Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Tekin truggy system in a Mugen Buggy?  Mechanical brakes... >

Tekin truggy system in a Mugen Buggy? Mechanical brakes...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tekin truggy system in a Mugen Buggy? Mechanical brakes...

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 01:06 AM
Tech Initiate

Questions?? Tekin truggy system in a Mugen Buggy? Mechanical brakes...

I'm setting up a Mugen MBX-6 with the Tekno V3 conversion, Tekin RX8 1700kv and 5000mah 5cell 30c lipos. I've heard of the truggy version of the Tekin system running cooler, and when I contacted Tekin, all they said was that it had more torque. TeknoRC on another forum posted that a truggy motor will run cooler because it has to work less to put out the same power as the buggy motors. Is this true? If so, why? Are these motors as efficient as the buggy motors? I'm trying to build this buggy to run as cool and efficient as possible. Would the gearing vary far from the buggy motor? I've read up on different setups, but no one could give me a straight answer.

TeknoRC also writes: "Our MBX6 kit can be used with standard pinions (direct drive and motor brake), long shank pinions (direct drive and mechanical brakes), or clutch and mechanical brakes."

I'm interested in using mechanical brakes with direct drive, but Tekno makes it sound like you have to run the long shank pinions with mechanical brakes. I first planned on using RPM's mod 1 pinions; I don't see why it matters which pinion is used. It looks like the only advantage of the long shank pinion is the additional set-screw. Tekin warned against using these because people are bending motor shafts from the additional leverage of the long shank; anyone else experiencing this problem?

Thanks a lot for any help, and if you have any gear combo's, that'd be great too. I can't afford to buy a whole set.

Last edited by FeedThAddiction; 07-25-2010 at 12:09 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 07-25-2010, 12:16 PM
Tech Initiate

Last edited by FeedThAddiction; 07-25-2010 at 02:24 PM.
Old 07-25-2010, 01:55 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

A friend did bend his t8 shaft when using the long shank pin......Tekin told him same thing. Not to sure what you need answered?

If anything I would say give it a try.....keep us posted on result's.
Old 07-25-2010, 02:23 PM
Tech Initiate

I just wondered what peoples thoughts were on running the truggy motor in a buggy; or just to see if anyone else was doing this and what results they were getting, (motor temps, gearing, efficiency, comparable in feel to a buggy, etc.).

I also just wondered what the point was in running a long shank pinion...
Old 07-25-2010, 02:56 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Right on..........I am pretty new. Have not tried all the option's, but as
of now I can't complain w/ the 2050 buggy motor at all. Way enough
power even on 3s my end rpm is low, but it more than makes up for
that short comming. With the torque that is on demand all the time.

This is in a PE 4wd Slash.......RX8 esc, 3s 30c 5000 mah battery. I always
have a smile after running it. I do wish I had a little longer run times. I
only get about 10-15 min.......hoping for 25min a pack.

Maybe runniing a 1700 truggy T8 would be better........?
Old 07-25-2010, 06:48 PM
Tech Initiate

I need to get over 15 minutes in order to run with the nitros. If no one else replies to this, I'll probably just go ahead and get the 1700 truggy system. My buddy runs the 1700 buggy system, and has had temps of 230 degrees for a 15 minute main; (he also has it geared 13/45, which may have something to do with it). Once I test things out I'll be sure to update everyone on here.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FeedThAddiction
I need to get over 15 minutes in order to run with the nitros. If no one else replies to this, I'll probably just go ahead and get the 1700 truggy system. My buddy runs the 1700 buggy system, and has had temps of 230 degrees for a 15 minute main; (he also has it geared 13/45, which may have something to do with it). Once I test things out I'll be sure to update everyone on here.

I have been running th 1550kv Truggy motor in my xray 808 for more than a year. Runs ice cold and 15 minute mains are easy with a 5s 4000-5000 pack. Yes, the increased torque means it doesn't have to work as hard. However, it can make the car a handful.

I think you would be better off with the 1550 and gear up versus the 1700. The 1700 is a ton of power on tap. The 1550 is a little milder in a buggy and runs a bit more efficient.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:22 AM
Tech Elite

When you wanna use the mech brakes, the motor need to be mounted in the holes in the back and you a long shank pinion. The motor is too close to the centerdiff with normal pinions so the mech brakes don't fit between the diff and motormount.

I'm running the tekno kit too and I used long shank too. Now I use traktion drive, which I like very much. I've never had a bend shaft with longshank. I guess the bearings just wear a bit faster than with a normal pinion but I don't care. Avid bearings are like 1$ so replacing that bearing a bit more often than normal won't harm your wallet
Old 07-26-2010, 11:06 AM
Tech Initiate

Wink

Thanks a lot guys. I guess I'll go with the 1550 Truggy system. Long Shank or electri-clutch, not sure. Great info though...
Old 07-26-2010, 11:55 AM
Tech Elite

If you wanna buy the clutch, buy the traktion drive/elektri clutch combo. Its 45$ and all springs are included, the adapter and the shoes. The only thing is you need to complete is a clutchbell.