Wiki Posts
Search

2004 ROAR Electric Off-Road Nationals Coverage

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2004, 10:17 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Hey Brandon,

I've got a firewire cable, no USB. It's the one I use for my Canon vid camera. I'll take it tomorrow, just in case it's the right one.

Thanks for the props on the track, we worked our a$$' off the last 3 weeks. I was one of the dudes on track maintenance on Monday night. Big hispanic dude with blue shirt.

We were able to patch the major bad spots and re-sugar the area, should hold up for another day. We'll throw down a good re-work on Wednesday night to get it ready for controlled practice and qualifying.

Good to hear you survived the drive.

FYI, if anyone needs their tire/registration packet prior to Wednesday you can come grab me (Steve Griego) or anyone in the ARCOR Volunteer Area on the Southeast pit area. We'll have that area manned all week. Since this is open practice, things are pretty loose around there and we're not fully staffed yet.
Old 06-07-2004, 11:52 PM
Tech Legend

Anybody have any details about Roar`s change on the tire rule.

*Tire tread must be visible....

I just wonder ,

how much tread has to be left to be legal ?
Old 06-07-2004, 11:58 PM
R/C Tech Founder

Hey Brandon,

Thanks for the updates! We'll be watching...
Old 06-08-2004, 01:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally posted by Brandon Rohde
STEALTH,
I have a few cameras here and will be posting some pics throughout the week. I will also try to get some short video clips from the camera as well. I think it has 30 second captions, so I could at least get a lap or two in. The camera is brand new, so I will have to mess with it a bit yet.
Brandon: That would be FANTASTIC!!! Hope you can get a few cool shots of some of the new Associated driven BJ4s while they are racing! I just continue to hear better and better things about them! It would be great for the Class if Losi gets some solid competition in 4WD! Take it easy and ENJOY!
Old 06-08-2004, 06:40 AM
Tech Elite

Wild Cherry - That rule is basically to stop anyone from dremeling their tires down to slicks.

Considering they are using Pro-Line tires..that could be tough.

C'mon BK, RC, MF, and AD!
Old 06-08-2004, 10:55 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Glad to see some news on this. If anyone can tape the A-main for 4wd buggy, I would love to see it.
Old 06-08-2004, 12:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

If someone can tape any of the racing.....that would be awesome. I also missed this years nats because of school. Hopefully next year though!
Old 06-08-2004, 02:35 PM
Tech Adept

Default Go Region 7!

Just a shout out to the boys from Region 7!

Chad, Steve, Thor, Swanny and anyone I missed, Good Luck!

'nuff said,
MX4
Old 06-09-2004, 09:29 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Any known guys running the Yokomo 4wd vehicles?
Old 06-09-2004, 06:42 PM
Tech Legend

Originally posted by Aaron Waldron
Wild Cherry - That rule is basically to stop anyone from dremeling their tires down to slicks.

Considering they are using Pro-Line tires..that could be tough

Word is the tire`s are bald after 3 runs...
The track is so abrasive, they are replacing shock tower`s if you slide on your lid more then once....

I hear Greg Hodapp is running Ae B-4 & Bj-4..

Last edited by Wild Cherry; 06-09-2004 at 07:30 PM.
Old 06-09-2004, 07:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Hey everyone,

Sorry I didnt get a chance to post yesterday. By the time I got my cars finished, it was almost 3AM and I was beat. I have some pictures of the track on my friends camera, but still need the USB. I will run to Target later and pick one up.

Within a few minutes, I will take some pics with my own camera of what tires and stuff look like. Its pretty wild... 2 runs and the tires are slicks in the middle and no longer even drivable. After 3 runs the whole tread is gone.

On Tuesday, the track was REALLY bombed out. There were some complaints because there were 4 inch holes in the driving lines and on the face of jumps. Some of the doubles you couldnt even jump. That night though, the track crew must have worked some kind of magic. Today the track was primo all day long. They took a 20 minute break during the day for minor maintainance, and it proved to be worth while. Props go out to all the guys who were up late last night fixing the track and making it work awesome today.

The traction here is just insane. Personally, I like it because its totally different that what we normally run at home. From what I have heard, there was over 400 pounds of sugar put on the track to give it a ton of bite. Maybe steborg can verify if thats fact or rumor.

Right now, its hard to tell who is the fastest because we havent done any actual racing yet. Of course, your normal top drivers are going to be at the top. After controlled practice tomorrow, I will try to get some of the drivers times. Right now, high 19 second laps are the quickest in buggy and truck. 4WD is about a second faster.

Setups are also pretty wacked. They are working really well, but they are far different than what you would normally use. I'm not sure what the Associated guys are running, but I will post my Losi setups later tonight. Everyone on the Losi team seems to be pretty close on the setups.

Another cool thing about this race is seeing all of the various 4WD cars. JConcepts has their lastest BJ4x4 vehicles here, and the lastest version of the X-5 is here as well. The X-5 is a new conversion coming out in late July that converts the Losi XX-4 into a single belt drive system. Their new chassis just arrived yesterday, and it loos really nice. It is all molded graphite, similar to the graphite you would see on the Losi vehicles.

Well, we are off to dinner for now. I will post some pictures of tires and the cars when we get back.
Old 06-09-2004, 07:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

Oh.. a few new team changes as well.

Greg Hodapp is now driving for Associated and is racing the BJ4x4.

Jukka Steenari is now running for Trinity instead of Orion.

Dave Montgomery has also gone over to Associated.
Old 06-09-2004, 07:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by Cain
Any known guys running the Yokomo 4wd vehicles?
Cain,

I saw 1 Yokomo yesterday, but I dont think it was a factory driver. Other than that, I'm not sure of anyone running the Yoks. Thats not to say that there arent more people running it that I havent seen though.
Old 06-09-2004, 10:03 PM
Tech Elite

Dave with AE? Nooo..he's gone to the darkside

Best of luck Dave!
Old 06-10-2004, 01:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Thumbs up 4WD!!!

Cool to hear about all the different 4WDs! It really looks as if the Class will finally start to pick-up in the States!

Montomery switched to AE quite a while ago.... definitely well over a month...

The real surprise will be seeing Hodapp wearing Associated Blue and racing a B4 and BJ4!!! I wonder what happened with Losi on that one!?

Last edited by STEALTH; 06-10-2004 at 01:30 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.