Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Smoke from the ESC, can't be good.

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 10:15 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Smoke from the ESC, can't be good.

Last weekend I thought I burnt out my motor, I still think I did but now i'm not too sure. I had a Novak GTB Vloiciti 5.5 brushless system in my Losi Strike, made it two laps around the track and lost power, got to the truck and the motor was HOT, didn't get a temp gun on it because I didn't think there was a reason. I decided to buy a used 6.5 Velociti to replace the 5.5, that came in the mail today. I soldered up the connections to the motor, plugged the sensor motor in it and put a 6 cell pack in the truck and punched it and started to smell that burnt electronic smell. I thought first off all the motor was bad because I bought the motor used and then I punched it again and smoke started coming from the bottom of the ESC. I quickly unplugged the battery. The ESC was hot, really hot, the wires going to the battery were very hot, I could hardly get them apart. I checked the motor and it was cold, all the wires running to the motor were cold as well. It obvious the ESC is shot but my question is do you think it harmed the motor? I'm trying to decide if I should get another Novak GTB ESC or just something else. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Read more: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_98...#ixzz0tCr9OrwC

Last edited by Joel71; 07-09-2010 at 10:38 AM.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:53 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I personnaly don't like Novak. They always overheat. I would get a mmpro or Tekin RS instead. That is good quality stuff. Don't waste anymore time with Novak if you had many problems already.

I wouldn't think your motor would be affected. A motor only gets voltage and makes your car move. It doesn't do anything else. It should be fine.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:11 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

Thats the magic smoke! Its best to keep the magic smoke inside of the esc, cause that what makes it go fast!
Old 07-09-2010, 12:14 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by thecman26
Thats the magic smoke! Its best to keep the magic smoke inside of the esc, cause that what makes it go fast!
roflma ya man gotta keep that magic smoke inside the esc LoL good stuff
Old 07-09-2010, 12:34 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

drop novaktwo a message about the esc and see what can be done. Is it still in warranty period?

I would probably do the following in your case:

1. have someone else try the motor on there ESC to see if all is well
2. call Novak and see what can be done / or how much it is to send in to fix

You can try another esc for sure. If you find you are hard on stuff, I would go with the one with the longest warranty, and that right now is the castle Mamba Max Pro. For the money in comparison to other ESCs out there, sounds like you get a lot of bang for the buck.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:52 PM
Tech Adept

Well now another turn of events.

I decided to hook up my motor that I thought was shot, the 5.5 and just run it till it quit. I ran it and it studdered for a second then the motor gained RPM's and the ESC stopped getting hot. I threw the setup in my XXXT and sure enough the power is back to the motor, the only problem I have now is once and a while the ESC studders when I hit the gas. I'm sure that the ESC is shot or about to die but I think the 5.5 motor that I thought was burnt out is ok.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

sounds like possible bad connections...
Old 07-09-2010, 01:00 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Joel71
Well now another turn of events.

I decided to hook up my motor that I thought was shot, the 5.5 and just run it till it quit. I ran it and it studdered for a second then the motor gained RPM's and the ESC stopped getting hot. I threw the setup in my XXXT and sure enough the power is back to the motor, the only problem I have now is once and a while the ESC studders when I hit the gas. I'm sure that the ESC is shot or about to die but I think the 5.5 motor that I thought was burnt out is ok.
have you tried a different sensor wire if that is possible?
Old 07-09-2010, 01:08 PM
Tech Adept

Its not really possible to change out the sensor wire. My guess is last weekend when it got really hot it melted a connection, then today when it got hot again that connection fixed its self sort of. Maybe i'll dig into the ESC later.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:24 PM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by B4power
I personnaly don't like Novak. They always overheat. I would get a mmpro or Tekin RS instead. That is good quality stuff. Don't waste anymore time with Novak if you had many problems already.

I wouldn't think your motor would be affected. A motor only gets voltage and makes your car move. It doesn't do anything else. It should be fine.
Not true. If the used motor has a bad stator or a demagged rotor, that motor can pull much more current than the esc can handle. Used BL motors should be disassembled and thoroughly cleaned and checked (check the magnetic strength of the rotor, also) before hooking it up to a good esc.

Also, free revving your BL system can damage your electronics.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 211 (100%+)

Its not really possible to change out the sensor wire. My guess is last weekend when it got really hot it melted a connection, then today when it got hot again that connection fixed its self sort of. Maybe i'll dig into the ESC later.
Which is EXACTLY why I think Novak is the bottom of the barrel when it comes to electronics. Damage a $6 sensor wire and essentially ruin an $90 motor!
Old 07-09-2010, 02:06 PM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by Neu_Racer
Which is EXACTLY why I think Novak is the bottom of the barrel when it comes to electronics. Damage a $6 sensor wire and essentially ruin an $90 motor!
We have an entirely new line of Ballistic 540 and 550 BL motors that are completely rebuildable----with every component readily available. We also offer unique and comprehensive Trade-In programs--so that Novak customers can replace, exchange or upgrade any esc (brush or BL) or any BL motor we have ever made.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:07 PM
Tech Adept

UGH! Well bought the 6.5 for $50 and another GTB ESC for $75. So i'm alrady into Novak more than I wanted to be. But hopefully this all works.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:13 PM
Company Representative

UGH! Well bought the 6.5 for $50 and another GTB ESC for $75. So i'm alrady into Novak more than I wanted to be. But hopefully this all works.
We offer certain factory RMF items in our store, all with new factory warranties.

For @50.00, you can get a motor warrantied by us.
Old 07-09-2010, 03:56 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by NovakTwo
We offer certain factory RMF items in our store, all with new factory warranties.

For @50.00, you can get a motor warrantied by us.
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind next time, if there is a next time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.