Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Are the new nanotech turnigy lipos really capable of 10c charging? >

Are the new nanotech turnigy lipos really capable of 10c charging?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are the new nanotech turnigy lipos really capable of 10c charging?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 02:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I have the Orion Twinspec. It will charge two separate packs at 20 amps each, cost about $200.00.. I have been charging my batts: 2x2s GensAce 5000's, 2x2s nanotech 6000's, and 4 Orion 5500 saddles... They ALL get teh 20 amp treatment and so far not a single issue.

I use a 24v 74 amp computer server power supply for the Orion.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:57 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by P6
nano-tech Shorty 4200mah 2S2P 65~130C Hardcase Lipo Pack , what c do i charge at ? im a little confused im pretty sure my charger can do 10c but i wanna be safe i have a lipo bag just in case , anyone else using these batteries are they good
A 4200mah lipo is 4.2amps.
4.2a at 10c is a 42 amp charge... you will be fine at whatever charge rate your charger can do unless it's a flux capacitor

Nano tech's are fantastic! Runs as good as my $125 lipo, a hair less punch on the bottom end and voltage sags a little more in the last minute of run time. But thats 10+ minutes into driving and way past how long a main lasts.

Just make sure to keep your bullet connectors (or springy thingies) fresh so they are nice and tight in the hole. Otherwise they will arc generating enough heat to melt the case and heat the wires up enough to melt the solder on the plug.
That goes for any lipo that you plug the power wires into... not just nano tech's.
Cheap $2.50 every 3 months insurance (depends on how often you drive).

Last edited by fq06; 06-21-2012 at 06:07 PM.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:57 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by fq06
A 4200mah lipo is 4.2amps.
4.2a at 10c is a 42 amp charge... you will be fine at whatever charge rate your charger can do unless it's a flux capacitor

Nano tech's are fantastic! Runs as good as my $125 lipo, a hair less punch on the bottom end and voltage sags a little more in the last minute of run time. But thats 10+ minutes into driving and way past how long a main lasts.

Just make sure to keep your bullet connectors (or springy thingies) fresh so they are nice and tight in the hole. Otherwise they will arc generating enough heat to melt the case and heat the wires up enough to melt the solder on the plug.
That goes for any lipo that you plug the power wires into... not just nano tech's.
Cheap $2.50 every 3 months insurance (depends on how often you drive).
Get "solid" bullets that look like these (available from several brands, lengths and coatings, inline and elbow style):

The spinning cage kind like these are, well, I just can't say in a public forum:

Old 06-21-2012, 07:02 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Dave H
Get "solid" bullets that look like these (available from several brands, lengths and coatings, inline and elbow style):

The spinning cage kind like these are, well, I just can't say in a public forum:

Absolutely.
You can visually see when the prongs are squishing together and need to be replaced before you melt the side of the hard case.

The springy thingey ones will also wear and get loose causing arcing... but you wont know it till it happens. No visual indicator.

Lipo's are too expensive. I change out the bullets in the pic above as soon as the prongs get too close to each other.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:20 PM
Tech Champion

You’ve had issues with the top kind? Maybe I need to get out more, only weekend race. But I’ve used the Fantoms pictured on several cars for a few years now, haven’t noticed any issues. Still kind of a pain to pull out even, I make a little tab with strapping tape to help.

Curious what brand you've had loosening with, and do you use them more?
Old 06-21-2012, 07:51 PM
Tech Champion

You’ve had issues with the top kind? Maybe I need to get out more, only weekend race. But I’ve used the Fantoms pictured on several cars for a few years now, haven’t noticed any issues. Still kind of a pain to pull out even, I make a little tab with strapping tape to help.

Curious what brand you've had loosening with, and do you use them more?
Maybe mot more use than you... about one race a week.

The one I had issues with was a duratrax bullet, but I would not say it was the products fault. That was when I figured out that I need to replace them more than once every 6 months. I came from nitro so the electric deal was all new to me.

I have a heavy truck sc10 4x with exotek chassis and a power hungry system. Rx8 esc and tenshock 411 4 pole 550 motor. The slightly loose connection was arcing and generated enough heat to melt the hot side of the case.

I immediately replaced the bullets with another pair of duratrax (all they had at the track) and did not have issues at all. Of course did not use that lipo, may have been ok to run, bit it's not worth it for a $45 lipo to catch on fire in a $700 plus truck.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:12 PM
Tech Champion

Ah, a 4x4 short course, I could see that. Seems they've sorta replaced electric 1/8 as the hardest on batteries and such, or at least joined them. We just use bullets on traditional 2wd 1/10 stuff, have Deans on the kid's E8.

Thanks for the reply, Cheers.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I've been racing with the stock bullets that come with the Nano's for almost a year. Not had a single issue with loose connections. If the prongs get close together stick a small screwdriver and spread them apart again. Easy fix if need be, there is no reason to change out all the bullets.

Just my .02
Old 06-21-2012, 08:19 PM
Tech Champion

Ah, a 4x4 short course, I could see that. Seems they've sorta replaced electric 1/8 as the hardest on batteries and such, or at least joined them. We just use bullets on traditional 2wd 1/10 stuff, have Deans on the kid's E8.

Thanks for the reply, Cheers.
Yeah, I think I put together the most power hungry setup possible

But it's fast
Old 06-21-2012, 08:24 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by larlev
I've been racing with the stock bullets that come with the Nano's for almost a year. Not had a single issue with loose connections. If the prongs get close together stick a small screwdriver and spread them apart again. Easy fix if need be, there is no reason to change out all the bullets.

Just my .02
True about the spread them back out deal, but for $2.50 every couple months, I'm not messing with that. Change it out in a couple minutes and not worry about it.

With the $ that we dump into these things, $2.50 is nothing.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fq06

Just make sure to keep your bullet fresh so they are nice and tight in the hole.

This my friends is absolutely critical!!!!!

On sooooo many levels!!
Old 06-21-2012, 10:40 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by SOuthernFRIED
This my friends is absolutely critical!!!!!

On sooooo many levels!!
Team Extenz!