Like Tree3Likes

Wet tires...

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 08:24 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default Wet tires...

hi there,

I decided to clean my cars so I put them in the dish washer. Everything went fine, the only problem is that the tires got wet on the inside (foam) and I cannot seem to get them dry, by leaving them outside in the sun?! I am leaving town and I need to get them dry! QUICK!
Any ideas? Oven? Blow Dryer? Microwave???

thanks,
G
Old 07-16-2010, 08:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

Originally Posted by assivaen
hi there,

I decided to clean my cars so I put them in the dish washer. Everything went fine, the only problem is that the tires got wet on the inside (foam) and I cannot seem to get them dry, by leaving them outside in the sun?! I am leaving town and I need to get them dry! QUICK!
Any ideas? Oven? Blow Dryer? Microwave???

thanks,
G
Well that just blows my mind you put your car in a dishwasher. Well not only are the tire foams wet Iam sure you will have rusty bearings throught out the car. Since you are so daring go for the gusto and put them in the cloth dryer and hell put the car in there to and dry it all ...LMAO
petersen114 likes this.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I hope this is a joke post, the dishwasher?! lol wow,

use a leather punch and poke holes in the tires 180 degrees apart, water will fling out due to the spinning tires
Old 07-16-2010, 08:39 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Brushlessboy16

use a leather punch and poke holes in the tires 180 degrees apart, water will fling out due to the spinning tires
LMAO ... x 2 Punch wont work for mounted tires ... SO BE NICE(no drill press) ! and put 4 holes threw the rubber as posted ..
Old 07-16-2010, 08:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)
Default dishwashing

I heard of people doing this,They take out all the bearings and electronics,AND SUPPOSE TO TAKE THE TIRES OFF so they don't get ruined.Then they clean the bearings with nitro cleaner and put the car back together and of course oiled the hardware.IF YOU GUYS DO IT RIGHT IT'S ONE OF THE BEST WAYS TO GET THEM CLEAN BUT YOU HAVE TO TAKE PRECAUTIONS FIRST.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:28 PM
Tech Rookie

I wash mine in the shower. But WD40 afterward.

one follows the other and vica versa (after WD40ing parts when running in water, only washing them will get the crud off after the next run oil and dirt are nasty) it is a viscious cycle.

Always just wipe the inside of the rims though to try and keep the water out, would hate to have to have 4 extra holes in the tires at 3S lipo or series Nimh on a mini. My pede? Never gets washed. I take the body off hold it upside down and shake it. Cleaning done.
Old 07-17-2010, 08:53 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by prettyboy
Well that just blows my mind you put your car in a dishwasher. Well not only are the tire foams wet Iam sure you will have rusty bearings through out the car. Since you are so daring go for the gusto and put them in the cloth dryer and hell put the car in there to and dry it all ...LMAO
Sorry to disappoint you but I never had any problems with any bearings. Before I put any car in the dishwasher, I spray it down with silicon oil. Once its done in the dishwasher, I spray it down again. The car looks brand new after that!!!

G

p.s. thanks for answering my question.
Old 07-17-2010, 08:55 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Brushlessboy16

Never thought about that. The only problem is that I took out the motor including all other electronics. I am not gonna be able to put the car together before I start traveling.
I like the idea though!

thanks,
G

p.s. This is not a joke post.
Old 07-17-2010, 08:58 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by kman16jr
I heard of people doing this,They take out all the bearings and electronics,AND SUPPOSE TO TAKE THE TIRES OFF so they don't get ruined.Then they clean the bearings with nitro cleaner and put the car back together and of course oiled the hardware.IF YOU GUYS DO IT RIGHT IT'S ONE OF THE BEST WAYS TO GET THEM CLEAN BUT YOU HAVE TO TAKE PRECAUTIONS FIRST.
I have done it a million times and I usually take the tires off. I must have forgotten. I never had problems with the bearings. It also depends on what wash cycle you set the dishwasher! Go easy and spray the car down with silicon oil and you will be surprised how clean the car will look like!

thanks,
G
Old 07-17-2010, 09:00 AM
Tech Regular

Let me sum it up real quick:
A lot of people are amused about the dishwasher idea but no one really has an answer to my question?! Is that correct?

G
Old 07-17-2010, 09:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

punch couple small holes on the outside tire then spin it.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Put an airgun to the hole in the wheels and hold it open 25% for a minute or so...
Old 07-17-2010, 09:32 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 198 (100%+)
Lightbulb

Go to Loes or the Depot get the leather punch... yes you can do the wheels munted. Just go easy when you punch the holes. Ive done it! Do it! Then mount the rims on the car and use compressed air to spin the wheel FAST the centrifical forse will throw the water out those vent holes.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:09 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I would get new foams. the water is not doing them any favors. Just slowly cut the bead open and replace the foam. How does your dishwasher hold up with all the dirt and oils from your car?
Old 07-17-2010, 05:31 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by whjdm069
I would get new foams. the water is not doing them any favors. Just slowly cut the bead open and replace the foam. How does your dishwasher hold up with all the dirt and oils from your car?
I might do that...I was looking for a quick-lazy-fix though, ha ha. The dishwasher is fine. Its electric so there isn't that much oil going on...I also rinse the car of under running water in the garage and get most of the dirt of that way...

thanks,
G

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.