Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HHH Racing Chassis

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 09:00 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Yes the ones in your pic there Edumakated, the ones for the logo plate, they must need to be ordered separately, as mine did not come with them.

I was thinking a guy should put something under there just as a piece of mind thing.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HH
Actually that is one of the projects currently on my workbench.
Over the past few weeks I have also spoken with rcgod and a couple of other RCTech'rs regarding some alternative spur gears for the Ve8. At this point I am planning to produce some lightened 48t mod1 and 46t mod1 in hardened steel and possibly more than one type of plastic/composite that will fit the Ve8. Still have some fine tuning to do on the Solidworks file before I'm ready to let chips fly.

As for using a spur from another manufacturer such as AE or Losi, it's possible there may be a combination of parts that will work, but it's not likely that will be a better option than just producing one or more model specific spur gears that will work with all of the existing diff components.
I read in an old D8 conversion thread that the Kyosho 46T plastic/nylon spur would direct fit onto the center diff. The only issue discussed was that the top plate wouldn't work because the spur was wider than the metal one. Part number is KYOIF148. The 44T is KYOIF147.

I plan to make a custom top plate if needed.

I ordered two of them and I'm going to try them in my Vorza. From what I understand the VE8 center diff may be different than the D8/D8T/Vorza unit. I'll report back with photos here if anyone is interested.

ben
Old 07-22-2010, 09:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by armourbl
I read in an old D8 conversion thread that the Kyosho 46T plastic/nylon spur would direct fit onto the center diff. The only issue discussed was that the top plate wouldn't work because the spur was wider than the metal one. Part number is KYOIF148. The 44T is KYOIF147.

I plan to make a custom top plate if needed.

I ordered two of them and I'm going to try them in my Vorza. From what I understand the VE8 center diff may be different than the D8/D8T/Vorza unit. I'll report back with photos here if anyone is interested.

ben

The Kyosho spurs will not work. The ve8 spur is actually kind of recessed. Typical spurs will hit the motor mount. Even the d8 spurs won't work due to how the motor mount is designed.

If you look at the picture, the teeth are kind of offset to prevent it from hitting the motor mount.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Spur-Gear-50T
Old 07-22-2010, 09:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MindThoughts
Harley,
That would be awesome if you could make a plastic or non metal spur gear for the Hyper 9e as well. I made the plastic 43tooth losi spur gear fit on my Hyper 9e but it took allot of dremel cutting and fileing and shimming. at the moment. The only spur gear available for the Hyper 9e is the stock 40tooth. allot of people would be happy even with a lightened 40tooth. But almost everyone has asked about a plastic spur gear. I'm suprised knowone has made an aftermarket spur gear for the Hyper 9e. That buggy has moved up in popularity in the past year. I'd sure be happy to buy a few different spur gears if they were available.
I have made the plastic traxxas nitro revo 40t spur fit in my converted D8. It is definitly not a drop in fit since the revo uses a 3 hole mount pattern. I did it using a losi metal diff end plate and used the revo spur instead of the losi one.
I have only run it around on the street so far and I plan to track test it this weekend. I have done this with no special tools, just a dremal and hand drill. If all goes well I will post how I did it. This might give the hyper9 guys an alternitive but wont help the VE8 guys.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:16 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HH
Here's a couple pics of my HHH Ve8 that I just finished building last night.

It's setup for slaying nitros in 20+min mains so it features a T8 1400kv on 6s (3s+3s).

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

I'm off to the first race of the Monster Energy Summer Series right now.

HH

What do you have threaded into the center diff mount to support the front of the HHH tray?
Old 07-22-2010, 07:44 PM
HH
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Lucky7RCN
Well got my chassis on monday, man this thing is nicely made! Everything is fitting perfectly.
Thank you Lucky7RCN! We are trying.

Questions for you guys, what are you using for the stand offs for the plate at the rear? The one that goes at the mounting bolt of the rear chassis brace.
It takes two(2) stand-off posts. One of which should be 32mm long with 3mm threads at one end (top) and 3mm or 4mm threads at the opposite end (bottom) where it connects to the chassis. The other post should be 22mm long with 3mm threads at one end (top) and with 4mm threads at the opposite end (bottom) where it connects to the (extended) 4mm screw for the lower mount on the rear chassis stiffener.

Typically most stand-off posts are already tapped 3mm so once you get the correct length for the two(2) posts, they will just need to have a 4mm tap run through at one end of each of them. As rcgod mentioned there are many different shapes and colors that are readily available from companies like Axial, etc.

The posts and hardware are not usually included with the complimentary Logo Tray. However, we will provide them for any of our customers who do not have the means to create their own. If this pertains to you please send an email to hhhindustries(at)yahoo(dot)com requesting the Logo Tray posts and we will get you taken care of.

Also when using the mmm mount plate for the dual battery set up, should a guy put double side tap or velcro under the esc? It seems to fit in there nice and snug just dont want it moving around while running the vehicle
Either a high quality double sided servo tape or Velcro will work fine. The Velcro is nice to have if you are going to remove and replace your ESC for cleaning etc. The most important qualities being to hold it securely in position and also being able to absorb as much impact as possible.

Due to it being a tight fit, when I use the MMM for an ESC I also attach a small rubber bumper (approx. 8mm) to the front side of the servo mount that is adjacent to the spur gear (aka the rear mount location for the mech brake servo) in order to ensure the ESC cannot shift toward the rear and make contact with the spur gear in the case of a severe impact. (see attached pic)

We are still doing some R&D on our Lower ESC Tray which is designed to accept all 1:8 scale ESC's while providing as much impact resistance as possible. It was just about ready to go into production, but since we just had a Tekin RX8 go bad while using it, we are going to revisit the issue to see if there was anything more that we could have done that may have prevented the RX8 failure.
Attached Thumbnails HHH Racing Chassis-ve8-esc-bmpr.jpg   HHH Racing Chassis-ve8-esc-bmpr2.jpg  
Old 07-22-2010, 07:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Spur gear modification.

Originally Posted by kvrc
I have made the plastic traxxas nitro revo 40t spur fit in my converted D8. It is definitly not a drop in fit since the revo uses a 3 hole mount pattern. I did it using a losi metal diff end plate and used the revo spur instead of the losi one.
I have only run it around on the street so far and I plan to track test it this weekend. I have done this with no special tools, just a dremal and hand drill. If all goes well I will post how I did it. This might give the hyper9 guys an alternitive but wont help the VE8 guys.
This sounds very interesting, will you please post some pictures up so I can see what you did? even if it doesn't hold up on the track, I'm very interested in what you did and how you did this. Can you please post the part number for the Losi part you used? is it the Losi 43tooth plastic/metal spur gear? metal teeth with metal center? I'm trying to visualize what you made, and what you have done to the stock parts. it seems you have to drill new holes, all four? and you also had to counter sink the four holes in the Revo gear as well? what drill bit size did you use? Thank you for the information. This is an awesome little project. Though it would be awesome if someone made a plastic or non metal spur gear for the Hyper 9e.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:12 PM
HH
Tech Fanatic

R-E-A-P-E-R wrote:
... Excellent work.

I would like to see a E Chassis for the D8T sense he already has the basic layout dont. Just needs to be stretched a bit
Originally Posted by rcgod
+1000!!! Come on HH, I want to run truggy at the Nats!
Thank you R-E-A-P-E-R!

Yeah I hear you guys and even though my plate is overflowing with projects you might be in luck because I would also like to build a Truggy.

If anyone has a D8T chassis laying around that they could accurately trace the outline of and write down a few key measurements then drop it in the mail to me so I will have it for a reference, that would be greatly appreciated. Please let me know via yahoo mail for hhhindustries.

Also rcgod, I moved the 112mm shocks to the outside of the rear arm and although I was only able to run 1 pack so far, it definitely feels like its more responsive and still hooking up better in the rear.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:34 PM
HH
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by mugen8605
What do you have threaded into the center diff mount to support the front of the HHH tray?

Good eye mugen8605! I used two #4 aluminum clevis connectors that are commonly used in the linkage of RC Airplanes and Helicopters. They are screwed into the holes using set screws as studs where the brake pads would otherwise be mounted. They offer extra support for the Logo Tray while still allowing it to "float" for the purpose of chassis flex.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:59 PM
Tech Elite

I definetly would like to see a production Ve8 specific LW or plastic spur. I for months have been emailing many companies suggesting this. I got 1 or 2 replies saying that they dont think it would be a big money maker or what ever. I still email them all all the time though LOL. I hate you can get all you want and some stuff you dont want for say slash ECT but Race cars people dont worry about it IDK. I like the plastic so your pinions dont wear, they are cheap, and quieter then steel. Even know I have to say the Ve8 with the steel spur and a Ve8 pinion is the quietest steel to steel car I have ever heard. Plus it is a bit cooler on the motor I would think because I have been having an issue with motor temps since I had this car, nothing crazy just alittle higher then I like and nothing I do is working.
Old 07-23-2010, 06:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MindThoughts
This sounds very interesting, will you please post some pictures up so I can see what you did? even if it doesn't hold up on the track, I'm very interested in what you did and how you did this. Can you please post the part number for the Losi part you used? is it the Losi 43tooth plastic/metal spur gear? metal teeth with metal center? I'm trying to visualize what you made, and what you have done to the stock parts. it seems you have to drill new holes, all four? and you also had to counter sink the four holes in the Revo gear as well? what drill bit size did you use? Thank you for the information. This is an awesome little project. Though it would be awesome if someone made a plastic or non metal spur gear for the Hyper 9e.
The losi part I used is the metal plate that is used along with the losi plastic spur gears for their conversions. The revo spur just replaces the losi spur but needs to be re drilled with 4 holes and the middle hole needs to be hogged out.
With my setup I also had to narrow the width a little but since the revo spur is thicker than normal it is now the same thickness as a kyosho plastic spur. I am sure the spur will be strong enough since it normally runs with a nitro clutch against it in a revo.
I will be running at a loose 1/8 scale track sunday so if any rocks ect will be a problem I should see it. If I am happy with the results I will post more detailed info on what it took to make it work.
Old 07-24-2010, 05:17 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Does anybody else who has this chassis have their spur gear go past the bottom of the chassis? Is there a part I need to correct this?
Old 07-24-2010, 06:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gsrman4885
Does anybody else who has this chassis have their spur gear go past the bottom of the chassis? Is there a part I need to correct this?
You'll need to shim the diff assembly up about 1mm.. the stock chassis is 4mm thick and the HHH is 3.175mm
Old 07-24-2010, 06:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

hey guys!

what set up is everyone running? I haven't had much time to really dial in my car yet I'm still running Jesse Robbers indoor CRCRC set up for my home indoor track which seems "ok" but it could be way better! Due to personal life outside of RC's, my cars have been on the back burner for 2 months now. Believe me guys I'm jonesing to run!

HH, I'm not sure if I'll be able to make the Monster Energy race on the 7th, I have to return the rental car saturday morning, and my buddy I'm staying with has to work that day unless I can find a ride from Buena Park to Revelations. But I can meet up with you at on 31th or any other day during the week... I'll give you call when I'm in the area.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:11 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

What are you using to shim it 1mm?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.