Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Electric 1/8

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 08:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I see electric 1/8 taking over nitro at some point. Right now, I think electric is taking over where there is already a strong 1/10 scene or indoor tracks. The hold outs are going to be where it is easy to run nitro without fear of noise pollution for the most part.

At this point, the only thing that is holding electric 1/8 back is reliability of the ESCs and battery technology that will allow for longer run times (30-45 mins) in a plug and play fashion for newbs without really having to know electric calculus.
Old 07-02-2010, 08:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)
Default nitro

Ok i admit i might be getting the d8 with werks b5 or b6 and gonna use the werks 2013 pipe because there is alot of e-buggies,but i want to run both classes nitro and electric.My hyper 9e is already taken care of but i miss the nitrobuggies so i might be getting a nitro buggy.But yes there alot more elctric 1/8 in indoor applications so it will slowly be coming out more and ready to go high flyin.
Old 07-02-2010, 11:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Once the E8 sensored ESCs become more reliable I can see this class taking off nicely.

I'm more of a nitro guy, but I recently bought a 1.0 8E and I was very very impressed, so now I'm building a VE8. In the end I think I like E8th better. However, the 8E is setup on a sensorless 5S Xcelorin package and it definitely requires a different driving style than the nitros. Here's some tidbits from the peanut gallery:
  • Sensorless can be notchy at low speeds. It's manageable but you must maintain corner speed to avoid cogging and traction loss.
  • There is no clutch feel (cept for Tekno conversion) so power delivery is instant. You must learn to use your throttle finger better. No blipping. Electric 10th racers will upscale easily. They already know how to roll on and roll off.
  • Motor brakes feel very different from mechanical brakes, no ability to tune front to rear bias. A few conversions and the VE8 have a mech brake option.
  • Consider this: battery costs are equivalent to a years worth of nitro.
  • Mixing nitro and electric is dicey because of runtimes and pitting. Setup E8 powerplants wisely and you can have an advantage.
  • Neighborhood friendly. 8E does not have noise issues.
  • Nitro is no fun to breathe indoors. Electric has a more permanent home in indoor facilities.
  • Less of a learning curve for new 8th scale recruits. I'm not sure that's good for the premier class, but it is what it is. Sadly, tuning engines and clutch setups is a dying art.

There is much to talk about with nitro vs. electric 8th. They both have a place so I own both (nitro truggies, nitro buggy, electric buggies). Electric has come a long way and it's here to stay. Personally, I will build a backyard practice track for electric 8th and 10th and eventually run club races. Now I don't have to worry about pissing off the neighborhood.
Old 07-02-2010, 11:24 AM
Tech Elite

Default electric

I love the electric 8th scale buggies and truggies but mine can get in some trouble if i apply to much power.That would be pretty cool to have a backyard track and lay down some fast laps.
Old 07-02-2010, 02:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tc5 man
how did you blow a engine up from tuning lol ? all you need is smoke coming from the pipe to tell if its running too lean.
Just my inexperience and going the wrong way. And here the weather changes so much that even the experienced guys are chasing the tuning all the time. So I just fine it easier to go Electric That and I am a Geek so I am into the Electronic stuff

Originally Posted by kman16jr
once you learn how to tune you might just have fun with nitro,I only quit nitro because i forgot many vital things to run it all the time at my house when i go to the track and realiza i forgot my gas,Glow ignitor still charging.I know people had that problem before.
Like I said Above. It;s just not as fun
Old 07-02-2010, 02:13 PM
Tech Prophet

[QUOTE=jdeadman;7620601]Just my inexperience and going the wrong way. And here the weather changes so much that even the experienced guys are chasing the tuning all the time. So I just fine it easier to go Electric That and I am a Geek so I am into the Electronic stuff

since i see that you live, in canada i understand what you mean .

yea im kind of a dumb dumb, with understanding electric compents lol.

thats why i have a nitro and a simple stock slash .

and i forgot im still new to tuneing a engine and im learning still and i like that.

i usally just use a all alum clutch setup , with meduim springs on it and keep the same temp glow plug and usally runs good.

Like I said Above. It;s just not as fun

Last edited by tc5 man; 07-02-2010 at 02:29 PM.
Old 07-02-2010, 02:20 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I race in the middle TN area and just one year ago we were lucky to have enough to run a E buggy class, about half the time I had to run with the nitro buggys and that was fine in the heats but sucked in the mains because I wasn't allowed to pit. But now we are the largest class and still growing! I think it's because electric is much less intimidating than nitro...plug and play.
Old 07-03-2010, 10:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

george, we missed you last night. We almost had a C main. 18 e-buggies
Old 07-03-2010, 12:31 PM
Tech Regular

Default XeRun and Tekin

I've been running electric 1/8 buggies for a year now.
Started out with AE RC8e and Mamba/Castle 2650kv on 4S, and ended up with converting a couple of used Mugen's running Tekin 1900kv 5S and XeRun 150A.
I am now happy with a more solid car and plenty of smooth power (although sensorless) Less trouble with XeRun 150A than MMM...
Old 07-03-2010, 12:34 PM
Tech Elite

Default electric

Yeah i heard the mugens are harder to setup though, but did hear good things about the ez-run 150's were pretty good.Electric buggies and truggies are awesome!!!
Old 07-03-2010, 12:41 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by stigno
I've been running electric 1/8 buggies for a year now.
Started out with AE RC8e and Mamba/Castle 2650kv on 4S, and ended up with converting a couple of used Mugen's running Tekin 1900kv 5S and XeRun 150A.
I am now happy with a more solid car and plenty of smooth power (although sensorless) Less trouble with XeRun 150A than MMM...
This is not the black EzRun, but the newer blue XeRun...

Mugen is ok if you use a soft rear setup...

And I agree: electric is awesome

Last edited by stigno; 07-03-2010 at 12:51 PM.
Old 07-03-2010, 01:00 PM
Tech Elite

Default system

Ohh the one with the blue motor that has the cooling fans and the smaller blue esc.Those pretty nice systems,my buddy put one in his ve8 and it is really smooth and fast.+1 for a good system.
Old 07-03-2010, 02:22 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by kman16jr
Ok i admit i might be getting the d8 with werks b5 or b6 and gonna use the werks 2013 pipe because there is alot of e-buggies,but i want to run both classes nitro and electric.My hyper 9e is already taken care of but i miss the nitrobuggies so i might be getting a nitro buggy.But yes there alot more elctric 1/8 in indoor applications so it will slowly be coming out more and ready to go high flyin.

once you go back to nitro, you wont want to come back to electric .

its like a drug lol.
Old 07-03-2010, 02:33 PM
Tech Elite

Default buggies

I know that but now i have to sell my 2wd's to get to the d8 or get the losi 8ight 2.0 rtr because i want a complete package so i can upgrade part at a time.I already have all of the raceroller parts so it will be a racertr.
Old 07-03-2010, 05:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

It sucks that you can't buy the Losi 8ight-e as a kit. I don't want the cr@ppy electronics that come with the race roller.

To me, only offering a RTR/race roller means one of two things:
1) You don't think your product is "pro-worthy" enough to offer as a kit.
2) You're a greedy company that doesn't have a clue so you force people to buy your crappy electronics that both you and they know are going to be "throw away" for most customers, driving up your ASP at the sake of delivering the right product to the customer - sacrificing long-term brand loyalty.

I guarantee this strategy hurts Losi's bottom line. This is a company looking at assets like their line of motors and ESCs and saying, "people want our 1/8 buggy so let's cram as much sh!t into the box as we can so we can justify charging a higher price than the competition." This leaves a window open for a much smarter competitor, like AE, to come in and say, "build it the way you want it for less money." and AE offers a "good, better, best" solution in their RTR, Kit, and Factory Team kit. They will make way more money selling a FT kit with their high quality LRP electronics separately than Losi will with their single offering. Losi just doesn't get it.

Not saying AE is perfect but their product strategy makes much more sense to me, as a business man.

Sigh...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.