Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 12:58 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

ball diff made my lap times improve by 2secs
Old 06-16-2010, 01:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

I use this and it comparable to a well tuned diff.http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXNXJ0&P=7
Old 06-16-2010, 01:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by losifiend
I use this and it comparable to a well tuned diff.http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXNXJ0&P=7
I used that stuff in the front diff (gear) of my Yokomo GT-4 to get it to act like a spool.

I'm in agreement with no passenger. A ball diff does act like a limited slip which is how I explain the difference to others. One thing I noticed in SC that wasn't as noticable in ST or buggy was that with the increased body roll of the SC the inside wheels would get light and cause the truck to diff out slowing it down until both wheels regained traction. A ball diff will still power the wheel with traction giving you more out of the corner acceleration.

As far as maintenance goes, well, the ball diff is as good as you build it. If you think gear diffs don't need to be serviced, you are mistaken. Wear in the gears requires shimming to maintain proper gear mesh. How fast those gears wear out depends on material, tolerances and how hot a motor you use. I have gear diffs on my 1/8 scales and crawlers which I have to tear down every month or 6 races/comps to relube and shim the gears. With a ball diff I just insert the allen key and turn the wheel, done. Most of the time when a ball diff feels gritty is because the thrust bearing is dry or dirty, easy to fix.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:51 PM
Tech Prophet

yea but if your talking about running, in a stock sc class or a spec class you cant use any diff mods ball diffs/, diff oils/diff lock as i know of.

although i am guilty of using diff lock, putty in the gear diff on the slash but i just leaked out everywhere.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:54 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

What about running a spool?

To much over steer?
Old 06-16-2010, 02:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tc5 man
yea but if your talking about running, in a stock sc class or a spec class you cant use any diff mods ball diffs/, diff oils/diff lock as i know of.

although i am guilty of using diff lock, putty in the gear diff on the slash but i just leaked out everywhere.
Really, it leaked? I have been using the OFNA stuff I posted above since the slash was released and have never had it leak out. As a matter of fact, its a pain to get cleaned out of there. Possibly if you get one tire to unload too much it will get hot, thin out, and leak. But I have never had that happen.

Xtream RC Magazine did a shootout between ball diffs and gear diffs. The consensus was that thicker oil in a gear diff worked better than a ball diff. The thicker the oil, the higher the cornering speeds they were able to achieve with out spinning out. The test was done on a damp packed clay, in an indoor track.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:13 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by losifiend
Really, it leaked? I have been using the OFNA stuff I posted above since the slash was released and have never had it leak out. As a matter of fact, its a pain to get cleaned out of there. Possibly if you get one tire to unload too much it will get hot, thin out, and leak. But I have never had that happen.

Xtream RC Magazine did a shootout between ball diffs and gear diffs. The consensus was that thicker oil in a gear diff worked better than a ball diff. The thicker the oil, the higher the cornering speeds they were able to achieve with out spinning out. The test was done on a damp packed clay, in an indoor track.
Do you have a copy of the Xtreme RC test you could post?
Old 06-16-2010, 02:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FrankB
Do you have a copy of the Xtreme RC test you could post?
It was in Part 2 of their SC shootout. Last month's issue (May) I think.
Old 06-16-2010, 03:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

So, before I dump my gear diff I should perhaps try thicker diff lube?

Mine steps out right now if I get on the gas too hard.

ben