Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Savage Flux HP + 8000 Li-Po Packs = Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 12:58 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Don't let lipos run down

Whatever you do, don't make the mistake of letting your lipos run down. I have a very expensive lipo that I let sit for over a week after the car was out of commission. The voltage on one of the cells went below a certain thresh hold and no the battery is pretty useless. The battery is almost new. From what I understand it doesn't take much to discharge them too much.
Old 07-31-2010, 03:11 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gutenbird
Whatever you do, don't make the mistake of letting your lipos run down. I have a very expensive lipo that I let sit for over a week after the car was out of commission. The voltage on one of the cells went below a certain thresh hold and no the battery is pretty useless. The battery is almost new. From what I understand it doesn't take much to discharge them too much.

Brand? What's the voltage? Lipo has next to nothing for self discharge, so I wouldn't expect something like this to happen, unless you were right there on the edge to start with or left it plugged into the esc.

If this is just a low voltage prob and there's no damage, there are ways to get past the low voltage and return the lipo to service.
Old 07-31-2010, 04:15 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Duster_360

I'm confused by "batteries internally set up for balance charging" - have no idea what that means, never seen a brand use this terminology. Why do they have external balance wires if they are set up for internal balancing?
When you get the error, is the balance wire attached to the charger? Is 'balance' showing where normal is to the right of charge on the charger?
I agree. I dont think they are internally balancing. Use the balance taps.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Duster_360
Brand? What's the voltage? Lipo has next to nothing for self discharge, so I wouldn't expect something like this to happen, unless you were right there on the edge to start with or left it plugged into the esc.

If this is just a low voltage prob and there's no damage, there are ways to get past the low voltage and return the lipo to service.
Lipos left hooked up to the esc can/will discharge below the 3.0v threshold. I have had this happen before but was able to save the battery. I also bought a car on ebay that came with a lipo battery pack. The seller left the battery hooked up for a month or so (according to them). 2 of the cells were around 3.5, but the 3rd cell was at 0.0v. Couldn't be saved.

Last edited by Bmr4life; 08-04-2010 at 09:11 PM.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Not knowing your Lipos specifications, using lipos past their safe low and high voltage ratings, incorrectly inputting charging settings, allowing lipos to get to hot or cold and result in puffed packs or at worst, fire and explosion.

Read these before you use your Lipos any further:

http://robotwars.00server.com/tutorials.html

http://www.rchelisite.com/lipo_batte...fety_guide.php

http://www.hooked-on-rc-airplanes.co...ery-packs.html