Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Cracked a Lipo today >

Cracked a Lipo today

Cracked a Lipo today

Old 06-20-2010, 06:57 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Cracked a Lipo today

Unfortunately from being so new to the hobby and wrecking more often than more experienced drivers, my 2nd biggest battery of 3, came out of its straps and must of hit the ground hard in one of my wrecks and cracked on my Losi 8ight-E 2.0

It was a 5.8 mah 4s turnigy Lipo, estimates to replace are in the $60 new range.

Heres what Im thinking

1. Crash less
2. get smaller battery's that wont come out as easy
3. Check the battery tray to see if the battery came out of its straps after its last wreck perhaps? Kind of a pain in the ass, but if it will save me $150 in the future, well worth it.
4. Is there anyway I can upgrade the battery tray so they will not come out from the straps as easily in wrecks?

Please give me some input on how I can prevent destroying my next expensive Lipo, because I got a 5s thats even bigger than the one I cracked that would of for surely broken as well.
Old 06-20-2010, 07:01 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JimmyS1985
Unfortunately from being so new to the hobby and wrecking more often than more experienced drivers, my 2nd biggest battery of 3, came out of its straps and must of hit the ground hard in one of my wrecks and cracked on my Losi 8ight-E 2.0

It was a 5.8 mah 4s turnigy Lipo, estimates to replace are in the $60 new range.

Heres what Im thinking

1. Crash less
2. get smaller battery's that wont come out as easy
3. Check the battery tray to see if the battery came out of its straps after its last wreck perhaps? Kind of a pain in the ass, but if it will save me $150 in the future, well worth it.
4. Is there anyway I can upgrade the battery tray so they will not come out from the straps as easily in wrecks?

Please give me some input on how I can prevent destroying my next expensive Lipo, because I got a 5s thats even bigger than the one I cracked that would of for surely broken as well.
why are your batteries coming out of that tray? im thinking tighten your straps. . . . .

velco your batteries to the bottom of the tray then strap them in. . . . . . period

Done!
Old 06-20-2010, 08:15 PM
Tech Regular

Should I be getting one of these to replace my battery?

How hard is it to soder on a deans connector and what type of sodering iron would it take?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s..._25C_Lipo_Pack

edit: previous owner recommends I go smaller, like 4s 5000 mah.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:33 PM
Tech Regular

How hard is it to soldier on a deans connector and what type of soldiering iron would it take?

That battery will work fine. . . . . . assuming that is what you power system is set up for

I don't see how physical battery size is effecting anything? if it is in a 1/8 buggy, how did it hit the ground? Did you completely eject the battery? The size shouldn't effect how well your battery's hang in there, unless they are not secured at all?????

Deans will soldier just fine, but soldiering that 8awg wire will be tricky - - make sure to insulate the joints!
Old 06-20-2010, 09:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by annonymous
why are your batteries coming out of that tray? im thinking tighten your straps. . . . .

velco your batteries to the bottom of the tray then strap them in. . . . . . period
Done!
Absolutely!!
Old 06-20-2010, 10:40 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by brofroe
Absolutely!!
Wish I knew about that, but I did not find it out til $90 later and a busted Lipo.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:58 PM
Tech Regular

Thumbs up

Wish I knew about that, but I did not find it out til $90 later and a busted Lipo.
dont forget to salt water treat the lipo before you trash it., . .
Old 06-21-2010, 02:07 AM

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by annonymous
dont forget to salt water treat the lipo before you trash it., . .
I never heard of that??
Old 06-21-2010, 02:29 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LOSIRACER77
I never heard of that??
Dont pop it in the trash coz there's potential for lipo battery fire. look under lipo battery fire at youtube and you'll see how intense the flames can be. Dunking the cells in saltwater will help 'de-charge' and always keep them in a pot of sand or in a lipo safe fire retardant bag.

I've seen one of these batteries flame up and we were not ready for the fire.
Old 06-21-2010, 03:56 AM

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BigBellyCat
Dont pop it in the trash coz there's potential for lipo battery fire. look under lipo battery fire at youtube and you'll see how intense the flames can be. Dunking the cells in saltwater will help 'de-charge' and always keep them in a pot of sand or in a lipo safe fire retardant bag.

I've seen one of these batteries flame up and we were not ready for the fire.
I believe you on the fire, I seen a enclosed trailer fire Saturday cause of a lipo, on top of that there was a full gallon on nitro sitting close to it. Lucky we had dry chemical fire ( I can't spell it) extinguishers in the other trailers. Lost 2 charger power supply, 4s lipo, 5 cell receiver pack, 2 1/8 tire and a glow plug charger.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:59 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Those are good. I got the "40C" version last month for a few bucks more. It is an excellent battery.

The 4500mah Turnigy hardcase is good too - $40 - if you don't mind having 500mah less. I got one too.

How hard is it to soder on a deans connector and what type of sodering iron would it take?

Old 06-21-2010, 09:43 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by vannon
Those are good. I got the "40C" version last month for a few bucks more. It is an excellent battery.

The 4500mah Turnigy hardcase is good too - $40 - if you don't mind having 500mah less. I got one too.
I can confirm that. I have 3 Turnigy 4S 5000mah 40C lipo's and they are perfect. I charge them at 1C at home and 2C at the track. They are rated for 5C charging so you can still go faster when needed.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:26 AM
Tech Apprentice

I would look at EC-5's instead of Deans. Deans are ok for the 1/10 stuff but they are only rated for around 50 - 60 amps. I have personally had them un-soldier from the pack on my 4 cells.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:31 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The 8AWG wires are hard to get into EC5's IMO - tried them last time, if only they had come with 10AWG or smaller, would have been better. I may have been doing something wrong, but that was my experience with 8AWG. Otherwise, EC5's are great to solder in, just make sure you have a pool of solder in the sockets, if you know what I mean.

Originally Posted by turbonutt
I would look at EC-5's instead of Deans. Deans are ok for the 1/10 stuff but they are only rated for around 50 - 60 amps. I have personally had them un-soldier from the pack on my 4 cells.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:32 AM
Tech Regular

I wound up ordering a Turnigy 5000mah 4s 35c from hobbyking for $88. I think the smaller size will be less likely to fall out of the straps and also result in better cornering and braking.

What is the "C" number mean? Isnt it discharge rate, hence more power?

Now I need to work on properly disposing of the battery.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.