Old 08-29-2010, 06:01 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bbrace3m
and im not no ryan maifeild or tebo
go double negatives
Old 08-29-2010, 06:08 PM
Tech Master

The factory team version with a huge increase in rear toe-in has been a revelation for me, having been one of the early adopters with the original SC10 kit. It handles night and day better than the original non-factory kit. I was like you...always felt like I was fighting my original truck. This one is much, much nicer.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 377 (100%+)

I hear the Losi Strike is a pretty good truck.....lol
Old 08-29-2010, 06:13 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Driver86
As I just said, I've become sick and tired of this miserable piece of . I've spent 4 months and I don't know how much money trying to make this thing drivable. I'm clearly convinced that this thing was built with the sole intention of driving the people mad who foolishly bought it or as in my case was talked into buying it. Well, CONGRATULATIONS AE, you succeeded as I clearly don't have the patience to sit here and crack the code of how to make this thing both handle and have grip. I'm sure Associated passes out the secret or hell maybe even a decent version of the truck to their team drivers but the rest of us schleps don't have a prayer. I've had enough of screwing with toe-in bars, springs, suspension height settings, battery placement, tires and everything else to make this truck do what it's clearly incapable of doing: HANDLING ON A DIRT TRACK. I want to race competitively not figure out the riddle of the goddamned Sphinx. That is why I'm jumping ship for the Slash. I'm not a pro, I just want to race with the local guys and I can't do it in this SC-turd.

Here's somebody that agrees with me and had even less patience than I did.

http://www.bigsquidrc.com/rc-reviews...am-associated/
There are a lot of setups on the AE website plus team drivers like me who are available to help you out. The Slash could be better for you and you may go faster with it. But the SC10 is a faster truck.

The link you posted is to a review that is 14 months old. A lot of development has occurred with the truck since that time including much better short course tires.

Sorry you couldn't make it work but that does not make the truck a POS

Last edited by Kraig; 08-29-2010 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Removed the profanity from original poster
Old 08-29-2010, 06:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Rick,

Well said. I run a Slash but race with SC 10s, Blitzs, and an occasional Strike (now one left at our local tracks).

They all can be made to handle and be race worthy. At our track, you never know what brand is going to be A-Main winner what race. Priority is and always has been, without the right tire for your track; you are toast.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Briguy

Good place for ALMOST any setup need.

They have my "OLD" SC10 setup, it's over four/five months old!!
Old 08-29-2010, 06:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (83%+)

Driver 86, you are making a HUGE mistake!!! Trust me!! I WILL tell you that I am SURE you are making a big mistake I have a slash now with a LCG chassis, I'm pretty picky about my setups and don't stop trying till I find one I like. I have my slash DIALED.. TILL I drove a sc10 the other day at the track when my slash stopped working. The sc10 was like stepping in heaven compared to the slash. I felt way more comfortable and stable and FASTER with the sc10.

Now before you go buying a slash and getting rid of the very nice sc10, what tires do you run at hales track and steves track? Tires will come into play a lot!
Old 08-29-2010, 07:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Driver86. youre not just patient enough man! How about a better tires, weights, etc. Or better yet go get a 4wd SC and stop complaining!
Old 08-29-2010, 07:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
There are a lot of setups on the AE website plus team drivers like me who are available to help you out. The Slash could be better for you and you may go faster with it. But the SC10 is a faster truck.

The link you posted is to a review that is 14 months old. A lot of development has occurred with the truck since that time including much better short course tires.

Sorry you couldn't make it work but that does not make the truck a POS
+1

But I also can't agree with calling the OP names either from some of the other posts from other people. He has the right to his opinions, but perhaps he should've waited a few days before pushing the "submit post" button...

The SC10 was frustrating for me too. I knew from the get-go that it was all in the tires, as tires IMO make up 90% of my setup. The rest of the 10% is a mixed bag of suspension tweaks and power...

Once alternate tire patterns came out, the SC10 was more driveable...

There is another thing with SC trucks that have to do with bias. If you came from a stadium-truck background, it takes a while to get used to the more sloppier feel of SC trucks...

My first outing with the SC10 was also with my B44. I drove it back to back, since I wanted to cool off each vehicle in between runs. The B44 is a precise vehicle, the SC10 was a sloppy but fun vehicle... You can't expect the SC10 to handle like the T4, it just can't... Unless you start using some non-SC type of tires on it (like 1/8th scale rims tires).

Still I wonder, with all the new tread patterns, what is the fine line between SCT and ST?
Old 08-29-2010, 07:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Briguy
BTW...that was total sarcasm in my post
Old 08-29-2010, 07:56 PM
Tech Rookie

Thumbs up

Good for you Driver 86,

I stuck it out a little longer with my SC-turd, about six months before jumping ship and running a Slash...and I've never looked back. With the SC10 I would place mid field in the C-Main, maybe make the B-Main if not enough guys showed to race I'm running way faster lap times and going 2-3 more laps with the Slash. In fact the last two weekends of racing I actually made the A-Main, besting all the qualifiers for the C and B mains. I knew I could drive, just needed the right equipment, and a Slash works for me.

JcMotorsports
Old 08-29-2010, 07:57 PM
Tech Elite

This is interesting. I decided that I wanted to race Blitzes with my son and I have been sort of fighting setup all year. I will admit that we have been running stock tires all year. I got a chance to drive Matt Rodgers' SC10 and I really liked it, BUT he runs mod class and had proline or jcon wheels and tires. So I have a set of racing tires on the way to see if that is the trick (99% sure it is)

So I guess I am just saying maybe it is something outside the car? I am used to driving electric 1/8 scales and these things are lumberwagons comparatively, but stock sc slows everybody down to my level so I think I am better in this class....lol.

But on the other side of the coin, we have had plenty of people pick up laptimes switching to Caster and we have had a few who have slowed down, so I have to conclude that some way, somehow, there is a right and a wrong car for each person. About 7 years ago, I got a GS Storm and loved it, got a Mayhem the next year and hated every minute of owning it. Most would say the Mayhem was a better car, but not for me at that time.

Maybe he will do better with a Slash. It doesn't mean that one vehicle is necessarily better than the other. Reading the rc car comparison, there are definite differences between all the sc trucks.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:25 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Quad Racer 34
Driver 86, you are making a HUGE mistake!!! Trust me!! I WILL tell you that I am SURE you are making a big mistake I have a slash now with a LCG chassis, I'm pretty picky about my setups and don't stop trying till I find one I like. I have my slash DIALED.. TILL I drove a sc10 the other day at the track when my slash stopped working. The sc10 was like stepping in heaven compared to the slash. I felt way more comfortable and stable and FASTER with the sc10.

Now before you go buying a slash and getting rid of the very nice sc10, what tires do you run at hales track and steves track? Tires will come into play a lot!
I come from running touring cars, so dirt is new to me, but this has just been ridiculous.

Stock front and caliber rear. Thanks again for the solder help yesterday. I fired this thread off in frustration last night after being really really sick of fighting with the thing constantly. The only other SC truck I've driven was Brian Johnon's Blitz and that thing handled like it was on rails, beautiful. 90% of the other guys are running Slashes so I just figured I'd run what they run.

It's just not any fun going out there every week and finishing no better than 4th or 5th and constantly having to screw with this thing's setup. I've tried all the ones on Associated's website. I have like 11 sheets.

The only thing I have left to try is weights on the bumper. I've got rear grip now but have lost nearly all my steering.

Here's my setup:
10.5T brushless motor and ESC
stock front tires Pro-Line Calibers in rear KMC wheels all around
Red front springs, grey rear 30wt all around
stock shocks, no preload
suspension set at lowest ride height
4.0 degree toe-in block
factory team motor plate
battery ran all the way back (to get rear grip)

If anybody has ANY idea other than throwing some weight on the bumper then let me know. I may go out to Hale's on Wednesday night and if this thing drives like junk again then I'm done until the indoor season.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

I see a prob with your setup. Ditch the 4 deg. toe blocks. Go to 3 deg and .5 or 1 deg on the hub. Your rear end will go through the bumps better and frees up. It will feel "softer"I love my SC10.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kwiksi
I see a prob with your setup. Ditch the 4 deg. toe blocks. Go to 3 deg and .5 or 1 deg on the hub. Your rear end will go through the bumps better and frees up. It will feel "softer"I love my SC10.
+1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.