Search
Like Tree1Likes

SC10 ball cup problem!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 10:11 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default SC10 ball cup problem!

I have a sc10(obviously) and i have been having a problem keeping the ball cups on the balls! I am running RPM ball cups and am still having the same problem ! Please help!
Old 07-27-2010, 10:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RC8daBOMB
I have a sc10(obviously) and i have been having a problem keeping the ball cups on the balls! I am running RPM ball cups and am still having the same problem ! Please help!
Maybe the ball studs have warn? I run the RPM ones, but keep in mind even those are only good for so long. I just swapped most of them over as I had a few pops during races and was tired of not finishing.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:19 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by 8ight-e
Maybe the ball studs have warn? I run the RPM ones, but keep in mind even those are only good for so long. I just swapped most of them over as I had a few pops during races and was tired of not finishing.
Ive ran at the track (and only at the track) about 6 or 7 times now. having to replace these that often is ridiculous!
Old 07-27-2010, 10:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RC8daBOMB
Ive ran at the track (and only at the track) about 6 or 7 times now. having to replace these that often is ridiculous!
Not crashing helps...
Old 07-27-2010, 10:23 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by 8ight-racer
Not crashing helps...
Old 07-27-2010, 10:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Associated has always had this issue as long as ThunderbirdJunkie can remember.
On his RC10B2, T2, T3, GT, NTC3 and SC10, the stock ballcups all did that.

Buy some RPMs and buy the Lunsford turnbuckles at the same time

Also, for the rears, ThunderbirdJunkie used 4-40 DuBro monster ball ends or whatever they're called (http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJGT9&P=7)

a1 likes this.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Originally Posted by T-BirdJunkie
Associated has always had this issue as long as ThunderbirdJunkie can remember.
On his RC10B2, T2, T3, GT, NTC3 and SC10, the stock ballcups all did that.

Buy some RPMs and buy the Lunsford turnbuckles at the same time

Also, for the rears, ThunderbirdJunkie used 4-40 DuBro monster ball ends or whatever they're called (http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJGT9&P=7)

Keep in mind before modding w/ captured ends when you crashed before and had a cup pop, now you will transfer this impact to a part on the vehicle.. the next thing in line will break, it may take a hit or two.. but in will happen. I've done it before and it has never worked out, best bet is be patient while you learn to drive, as you get better you won't crash nearly as much and won't have this issue. After a ball cup pops a few times I would replace it, most likely it has stretched out, even the rpm ones. For example the guy above has aluminum hubs.. so naturally all this pressure will move to that inside block, which will break when hit right, that or it will work the ball stud out of it and strip the plastic. So do you want to replace that part, or just pop the ball cup back in place? Your choice.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:20 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I've been racing mine for 2+ months now and haven't had a single one pop. Haven't on my RC18 either, in fact those things were insanely hard to remove. I did replace the ones on the RC18 with Losi ones though so that I could have them be adjustable.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:06 AM
Tech Regular

I've been running RPM ballcups for several months now without a single pop as well.

Keep in mind that if you are constantly changing your setup requiring you to pop off a ballcup that even the RPM ones will wear out quickly. In my experience as soon as you pop off a ballcup more than a few times I have to replace it with a new one doesn't fit snug enough anymore for me to trust it.

Are you running with the little white dust guards? I'm sure that helps as well.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:49 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 8ight-e
Keep in mind before modding w/ captured ends when you crashed before and had a cup pop, now you will transfer this impact to a part on the vehicle.. the next thing in line will break, it may take a hit or two.. but in will happen. I've done it before and it has never worked out, best bet is be patient while you learn to drive, as you get better you won't crash nearly as much and won't have this issue. After a ball cup pops a few times I would replace it, most likely it has stretched out, even the rpm ones. For example the guy above has aluminum hubs.. so naturally all this pressure will move to that inside block, which will break when hit right, that or it will work the ball stud out of it and strip the plastic. So do you want to replace that part, or just pop the ball cup back in place? Your choice.
+1
Old 07-28-2010, 08:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I had a couple of mine pop on the rear but that was because i was using the Racers edge hubs. when i would land a jump the hub would hit the bar and pop it. I added some spacers under the ballstud and it solved the problem.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:43 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Moogumby
I had a couple of mine pop on the rear but that was because i was using the Racers edge hubs. when i would land a jump the hub would hit the bar and pop it. I added some spacers under the ballstud and it solved the problem.
That could be why mine isn't popping. I've got spacers under mine in order to get that extra camber length
Old 07-28-2010, 09:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

The Lunsford ti turnbuckle kit uses 3mm sized turnbuckles,not the typical
4-40 - RPM ball cups are 4-40.

So does anyone know who makes 3mm ball cups? The Lunsfords seem to pop off easily.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:45 AM
Tech Adept

I had my balls pop when I would turn a corner hard. Trust me I have been dealing with that forever. I swapped to RPM cups and replaced all my balls and no more issues at all.
I also had an aluminum chassis plate that was a big issue as well. I swapped alot of parts back to stock plastic and have never been happier. I am never buying aluminum stuff again.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:46 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HeavyD99

So does anyone know who makes 3mm ball cups? The Lunsfords seem to pop off easily.
RPM ball cups pop off easier the Lunsford , all I run is Lunsford on all my cars and rarely ever pop off .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.