyard basher.

You can not even pull the trigger half way in between dead stop and 5mph roll without yanking the front tires straight up.
The battery box will act as just as much of a wheelie bar as a battery holder.

I raced several of my freinds r/c's including some nitro stadium trucks and they wont even try a second time after the first, this truck is just too much.

and for any of you who think I am complaining or that these are bad things please read again, I am praising, this truck is NUTZ.

So far I changed the spur and clutch bell cause I threw on masher 2000's with hpi super star rims for rough terrain and tall grass, and thats about it. will upgrade a couple parts to aluminum in the future as they break since I seen that there is alot of aluminum parts for the truck.

My one and only gripe is how easily water gets in everywhere, especially the battery box. Duratrax should have including some sort of big o-rings for the battery box because it will fill right to the top with water in the rain, or after going through a couple puddles.

I havent loved an r/c this much since my Yokomo Mr4tc sd ssg special (my first new r/c) , which has always sat on a shelf more then anything because I am like smeagal and its my preeeeciouusssss.

So far 3 of my freinds have theirs on the way ( after seeing mine in action) and my pops (4? yr old) is thinking of getting one but he needs more practice with the electric one I built him first.

Im 24 and not much excites me as much as my streetbike but you can say I just became a duratrax fan.

please add some comments if you have one of these or have played with one and what you think of the truck. ( please dont compair a $300 truck with a $600 truck though).
Old 06-18-2004, 07:48 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

This truck has gotten good reviews out there. Only thing is if you want to race this the motor is a big no no, not legal even for tracks that allow outlaw trucks with .15s . But for bashing, I don't think other than what XTM has out there is a 2wd stadium truck as fast as this one. ( the Schumacher Menace is 4wd right? ).

I have been looking at this vehicle to do some racing with, just take out the stock engine, put in some quality race .12 engine and let it hang out. I wonder if anyone is racing this thing?
Old 06-18-2004, 08:47 AM
Tech Apprentice

I dont know about racing with it, I seen a shoot out with 3 stadium trucks in r/c car action before and the Evader came in last , or maybe it was the kyosho?

not sure but for backyard bashing and the price tag its a no brainer.

and just to show those that dont like stadium trucks you can put some pimp 2.2" wheels on it and some street tires with a proline stampede body slammed and have a sweet lookin street truck, or you can go like me with the big masher 2000's and an F-150 proline stampede body.

I also tried to put 40 series spinners on it and after a bunch of hard work and staring out how outragious it looked I took it out for a spin and you cant turn with the body on .

The only thing I need to do is fab up some sort of wheelie bar cause my battery box is gonna crack and break sooner or later.

Good luck on the conversion though