Community
Wiki Posts
Search

4wd 1:10 Buggy Suggestions Needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 11:15 PM
Tech Adept

Default 4wd 1:10 Buggy Suggestions Needed

Looking to add a nice 4wd buggy to compliment my current 2wd Kyosho RB5 (which I might add is a great buggy). It will be used primarily on an outdoor dirt track here in SoCal. I would prefer a kit requiring relatively low maintanance, and good durability (who doesn't, right?)
After lurking around this forum, the following come to mind:
Kyosho Lazer ZX5 SP
Tamiya Durga (DB01 chassis, enclosed drivetrain)
Team Durango DEX410R
The track I will be using is pretty dusty, so I'm a bit concerned about junk getting in the belt system, and/or the gear mesh. The enclosed drivetrain on the Durga would eliminate that, but I'm not sure it's up to par with the other two. Maybe it's not as big of a deal as I think. The Kyosho and Durango seem like higher quality kits, but appear more "fragile"
Anyway, any thoughts would be appreciated, and feel free to suggest ANY other buggy I didn't mention.
Thanks!!!
SoCal
Old 08-20-2010, 11:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

I run the Ae B44 and i love it.I would highly reccomend you this car
Old 08-21-2010, 02:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

The Durango is the best-handling car I've ever driven. The 410R is all you need just replace the stock plastic front suspension mounts with the aluminum ones because they break like they're made of butter.

It's an awesome car.
Old 08-21-2010, 02:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (89%+)

dount count out the ZX-5 FS. or even the new FS2. The kyosho shocks soak up the bumps on rough tracks better than anything else on the market
Old 08-21-2010, 08:16 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by mdowney
The Durango is the best-handling car I've ever driven. The 410R is all you need just replace the stock plastic front suspension mounts with the aluminum ones because they break like they're made of butter.

It's an awesome car.
Thanks Mike. Aside from the suspension mounts, is it a pretty bullet proof car (RC speaking)?

Originally Posted by MooseDrool
dount count out the ZX-5 FS. or even the new FS2. The kyosho shocks soak up the bumps on rough tracks better than anything else on the market
That was also a consideration, but I wasn't sure I wanted to go with the saddle packs for the LiPo Bats, since I already have an abundance of stick packs, although it appears most of the upper end cars are using the saddle pack layout. And you're right; the shocks on my RB5 are awesome, with almost no maintenance.

Any thoughts on the Schumacher line-up, or possibly the new Caster?
Old 08-21-2010, 08:24 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I would go with the Kyosho Lazer because of the potential ability to share parts and hardware. So your spare parts count is lower and you have a knowledge of the way Kyoshos are.
Old 08-21-2010, 08:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

We had about 4 schuie cars at hour indoor track last winter and they all seemed to FLY. You may want to check into the CAT SX2 thread and see their oppinions.
Old 08-21-2010, 08:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Durango all the way. The gear diffs will require way less on a dusty track than ball diffs will.

Ive had a B44, 501X and XX-4 and now have the Durango.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I am going to run the new Caster this winter. It looks sweet with the aluminum, plastic and carbon options.
Old 08-21-2010, 11:10 AM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

B44 all the way..
Old 08-21-2010, 12:11 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by SoCalGuy
Thanks Mike. Aside from the suspension mounts, is it a pretty bullet proof car (RC speaking)?
Absolutely. It's most commonly described as a small 1:8 scale. Very durable yet it has a decent amount of flex and handles exceptionally well. It's my favorite car.
Old 08-21-2010, 12:18 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by infanterene
Durango all the way. The gear diffs will require way less on a dusty track than ball diffs will.
That's a really good point. I actually enjoy tuning my gear diffs by trying out different wts of diff oils. I use Kyosho diff oils.

Just make sure that you fully-seat the gears when you assemble the car or you will have issues. Read the Oople review first because he has some very specific tips during assembly.

One gotcha for US drivers is parts availability. Someone said on the DEX410 forum that A Main Hobbies has a limited time exclusive on Durango parts so none of the other US stores are able to carry them yet. Though I buy most of my stuff from amain (and RPP) I've found that a lot of the 410 parts have been out of stock since the product was first released. I'm sure that's Durango's fault but it's something to be aware of. Ordering parts direct from Durango (which has everything in stock, strangely) requires a minimum $30 shipping fee.

If I had it to do all over again I would have skipped the 410R and waited for the full spec 410, even though it's more pricey. I've already spent more than the difference buying the hop-ups ad-hoc. The 410R was an impulse buy while I was visiting Nor-Cal hobbies and the 410 wasn't shipping yet...
Old 08-21-2010, 09:59 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks to everyone for all the helpful suggestions
It seem as though whatever I end up with will most likely require a saddle-pack LiPo. I'm real familiar with the stick packs, but have no idea what I'm getting into with the saddle-pack. Your thoughts and/or recommendations would be appreciated.
Thanks again,
SoCal
Old 08-22-2010, 12:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

Saddles are the same.. there are just two of them.. go to amain and look at them (by brand) and get an idea.. the Proteks are probably your best bet.. the have a decent mAh rating and high C rating, while still able to fit in every chassis your debating on (even the durango).. but remember if you don't want to get saddle there is always the very capable Schuie CAT SX2 and the Jconcepts BJ4 (non worlds).. I believe jconcepts started reselling the kits on their site (may not be available).
Old 08-22-2010, 12:31 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by t8rtot
the Proteks are probably your best bet.. .
Yup. That's what I use. They are a very tight fit though. You have to position the battery strap at it's highest setting. I had to shave it a little bit around the rear by the joint.

The Racer's Edge saddles are also very popular with this car.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.